Fails on El Capitan: Open Folder via Apple Script Workflow

wbv

Opening a Folder via an Apple Script workflow fails on OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Facts

- fails for - working - workflows unchanged from Yosemite

- fails for most but not all workflows

- workflows are activated by shortcut

- workflows are Apple Scripts shown below

- for all below workflows the destination folders *do* exist and are standard, non-hidden, non-system folders that were successfully opened by Alfred on Yosemite.

Example of FAILING workflow

on alfred_script(q)

tell application "Finder" to activate
tell application "Finder" to open ("/Users/<redacted>/Documents/MyDocs/People" as POSIX file)
end alfred_script

Example of SUCCESSFUL workflow [same system, same user, etc]

on alfred_script(q)

tell application "Finder" to activate
tell application "Finder" to open ("/Users/<redacted>/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData" as POSIX file)
end alfred_script
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the slow reply on this, it's taken me a while to get an El Capitan environment ready to try and reproduce.

1. What happens when you try using that AppleScript in Apple's AppleScript editor? Does it still fail?

2. Are you seeing any errors in Console.app, or Alfred's workflow debugger when it fails?

3. Could it be related to the hotkey being used?

4. Have you considered another method for opening the folder, such as the open command in bash?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

This appears to be unrelated to Alfred. It happens in Finder itself, eg also from Xcode, doing "Show in Finder" fails.

I just "suffer" the most via Alfred, because I use it so often... multiple times per hour ;-)

Thanks for the bash suggestion, much easier than AppleScript for this purpose (and fails in the exact same way)

W

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

This appears to be unrelated to Alfred. It happens in Finder itself, eg also from Xcode, doing "Show in Finder" fails.

I just "suffer" the most via Alfred, because I use it so often... multiple times per hour ;-)

Thanks for the bash suggestion, much easier than AppleScript for this purpose (and fails in the exact same way)

W

I'm going to move this to the discussion and help section to get more eyes on it, there may be somebody who can help point you in the right direction for the actual issue in Finder!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

[sOLVED]

Hi anyone stumbling upon this post.

As already indicated, this issue was unrelated to Alfred, just annoying because of the many workflows I use that boil to some "Open in Finder" via Alfred.

The issue was "solved" by pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE by deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.

Sad but true.

W