Request/help: Lorem Ipsum Generator

So, it took me a little longer than anticipated because I ran into an issue. I swapped to getting the result as json instead of parsing HTML and so, when you request multiple items (i.e. 2 paragraphs) the line breaks between them was messing up the json.

Download

Lipsum keyword allows you to select what it is that you want, then just enter the amount, or, there are defaults

Usage:

lipsum - Grabs the selected type with a default amount

lipsum 3 - Grabs 3 of the selected item

So, it took me a little longer than anticipated because I ran into an issue. I swapped to getting the result as json instead of parsing HTML and so, when you request multiple items (i.e. 2 paragraphs) the line breaks between them was messing up the json.

Download

Lipsum keyword allows you to select what it is that you want, then just enter the amount, or, there are defaults

Usage:

lipsum - Grabs the selected type with a default amount

lipsum 3 - Grabs 3 of the selected item

Huge thanks!

Awesome:

Sed eget arcu turpis, vitae eleifend massa. Nulla pretium, justo id euismod convallis, ligula tortor mattis augue, eu facilisis sapien dui nec ante. Maecenas ipsum elit, mattis posuere blandit eu, fermentum feugiat enim. Fusce placerat felis ac enim interdum commodo. Suspendisse ultrices congue mauris eu tempor. Nulla facilisi. Sed ut sapien arcu, ut tempor leo.

Awesome:

Sed eget arcu turpis, vitae eleifend massa. Nulla pretium, justo id euismod convallis, ligula tortor mattis augue, eu facilisis sapien dui nec ante. Maecenas ipsum elit, mattis posuere blandit eu, fermentum feugiat enim. Fusce placerat felis ac enim interdum commodo. Suspendisse ultrices congue mauris eu tempor. Nulla facilisi. Sed ut sapien arcu, ut tempor leo.

I don't understand what you're saying. Can you speak English? (obviously kidding :))

• 2 months later...

Any chance of getting this to offer to generate x characters of lipsum text? :-)

Maybe? I just set it up to grab data directly from lipsum.com. They don't currently offer a X characters option. So this would either have to be generated or queried from another source.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

@jcwacky What does "overkill" mean? The workflow isn't huge, you don’t have to use the other features, and it's trivial to add a Script Filter that goes directly to the Lipsum feature.

If the paragraphs are too short, I can add an option to specify their length (the underlying library defaults to 3 sentences, but that's configurable and I can easily expose that option to workflow users).

Most importantly, the workflow is maintained and entirely self-contained, so it isn't going to stop working if an API changes, a server is inaccessible or if you're simply offline.

As theoretically better as David's workflow may be, it’s essentially abandoned. The download link is dead, and David — quite understandably — hasn’t had much time for the Alfred community since he became a father (his last post was almost a year ago).

If one of you would like to fork, fix and maintain the workflow, that'd be great. If not, then it's only a matter of time till it stops working again.

Also, a good tip for anyone using curl in a workflow: Always add -L to curl calls, so it follows redirects. If David had done that, his workflow would still be working. (But I wouldn't recommend that as a fix.)