Launching new Terminal window does not work with custom shell

In Terminal.app Preferences, I have the "Shells open with" property set to the custom "/opt/local/bin/bash" (rather than default login shell).

However, if I then enter something like > echo foo in Alfred, this opens a new Terminal window but does not execute the command as it should.

Alfred version: v2.8 (414)

Mac OS X version: 10.10.5

In Terminal.app Preferences, I have the "Shells open with" property set to the custom "/opt/local/bin/bash" (rather than default login shell).

However, if I then enter something like > echo foo in Alfred, this opens a new Terminal window but does not execute the command as it should.

Alfred version: v2.8 (414)

Mac OS X version: 10.10.5

Alfred uses some simple AppleScript to launch terminal commands similar to:

on alfred_script(q)
	tell application "Terminal"
		activate
		do script q
	end tell
end alfred_script

If this isn't running your default profile, you may need to customise this to tell Terminal which profile you'd like to use.

There are quite a few articles on Google discussing this, but this one looks pretty relevant:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/62219/how-does-one-change-terminal-app-profile-for-all-open-tabs-using-a-keyboard-shor

Hope this helps! :)

[moving to help]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your reply. That makes sense to me...

As it happens, I just found out what was causing the problem: I have a MacPorts version of bash installed, and its path is not a symlink... yet for some reason Terminal has a problem if you specify a custom shell and the path to it is not a symlink. It's not just Alfred it has problems with, but other utilities too. Anyway, the fix was easy enough, and is working well now. :)