"iTunes is running in safe mode" -- Alfred's Mini Player...

Hi all,

I just started trying Alfred's iTunes Mini Player -- and (for the first time) got an odd dialog from iTunes:

"iTunes is running in safe mode -- visual plug-ins you have installed have been temporarily disabled"

Not quite sure what to make of that? (fwiw, I haven't installed any visual plug-ins)

It seems to have followed Command-R to rebuild Alfred's iTunes index.

I use command-space to pull up Alfred, and option-command-i to call up Alfred's iTunes browser.

However, I've only seen the safe mode dialog after I pressed command-r with Alfred's iTunes browser open -- I've rebuilt the index twice that way, and each time I got the dialog from iTunes after -- and other times I have used Alfred's iTunes browser (by calling option-command-i), without rebuilding the index, I haven't received the dialog form iTunes...

Given that, do you still think that's the problem?

Given that, do you still think that's the problem?

I do think it's the issue... you shouldn't need to show Alfred before using the iTunes mini player hotkey. I can in fact reproduce your issue if I use cmd+option+i as a hotkey. You may just be seeing this dialog deferred as it's behind Alfred's mini player.

Thanks -- do you happen to know if there's a way to get iTunes to stop listening for cmd+option+i, perhaps reassign it to some other hotkey?

(long story, but using cmd+option+i in Alfred is ideal for how I have things set up with my other Alfred hotkeys)

The only thing you can do is make sure iTunes is running first and just window closed. You'll only get this when iTunes is initially launched... maybe make iTunes launch and hide at login?

But...

If iTunes is not running -- and if I use command-option-i to open Alfred's Mini Player -- and then choose to play a random album -- and then iTunes launches and plays the selected album -- in this case, I don't get the "safe mode" dialog -- I only seem to get it if I rebuild the index.

Did you get the dialog simply from launching iTunes via the command-option-i hotkey? Or only when you rebuilt the index?

(ps: it would be nice if Alfred could rebuild the index automatically -- either whenever it notices a change, or perhaps on a timed schedule.)

btw, I think Alfred is terrific -- I finally started using it when I discovered a few reproducible bugs in Spotlight under El Capitan -- I reported them to Apple, and the rep reproduced them too, and then he was told that the engineers didn't care -- I thought that was crazy! And now I'm hooked on Alfred.

But...

Did you get the dialog simply from launching iTunes via the command-option-i hotkey? Or only when you rebuilt the index?

When the mini player is shown in Alfred, if iTunes isn't running, it will launch iTunes in the background... so if I launch the mini player with cmd+opt+i then I see the safe mode, but I only see it once the mini player is hidden as the dialog is behind the mini player.

When you reindex, Alfred doesn't have any interaction with iTunes, he uses the underlying xml... so this won't cause the safe mode issue.

Great to hear you like Alfred :)

That's not what seems to happen here...

If I quit iTunes, press cmd+opt+i, and select an album, I don't seem to be in safe mode.

Is there a sequence of steps I could follow to reproduce? (So far, I've only ever seen it after rebuilding the index.)

Try holding cmd+opt after pressing i... once the iTunes mini player is showing, iTunes is launched but hidden... try clicking the iTunes icon if it's in the dock. This will bring it to the foreground.