Finder window size when invoking a folder through Alfred

Hi there,

I just set up Alfred on my new iMac, syncing settings from my MacBook Pro install.

I can open new Finder windows with my preferred view options (see here) when invoking it from the Finder (e.g. new window with ⌘N). The window size, list ordering (in my case, reverse chronological) etc. is how I want it to be.

However when I open a folder through Alfred (which I do countless times a day), it will always revert to a small Finder window size and alphabetical ordering. I don't recall having the same issue on my other machine.

Does anyone know what could be the issue here?

It might be that you haven't yet "taught" Finder how you like your new windows.

You have to open a new Finder window, make it look just the way you want (size, view, sorting etc.) and then close it again without using the window at all (opening files/folders, navigating between folders etc.).

After that, all new windows should look that way regardless of how they're opened.

• 2 weeks later...

It might be that you haven't yet "taught" Finder how you like your new windows.

You have to open a new Finder window, make it look just the way you want (size, view, sorting etc.) and then close it again without using the window at all (opening files/folders, navigating between folders etc.).

After that, all new windows should look that way regardless of how they're opened.

No, I did teach Finder to remember my preferred view settings. So whenever I create a new Finder window, I have no issues. It's only when I invoke a folder from Alfred that it falls back to a small window size, not aligned with my preferences.

No, I did teach Finder to remember my preferred view settings. So whenever I create a new Finder window, I have no issues. It's only when I invoke a folder from Alfred that it falls back to a small window size, not aligned with my preferences.

Alfred has little control over where Finder decides to put the window... but I've found that if there are no Finder windows open and you use Alfred to show a Finder window, and position / size that window, the next time Finder shows the window, it will be in that position.

Cheers,

andrew

• 1 month later...

Like Andrew said in the post before yours: Alfred has no influence over Finder's windows. It just asks Finder to open a specific path, and the rest is up to Finder.

Try following Andrew's and my suggestions above to "train" Finder. There really is nothing Alfred can reasonably do.

• 5 years later...