jcordoba

Open Contacts App from Alfred

Is there a way of setting up Alfred so that when I do a search for a contact using Alfred, that I can actually open the contact in the Contacts app? It currently give me the option to open it in Alfred, but I'd like the option to open the contact in the actual Contacts app.  

Thank you in advance!

-Jim

Is there a way of setting up Alfred so that when I do a search for a contact using Alfred, that I can actually open the contact in the Contacts app? It currently give me the option to open it in Alfred, but I'd like the option to open the contact in the actual Contacts app.  

Thank you in advance!

-Jim

Hi Jim,

If you never want to open the contacts in Alfred, go to Alfred's Preferences, under Features > Contacts, just uncheck the box that says "Open Contacts in Alfred" and the contact will automatically open in the Contacts app itself.

If alternatively, you just want to sometimes open in Contacts and sometimes in Alfred, leave the box above ticked. Instead of pressing the return key when you find your contact, do Cmd + O to open it in Contacts app :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Jim,

If you never want to open the contacts in Alfred, go to Alfred's Preferences, under Features > Contacts, just uncheck the box that says "Open Contacts in Alfred" and the contact will automatically open in the Contacts app itself.

If alternatively, you just want to sometimes open in Contacts and sometimes in Alfred, leave the box above ticked. Instead of pressing the return key when you find your contact, do Cmd + O to open it in Contacts app :)

Cheers,

Vero

Thank you for the workaround! In the future, it would be great to see an on-screen option for this under Results, just so it's a little more straight forward than key combination. I think Alfred's contacts view is great, but would appreciate seeing the on-screen choice to open it up in the Contacts app. 

Thank you for the workaround! In the future, it would be great to see an on-screen option for this under Results, just so it's a little more straight forward than key combination. I think Alfred's contacts view is great, but would appreciate seeing the on-screen choice to open it up in the Contacts app. 

As with most of Alfred's features, you can find all the details in the preferences; Under Features > Contacts, it says "If you enable this feature, you can still open contacts in the OS X Contacts app using cmd + o"

We tend to leave non-essential information to the preferences rather than the app, as a conscious choice to keep things uncluttered since this is information you only need to see once. As such, when you're discovering a new feature, it's worth taking a look at its preferences tab to see how you can use it.

If you need more details, click on the question mark in that preferences pane to launch the relevant page on our help site. :)

Cheers,

Vero

IMO, it would be more intuitive if the "Open contact in Alfred/Contacts.app" feature worked like normal workflow results, i.e. ENTER for the default action and CMD+ENTER for the alternate.

It's a standard Alfred idiom to use CMD/CTRL/OPT/SHIFT+ENTER to perform alternate actions, while CMD+O is only used with contacts (AFAIK), so people are more likely to try CMD+ENTER, and to remember it.

Also, the subtitle should then change to "Open contact in Contacts.app" or "Open contact in Alfred" when CMD is held down (just as it changes to "Search for 'x' in Spotlight" when you hold down OPT when a contact is selected).

Edited by deanishe

Agree with deanishe and was thinking the same: cmd-return to open in Contacts. I didn't know of cmd-O until I found this thread. As the modifiers control and option offer other options, I think cmd is a good choice for perhaps the most often wanted other action.