Open Folder in new Tab or Current Tab

I just recently upgraded to 10.11 and XtraFinder has not been ported unless you use a security hack which I prefer not to do.  However I am rather dependent on Alfred revealing all new folders and files in the current window in a new tab.  This was the behavior if you used XtraFinder.  However without XtraFinder Finder opens up a new window from Alfred.  This means you are cluttered with dozens of Finder windows which is highly undesirable when trying to navigate and move files.  Any ideas are welcome.  

Edited by mikedvzo

I just recently upgraded to 10.11 and XtraFinder has not been ported unless you use a security hack which I prefer not to do.  However I am rather dependent on Alfred revealing all new folders and files in the current window in a new tab.  This was the behavior if you used XtraFinder.  However without XtraFinder Finder opens up a new window from Alfred.  This means you are cluttered with dozens of Finder windows which is highly undesirable when trying to navigate and move files.  Any ideas are welcome.  

I'm currently on a Mac on 10.10 and don't have access to El Capitan right away, but take a look at the Finder preferences; In 10.10, you can check a box to open folders in tabs instead of new windows. This is most likely also available in 10.11. :)

I am having the same issue.  Vero makes a good suggestion but unfortunately it does not fix the problem.  

How would one make a workflow that opens a file in a new Finder window when Finder is not currently open - but opens a file in a new Finder TAB when a Finder window is already open?

Thank you!!

It's fairly simple to do the Finder part in AppleScript by simulating a ⌘+T keypress:

set thePath to "/Users/me/Desktop"

tell application "System Events"
	tell application process "Finder" to set frontmost to true
	keystroke "t" using command down
end tell
tell application "Finder" to set target of front window to (POSIX file thePath) as alias

This opens the specified path in a new window if none exists, and a new tab if there is one. Edited by deanishe
  • 1 month later...

It's fairly simple to do the Finder part in AppleScript by simulating a ⌘+T keypress:

set thePath to "/Users/me/Desktop"

tell application "System Events"
	tell application process "Finder" to set frontmost to true
	keystroke "t" using command down
end tell
tell application "Finder" to set target of front window to (POSIX file thePath) as alias

This opens the specified path in a new window if none exists, and a new tab if there is one.

Where do you write this to work in Alfred???