Please use multipeer connectivity for Remote

Roddi

Hi,

I'm working in a "corporate environment" for my day job. The network admins in our company take their jobs very seriously and seem to dislike Bonjour a lot. This means getting both the phone and the Mac onto the same network is a pain and Bonjour is out of the question. 

I would like to kindly ask you to use the multipeer connectivity framework for the remote, which works fine in my environment.

See: 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2014-709/

Hi,

I'm working in a "corporate environment" for my day job. The network admins in our company take their jobs very seriously and seem to dislike Bonjour a lot. This means getting both the phone and the Mac onto the same network is a pain and Bonjour is out of the question. 

I would like to kindly ask you to use the multipeer connectivity framework for the remote, which works fine in my environment.

Before settling on Bonjour / Direct Connection, I spent a good few weeks investigating and playing with multipeer connectivity. I came to a few conclusions:

- It was much more unreliable than Bonjour. This the same unreliability seen with AirDrop where it sometimes works faultlessly and sometimes doesn't work at all with the same network configuration.

- When it did work, it sometimes fell back onto Bluetooth, which has very low bandwidth vs WiFi. One example of this is the initial setup where Alfred sends icons to remote took more than 30 seconds vs 1 second on WiFi.

While this is something I will look into again at some point in the future, for now, Alfred Remote will continue to use Bonjour / Direct IP connection... Have you tried using the direct connection on your work network?

Cheers,

Andrew

[moving to closed]