Notes with New Text File with Tag 4.0 (nvALT, direct paste, new file in Finder and more)

This is amazing workflow. Thank you so much.

I am having a little problem though. When I paste some content from Firefox and make the workflow creat a text note using the clipboard,  the link is not correct. It seems to insert the link from prevous window, rather than the currently open window.

If I clip a text  from this blog for example, while I should ge the link to this blog (as http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/719-notes-with-new-text-file-with-tag-30-nvalt-direct-paste-and-now-with-new-file-in-finder/), the link I actually get is the google search window (https://www.google.no/search?q=workflow+nvalt+alfred&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

What mistake did I make?

This is amazing workflow. Thank you so much.

I am having a little problem though. When I paste some content from Firefox and make the workflow creat a text note using the clipboard,  the link is not correct. It seems to insert the link from prevous window, rather than the currently open window.

If I clip a text  from this blog for example, while I should ge the link to this blog (as http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/719-notes-with-new-text-file-with-tag-30-nvalt-direct-paste-and-now-with-new-file-in-finder/), the link I actually get is the google search window (https://www.google.no/search?q=workflow+nvalt+alfred&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

What mistake did I make?

Unfortunately Firefox does not provide a direct way to get the current tab/window title and link. There is no support for AppleScript.

The workflow uses a known workaround that, sometimes, requires a page refresh or reload in order to work properly.

Safari and Chrome have AppleScript support and they work without any problem.

In resume, reload or refresh the page before getting the clip.

Unfortunately Firefox does not provide a direct way to get the current tab/window title and link. There is no support for AppleScript.

The workflow uses a known workaround that, sometimes, requires a page refresh or reload in order to work properly.

Safari and Chrome have AppleScript support and they work without any problem.

In resume, reload or refresh the page before getting the clip.

Thank you for the explanation. I will try to refresh the pages. One more point:  I was trying to automat the process using Keyboard Maestro; to snipe from the browsers to insert into nvALT via your workflow. After I typed the key word NEWF (that I made KM to do so), the Loading of the scripts seems to take a little longer. That made the outcome incosistent. I get my snippets effectively pasted only occasionally. Is it possible to make the Loading process faster? (probably by removing removing the rest of the  scripts in the workflow, singling out only the "New Text from Clipboard" script)

Cheers!

Edited by Dellu

Thank you for the explanation. I will try to refresh the pages. One more point:  I was trying to automat the process using Keyboard Maestro; to snipe from the browsers to insert into nvALT via your workflow. After I typed the key word NEWF (that I made KM to do so), the Loading of the scripts seems to take a little longer. That made the outcome incosistent. I get my snippets effectively pasted only occasionally. Is it possible to make the Loading process faster? (probably by removing removing the rest of the  scripts in the workflow, singling out only the "New Text from Clipboard" script)

Cheers!

Please, download and try a release candidate of version 4.0 of the workflow.

There is a hotkey for New File From Clipboard (the second one in the workflow). You can set Keyboard Maestro to trigger the hotkey instead of the keyword which should be faster.

In addition, note that the new version uses the keyword nf instead of newf and ns instead of news. Type the keyword nf? for additional help.

Downlaod 4.0 RC

Awesome, but there is a small bug: if you append to journal using shift and you hold shift down after pressing enter, it sends some keys to the app (probably a cmd+shift+C) -- although I guess it does not have to do that to append to the journal?

Awesome, but there is a small bug: if you append to journal using shift and you hold shift down after pressing enter, it sends some keys to the app (probably a cmd+shift+C) -- although I guess it does not have to do that to append to the journal?

The workflow waits for 0.5 seconds for you to release the shift key so please be faster otherwise I’ll have to increase the delay. :)

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Your workflow is great and seems to do everything I want it to do.

I'm having one problem. My file naming structure ends with a date format as follows YYYY.MM.DD . But the last part (.DD) is being cutoff. I suspect this has something to do with some conflict with the file extension. Is there anything I can do on my end (other than changing my naming structure :P)?

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Your workflow is great and seems to do everything I want it to do.

I'm having one problem. My file naming structure ends with a date format as follows YYYY.MM.DD . But the last part (.DD) is being cutoff. I suspect this has something to do with some conflict with the file extension. Is there anything I can do on my end (other than changing my naming structure :P)?

Try to type the extension after the date.

I’m planing to add timestamp to filename like in my batch rename workflow. This can make things faster for you.

Here is a release Candidate 5 of the workflow that adds date variables for the filename: $m (month as number), $mm (month), $d (day), $w (weekday), $y (year), $h (hour), $n (minute), $s (second)

How to use: nf #my name $y.$m.$d

Result (where .txt is the default extension): my name 2013.05.26.txt

Download now

What is new in RC5 (the official release is coming soon, just making some final tests):

• streamlined features focused on content creation
  • keyword nf instead of newf
  • keyword ns instead of news
  • prepend or append text to any file in working folder
  • custom date format that will be used in Journal, Prepend and Append features
  • easily add text from Mail app (selected or all email content) along with basic email information and link or URL
  • select plain URL or Markdown URL format
  • workflow preferences and initial setup within Alfred
  • keyword nf? for Help within Alfred too
  • you can tag any file from search feature: type ns keyword, highlight a file, hold option key and hit return: a list of openmeta recent tags will be displayed in Alfred (select one or create new tags separated by commas)
  • New Note now works more like the other features: tags#note here or #note here
  • improved search module (keyword ns)
  • add a custom timestamp to the filename using variables
  • fn key is not used by default due wired Apple keyboards
  • workflow update to Alfred 2.0.3 (187)
  • removed Copy Text File from Finder

Hi there,

I love your App. It really helps.

However, I wonder if its a bug that you can give files only names with a certain amount of characters? I have rather complex file names and so there is always something missing. If I understood your previous post correctly, typing in the file extension should help. It doesn't. 

If I type in "nf #refXsglwXerktheo Huber, Oskar, huber23, 148, Traffic Horses Streets Noise" it comes out as 

"refXsglwXerktheo Huber, Oskar, huber23, 148, Traffic Horses .md"

I have tried it with both current versions (the RC and the normal one). 

Thanks again for this quite helpful thingie

Edited by mervin

Hi there,

However, I wonder if its a bug that you can give files only names with a certain amount of characters? I have rather complex file names and so there is always something missing. If I understood your previous post correctly, typing in the file extension should help. It doesn't. 

If I type in "nf #refXsglwXerktheo Huber, Oskar, huber23, 148, Traffic Horses Streets Noise" it comes out as 

Right now the workflow is parsing the filename as if it was from clipboard which is not the case.

I’ll fix it and post a new RC in a few hours or less.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi there,

OK. Please test RC 6: Download

Works great now, thanks!!

I wonder, whats the point of giving a timestamp format? Is it supposed to be added automatically to the end of the file name? That it doesn't do.

In the current RC you can use the variable $t to add a time stamp to a filename.

Version 4.0 is out:

• streamlined features focused on content creation
  • keyword nf instead of newf
  • keyword ns instead of news
  • prepend or append text to any file in working folder
  • custom date format that will be used in Journal, Prepend and Append features
  • custom filename timestamp ($t) that can be used to create a filename
  • easily add text from Mail app (selected or all email content) along with basic email information and link or URL
  • select plain URL or Markdown URL format
  • workflow preferences and initial setup within Alfred
  • keyword nf? for Help within Alfred too
  • you can tag any file from search feature: type ns keyword, highlight a file, hold option key and hit return: a list of openmeta recent tags will be displayed in Alfred (select one or create new tags separated by commas)
  • New Note now works more like the other features: tags#note here or #note here
  • improved search module (keyword ns)
  • add a custom timestamp to the filename using variables
  • fn key is not used by default due wired Apple keyboards
  • workflow update to Alfred 2.0.3 (187)
  • removed Copy Text File from Finder

Download Now

Edited by Carlos-Sz
  • 2 weeks later...

I updated to 4.0 and am having the same problem with the file extension and date stamp. I saw your reply about adding the extension myself so I probably should explain the workflow that is causing the problem.

My text file are named like this CATEGORYx - FILE NAME - YYYY.MM.DD.txt . Because all my files are named like this and because I'm creating text files for certain categories on a regular basis, and on multiple devices, I've created a TextExpander snippet for file names. I have a snippet for each category and the snippet places the cursor where the file name would go, so in other words the cursor is placed in the middle of all that text. However, in all other situations, be it in Byword, nvALT, Drafts, etc. I don't need the .txt extension at the end of that snippet because those programs add it for me (or don't show it at all). But with this Alfred workflow when I use my snippet the DD gets cut off in favour of the .txt extension.

I'd like to try to get around this without having to create a whole new set of naming snippets just for Alfred.

I updated to 4.0 and am having the same problem with the file extension and date stamp. I saw your reply about adding the extension myself so I probably should explain the workflow that is causing the problem.

My text file are named like this CATEGORYx - FILE NAME - YYYY.MM.DD.txt . Because all my files are named like this and because I'm creating text files for certain categories on a regular basis, and on multiple devices, I've created a TextExpander snippet for file names. I have a snippet for each category and the snippet places the cursor where the file name would go, so in other words the cursor is placed in the middle of all that text. However, in all other situations, be it in Byword, nvALT, Drafts, etc. I don't need the .txt extension at the end of that snippet because those programs add it for me (or don't show it at all). But with this Alfred workflow when I use my snippet the DD gets cut off in favour of the .txt extension.

I'd like to try to get around this without having to create a whole new set of naming snippets just for Alfred.

The workflow is cutting the DD that is the current day, right? The TextExpander snippet pastes something like CATEGORYx - FILE NAME - 2013.06.09, right?

I’ll see what I can do so you don’t have to change your snippets.

Can you please try the version below?

It won’t consider a number as a valid plain-text extension so the date pasted by TextExpander will not be cropped.

Make sure to use the latest Alfred 2 version because this workflow version is also adding some of the new Alfred features for workflows.

Downalod now

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great workflow!

I was looking exactly for such a workflow. 

Is it possible to add option to open created txt file immediately with default text editor?

For example command nf - creates file and doesn't open it

and nfo command - creates and opens file. 

It would be great help

• 3 weeks later...

Great workflow!

I was looking exactly for such a workflow. 

Is it possible to add option to open created txt file immediately with default text editor?

For example command nf - creates file and doesn't open it

and nfo command - creates and opens file. 

It would be great help

Right now it opens as a default action. I’ll have to see how can I fit another command. Thank you for your feedback.

• 1 month later...

Hello, and congratulations for this amazing workflow!

I don't understand how to search notes with tags only. I tried "ns t:tag1,tag2" but it doesn't work.

I'd want to be able to search notes with multiple tags, as nvALT isn't able to do that.

Thanks in advance for your answer. 

I have made a small update so the workflows accept up to 3 tags separated by comma e.g. ns t:tag1,tag2,tag3

Downlaod now

Let me know if it is working for you.

Thank you for your feedback.