Use Function Keys with Hotkey

Is there currently a way to do this and I'm just missing something? For instance, I would like to launch an app via Command F1. Does anyone know how to get the function keys to show up when creating a workflow? Just thought I would check before posting as a feature suggestion. Thanks.

Is there currently a way to do this and I'm just missing something? For instance, I would like to launch an app via Command F1. Does anyone know how to get the function keys to show up when creating a workflow? Just thought I would check before posting as a feature suggestion. Thanks.

You can also launch System Preferences and go to Keyboard on the Keyboard tab. Then check the 'Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' to have them output F1, etc. by default. But, then you need to hold the 'fn' key when you want the system function, e.g., increase volume, brighten screen, etc.

Since I work in a Java IDE 90% of the day, I use function keys _way_ more then system function keys, so it's a no-brainer switch for me. Your mileage may vary. 

Very easy to do and you do NOT have to use Fn key.

Open Alfred Preferences

Open Workflow Panel

Click on + symbol and select "Template--Files and Apps--Launch File…

Double Click on "Hotkey" Field

Enter HotKey you want to use and select Pass Through Workflow

Double click on Launch Apps/File" field

Select App you want to launch

Save

Very easy to do and you do NOT have to use Fn key.

Open Alfred Preferences

Open Workflow Panel

Click on + symbol and select "Template--Files and Apps--Launch File…

Double Click on "Hotkey" Field

Enter HotKey you want to use and select Pass Through Workflow

Double click on Launch Apps/File" field

Select App you want to launch

Save

This is where I'm stuck. When I click on the 'Launch Apps/File' field, no Apps appear at all. The only option I have is to drag and drop a type of file. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

This is where I'm stuck. When I click on the 'Launch Apps/File' field, no Apps appear at all. The only option I have is to drag and drop a type of file. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

The 'Launch Apps / Files' action will not give you a list of apps to choose from; you must drag the apps and/or files into the area. My favorite way of doing this is as follows (while the 'Launch Apps / Files' pulldown is visible):

1. Show Alfred (using your chosen hotkey; mine is Cmd-Space) and type the name of the app you want to launch
  2. Drag that App from Alfred into the list area.

Simple!  :) If you want to toggle the app's visibility, you can enable the checkbox in the lower right corner.

Hope this helps  :)

Thanks, Tyler! At first nothing happened, but then I realized that I had to move the 'line' that goes from 'Hotkey' to the App itself, and it worked like a charm :) Now, the workflow name remained as 'Launch file group from hotkey'  :D   How can I change that? I've no idea how to do it.

Thanks, Tyler! At first nothing happened, but then I realized that I had to move the 'line' that goes from 'Hotkey' to the App itself, and it worked like a charm :) Now, the workflow name remained as 'Launch file group from hotkey'  :D   How can I change that? I've no idea how to do it.

The workflow's entry in the left sidebar will let you do this. Double click on the entry you want to edit, and a pull down menu will let you make changes.

Cheers ;)

You can also launch System Preferences and go to Keyboard on the Keyboard tab. Then check the 'Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' to have them output F1, etc. by default. But, then you need to hold the 'fn' key when you want the system function, e.g., increase volume, brighten screen, etc.

Since I work in a Java IDE 90% of the day, I use function keys _way_ more then system function keys, so it's a no-brainer switch for me. Your mileage may vary. 

Thanks! I just wish I could have a hybrid solution that lets me keep the function keys with their special features but also be able to map events to Command F1, etc without using the 'fn' key.

If I check the box to use F1, etc. as standard function keys in the Keyboard System Preferences, then I can go into Alfred and set Command F1 as a Hotkey. But as soon as I go back into System Preferences and uncheck that box, my Command F1 hotkey no longer works. Too bad - I was hoping it might be a loophole.

You can do something like this but it would involve adding an app like Keyboard Maestro.  This is an amazing macro app and I use it to turn various hotkeys both in Alfred and everywhere else on and off depending what app is currently running.  Thus I use ctrl-a to do a different but very common task in my accounting program, checkbook program, mail, etc.

I'm not sure alfred's workflows can be app specific

• Vero locked this topic