Workflows Wish List

There are certain extensions that I had with Alfred V1 that aren't currently in V2 that I'm hoping to see soon. I wish I could do this stuff on my own but alas I have no earthly idea how to do any of that stuff. If these already exist, GREAT, please post a link so I can find it. Otherwise, I hope someone creates these, I'd really appreciate it.

1. Force Empty Trash - I use this so often its a shame it doesn't exist for V2

2. Force Memory Purge - another great one that I use often

3. Toggle System Files - getting to my library folder used to be so easy with V1 but now its a bit of an ordeal. 

4. Thesaurus - I could have sworn this one was in V2 but I can't find it. 

Thanks so much in advance. 

There are certain extensions that I had with Alfred V1 that aren't currently in V2 that I'm hoping to see soon. I wish I could do this stuff on my own but alas I have no earthly idea how to do any of that stuff. If these already exist, GREAT, please post a link so I can find it. Otherwise, I hope someone creates these, I'd really appreciate it.

3. Toggle System Files - getting to my library folder used to be so easy with V1 but now its a bit of an ordeal. 

1. I'd have to look in to.

2. If you are referring to just running the purge command,  I moved that from v1 to v2 and it shows the amount of free mem before and after. Someone else may have created it as well.

3. Toggle System Files, I'm pretty sure several people have made. Check out the Share Your Workflows area. There's tons of stuff in there.

4. Thesaurus, you've probably heard me talking about. When I made it for v1 it just scraped the output page of thesaurus.com. They have an API now that would be much more efficient and faster but you have to request access to it. I've requested it several times and they haven't replied. I tried at Meriam-Webster too and that site sucks. I created an account to get an API key, after I logged in, it flashed and all of a sudden I'm logged in as someone else. I can see their email address and all that too. Scary. Then I magically no longer had an account. I created another account but it never gave me API keys. I just tried to log in again but apparently my account is gone, again haha. I'll try to find another way to do it.

If by 'force empty trash' you mean do it without confirmation, I think Alfred's settings allow you to disable any confirmation dialog.

I know I have a 'memory purge' and 'show system files' workflow, but not on me right now; I'll see if I can find those for you. Also, you can create a workflow with a keyword of 'library' that opens your library folder; if you want help doing that, let me know :)

Thesaurus functionality was never part of Alfred's core (as far as I know); my Wolfram|Alpha workflow (http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/655-wolframalpha-workflow/) can get synonyms, but you would need to type 'w synonyms for {query}' to get specific results.

Thanks you 2. I really appreciate it. I'll look through the forums again for the Show System Files workflow. I couldn't find it the first couple of times looking but maybe I just missed it. Tyler, if you could help me with the Library folder that would be great. If you could link those two workflows for memory purge and show system files that would be great!

In terms of the Force Empty Trash, this is the link to the V1 Extension: http://phase1geo.tumblr.com/post/10587536897/alfred-extension-force-empty-trash

I had no idea that a Thesaurus workflow would be so tricky. Its all good. I can just use google. No need to spend your time on something like that. But I'm going to try that Wolfram Alpha workflow, see if that jives with me. 

Thanks again you 2. 

Thanks you 2. I really appreciate it. I'll look through the forums again for the Show System Files workflow. I couldn't find it the first couple of times looking but maybe I just missed it. Tyler, if you could help me with the Library folder that would be great. If you could link those two workflows for memory purge and show system files that would be great!

In terms of the Force Empty Trash, this is the link to the V1 Extension: http://phase1geo.tumblr.com/post/10587536897/alfred-extension-force-empty-trash

I had no idea that a Thesaurus workflow would be so tricky. Its all good. I can just use google. No need to spend your time on something like that. But I'm going to try that Wolfram Alpha workflow, see if that jives with me. 

Thanks again you 2. 

Here's a workflow by Sayz Lim containing various system functions (including purge RAM and toggle hidden files); I can't find the original post  :(

Here's a simple workflow (by me) that opens the ~/Library folder in Finder or Alfred.

Looks like GamerChase took care of the Force Empty Trash workflow  ;)

Thanks for trying my Wolfram|Alpha workflow!  :) I hope you like it; you can always post feedback (good or bad) on it's forum page (here it is again: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/655-wolframalpha-workflow/).

Thesaurus Workflow: 

You could always access the built-in dictionaries that the native Dictionary.app uses. They don't work with Applescript, so you can't use that. If you know ObjectiveC, then you could always write a quick utility (look up Dictionary Services).

An alternative is to use Python. Poking around, I found this thread, which references a Python script that can poke through the dictionaries that are already there. The thread is a bit old, so I don't know if the Python utility still works.

Also, someone might be able to port Alfred2's native "define" function to reference any of the Thesauruses that are pre-loaded on the Mac.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do any of the above, so I just instead offer the suggestion to use the built-in ones (which are pretty damn good) that will work offline.

Shawn

I have a workflow request: I am a Podio user and can add tasks by sending emails to a specific email address. I would love to be able to create the subject and the body text of an email going to a specific address right from Alfred (ideally without having to go through the Mail.app.)

if you have ideas on how to achieve this, I am available for testing, 

jac

• 2 weeks later...

You might be able to do this by creating a workflow in which you can setup some aliases for the email addresses and then send the clipboard text to the address... unless the email text would be very short, then it could be just taken from the Alfred arguments.

I found a way to do it quickly via AppleScript (http://www.hackmac.org/forum/topic/341-send-email-using-applescript/). Example:

set recipientName to "WhiteHat"
set recipientAddress to "someemail@here.com"
set theSubject to "Type your subject here!"
set theContent to "Type your message content here!"

tell application "Mail"

##Create the message
        set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject, content:theContent, visible:true}

##Set a recipient
        tell theMessage
                make new to recipient with properties {name:recipientName, address:recipientAddress}

##Send the Message
                send

end tell
end tell

Maybe customize that for your use. Let me know if you need more help with it.