xilopaint

Word to PDF Converter

Hello guys!

Since Convert word document to PDF by vdesabou does not work with Microsoft Word 2016, I have created this workflow (my very first one) to address this need. Hope it can be handy.

Description

• Convert Word documents to PDF by using a keyword or a file action.

Usage
  • Enter the keyword wpdf or a hotkey to convert an active Word document to PDF.
  • Select one or more Word documents in Finder and convert them to PDF by entering the keyword wpdf combined with the ctrl modifier key.
  • Select one or more Word documents in Alfred and enter the file action Convert to PDF document to save them in PDF format.
  • Select one or more files in Finder and enter a hotkey to save them in PDF format.

Download from Packal

Edited by xilopaint

Thanks, this workflow was what was stopping me upgrading my MS Office version.  Looking forwarding trying it at the weekend :)

Glad to hear it!

Could you please test the workflow with your current Office version? I am curious to know if it can work with Word 2011.

Furthermore, tell me any suggestion you would like to see implemented.

Edited by xilopaint

I appreciate your efforts.  I just tested your new workflow with Word for Mac 2011 on OSX 10.11.2 (El Capitan) and sadly it doesn't appear to work with that version.

On choosing my defined HotKey combination for the workflow (ALT CMD T) with a Word document highlighted in Finder I get the Alfred options bar appear with the description of the workflow and a space for me to type something above.  

word2016-to-pdf-workflow.png

On pressing ENTER I get the following error:

"Error -1700 : Can’t make {missing value, ":", missing value} into type alias."

I get the same error message if I type the filename (incl path) in alfred at this point.

Shame really as I'd like to try a newer version on Office, but I still have to access Word for Mac 2011 sometimes.

Perhaps someone could confirm that it's working with with Office 2016?

Thanks,

Mark.

Edited by MacOCD

Either the keyword or the hotkey only work with an active Word Document (the document has to be open).

If you want to convert an inactive document you have to use the file action by searching the file on Alfred, pressing right arrow key and selecting "Convert to PDF Document".

Edited by xilopaint

This works great! I have been waiting for this for quite sometime now so THANK YOU for creating this updated workflow! :)

I have one question. If I select an inactive document and invoke the file action menu, the "Convert to PDF document" shows up.

However, if I select multiple inactive documents for a batch conversion, "Convert to PDF" does not show. It used to show up in the old workflow. Is it possible for the workflow to allow this? 

Again thank you!!!

This works great! I have been waiting for this for quite sometime now so THANK YOU for creating this updated workflow! :)

I have one question. If I select an inactive document and invoke the file action menu, the "Convert to PDF document" shows up.

However, if I select multiple inactive documents for a batch conversion, "Convert to PDF" does not show. It used to show up in the old workflow. Is it possible for the workflow to allow this? 

Again thank you!!!

Do you mean select multiple documents in Finder or another manner?

Again thank you!!!

Hey, I think I can address your request. Give me some time.

Again thank you!!!

The version 1.1 of the workflow adds the ability to convert documents selected in Finder so that you can do a batch conversion. Could you tell me whether it works for you?

Thanks, just to let you know that the conversion on Finder selected files also works in Office 2011 on 10.11.2 (El-Capitan)

Thanks,

Mark.

Thanks, just to let you know that the conversion on Finder selected files also works in Office 2011 on 10.11.2 (El-Capitan)

Thanks,

Mark.

Thank you for the feedback. What about the conversion for active documents and the file action?

The version 1.1 of the workflow adds the ability to convert documents selected in Finder so that you can do a batch conversion. Could you tell me whether it works for you?

Hi! Thank you for addressing this so quickly. I downloaded version 1.1, and it is still not letting me select multiple files in the Finder and convert them. 

When I select one file and action it with Alfred, you can see that Convert to PDF option at the bottom (screenshot - http://imgur.com/3NMksKb.png)

When I select multiple files however, the Convert to PDF option is still not there (screenshot - http://imgur.com/uUBYRuM.png)

Hi! Thank you for addressing this so quickly. I downloaded version 1.1, and it is still not letting me select multiple files in the Finder and convert them. 

When I select one file and action it with Alfred, you can see that Convert to PDF option at the bottom (screenshot - http://imgur.com/3NMksKb.png)

When I select multiple files however, the Convert to PDF option is still not there (screenshot - http://imgur.com/uUBYRuM.png)

At the moment you can't use the file action to convert selected files. For this purpose you can use the keyword wpdf combined with the ctrl key modifier or just set a hotkey.

I will work to implement the file action for multiple files in near future.

Edited by xilopaint

Version 1.2 is out and adds the ability to use the file action to do batch conversions. You still can set a hotkey and skip the file action step.

Edited by xilopaint

Thanks,

Mark.

Could you tell me if 1.2 is fully operational with Word 2011?

Could you tell me if 1.2 is fully operational with Word 2011?

Hi! I just got a chance to check it out. It works great! Thank you so much for this workflow and the quick adjustments!!!

This workflow worked for me just a couple of months ago, but now I can't get it to work on some documents.

I haven't updated Word or OS X.

Error -1708 : Microsoft Word got an error: active document doesn’t understand the “save as” message.

My Word version is 15.14 and I am (and was) using the latest version of this workflow (1.2).

I did notice that I have to grant Word "additional permissions" to open the file (whereby giving Word access to the folder), so maybe that's offsetting the script? But I think I had to do this the last time I used the workflow too.

Hoping for some help because the Workflow worked excellent for me previously, and has spared me all the headaches of converting with LaTeX/Pandoc etc which is really difficult without altering the document layout.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:16 PM, winterflags said:

This workflow worked for me just a couple of months ago, but now I can't get it to work on some documents.

I haven't updated Word or OS X.

Error -1708 : Microsoft Word got an error: active document doesn’t understand the “save as” message.

My Word version is 15.14 and I am (and was) using the latest version of this workflow (1.2).

I did notice that I have to grant Word "additional permissions" to open the file (whereby giving Word access to the folder), so maybe that's offsetting the script? But I think I had to do this the last time I used the workflow too.

Hoping for some help because the Workflow worked excellent for me previously, and has spared me all the headaches of converting with LaTeX/Pandoc etc which is really difficult without altering the document layout.

I suppose you used the file action, so try to use the keyword wpdf just one time. After that the file action should back to work.

On 10/15/2016 at 6:26 AM, PebaVermelho said:

I suppose you used the file action, so try to use the keyword wpdf just one time. After that the file action should back to work.

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, I was selecting files in Finder, writing the keyword wpdf into Alfred and then pressing Ctrl to pass them to the workflow.

I tried opening a Word document as you suggested, and type simply wpdf, but I'm getting the same -1708 error.

What happens is:

1) With a .doc open in Word, I use the keyword wpdf,or select the files in Finder and type the keyword in Alfred and open the files with Ctrl.

2) Word asks me to Grant File Access. I press Select and then Grant Access to the folder with the enclosed files.

3) I get the error message: Error -1708 : Microsoft Word got an error: active document doesn’t understand the “save as” message.

2 hours ago, winterflags said:

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, I was selecting files in Finder, writing the keyword wpdf into Alfred and then pressing Ctrl to pass them to the workflow.

I tried opening a Word document as you suggested, and type simply wpdf, but I'm getting the same -1708 error.

What happens is:

1) With a .doc open in Word, I use the keyword wpdf,or select the files in Finder and type the keyword in Alfred and open the files with Ctrl.

2) Word asks me to Grant File Access. I press Select and then Grant Access to the folder with the enclosed files.

3) I get the error message: Error -1708 : Microsoft Word got an error: active document doesn’t understand the “save as” message.

I was having the same problem with the file action, so I tried the keyword with an active document and Word displayed a dialog box (not the "Grant File Access" one). I clicked OK on this dialog and both keyword and file action started to work well. Sorry but I can't remember what that dialog box was about.

Hi any chance to convert a docx file (created with Microsoft Word for Mac 2011) in a PDF 1.4 and NOT 1.4 as actually does the converter ? 

On 6/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, face said:

Hi any chance to convert a docx file (created with Microsoft Word for Mac 2011) in a PDF 1.4 and NOT 1.4 as actually does the converter ? 

I'm currently using the latest version of Office with no access to Word 2011, so no chance to implement the feature. Sorry.