Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

Hey Carlos!

I decided to be a little less helpless and searched in this thread and found my answer. the answer is to use "/n" to separate title and lines! HUZZAH!

This workflow is so awesome but really deep. Are there any youtube videos showing this workflow in action etc?

Hey Carlos!

I decided to be a little less helpless and searched in this thread and found my answer. the answer is to use "/n" to separate title and lines! HUZZAH!

This workflow is so awesome but really deep. Are there any youtube videos showing this workflow in action etc?

I couldn’t answer sooner but I’m glad you have found the solution.

Unfortunately there is no video but that’s a good idea.

Thank you for your feedback!

Hi guys,

Here's a scenario: I have a note titled "jot" in Evernote. I'd like a quick way to append quick text to it. Like, I think of something, I bring up alfred, type "jn" (jot note), or something like that, followed by the text, and it gets appended to my note. 

Is there a way to set that up?

Right now I'm doing the following:

1. Launch Alfred

2. Type ent jot

3. Down Arrow to the note

4. Press and hold Cmd

5. Hit Enter

6. Down Arrow to "Type a text to append"

7. Type my text

8. Hit enter

If I could remove any steps from that list, that'd be freakin' awesome!  :)

Thanks in Advance,

Claudio

Hi guys,

Here's a scenario: I have a note titled "jot" in Evernote. I'd like a quick way to append quick text to it. Like, I think of something, I bring up alfred, type "jn" (jot note), or something like that, followed by the text, and it gets appended to my note. 

1. Launch Alfred

2. Type ent jot

4. Press and hold Cmd

5. Hit Enter

7. Type my text

8. Hit enter

If I could remove any steps from that list, that'd be freakin' awesome!   :)

Thanks in Advance,

Claudio

I’ll surely consider such feature. Thank you for your feedback.

Anyway, you can use the type a note hotkey and then:

1. hit the hotkey

2. type the text

3. hold Cmd key

4. select the note to append

5. hit enter

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for this amazing workflow! I wonder though if it is possible to add new notes with your workflow using Evernote Helper which uses significantly less RAM without launching the main app?

What do you think, is it even possible?

Thank you in advance,

--

Vlad

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for this amazing workflow! I wonder though if it is possible to add new notes with your workflow using Evernote Helper which uses significantly less RAM without launching the main app?

What do you think, is it even possible?

Thank you in advance,

--

Vlad

Evernote has only one AppleScript dictionary and it seems it is only linked to the app itself.

Hi Carlos, I’d like to change the format of the timestamp in the append note function, but I know that editing en_append.scpt will mess up the workflow entirely. How can I make this happen? For what it’s worth, I don’t want the timestamp to put the entire date, just the time in HH:MM format.

Hi Carlos, I’d like to change the format of the timestamp in the append note function, but I know that editing en_append.scpt will mess up the workflow entirely. How can I make this happen? For what it’s worth, I don’t want the timestamp to put the entire date, just the time in HH:MM format.

I'm on vacation. ASAP I'll see what I can do about it.

Hi guys,

1. Launch Alfred

2. Type ent jot

4. Press and hold Cmd

5. Hit Enter

7. Type my text

8. Hit enter

If I could remove any steps from that list, that'd be freakin' awesome!   :)

Thanks in Advance,

Claudio

Hey there, Carlos,

This is exactly what I'm trying to do with the workflow, but nothing actually gets appended to the existing note. I go through all the steps Claudio lists, but when I hit Enter, nothing gets added to the existing note. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Daniel 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm quite new to Alfred's Powerpack and have been experiencing a problem with this workflow.

Sometimes, when I try to create a new note with the keyword 'enn', Alfred doesn't recognize it as a keyword, and takes me to Google Search instead. It's strange because if I type 'en' the first suggestion on the list is 'enn' for a new note. If I press enter or complete the keyword with the last 'n', it completely ignores the keyword and all the Evernote suggestions are gone.

This only happens sometimes, after rebooting. I then open Evernote and even though I'm still not able to use the new note workflow, a few minutes later it starts working. Is there any step I should perform after reboot so I can use the 'enn' keyword? I'm assuming Evernote must be running (which doesn't solve the problem immediately), but 'ens', f.e, launches the app, so I guess that shouldn't be a problem for 'enn'.  Every other action works fine. 

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I've searched through the thread and was able to get it running with 8.94. Maybe it should be available in the first post, to avoid posts like mine.

Edited by bex91

About Evernote 5.6

The new version of Evernote app changes how notes are saved and, unfortunately, removes any reference to the note file/folder itself, meaning the workflow will not be able to show a note preview (quick look).

I’ll keep trying to find a way but so far it does not seem possible. :(

The same goes for the enu command and the action for opening the note url by pressing function key? Both features no longer work for me.

Hey there, Carlos,

This is exactly what I'm trying to do with the workflow, but nothing actually gets appended to the existing note. I go through all the steps Claudio lists, but when I hit Enter, nothing gets added to the existing note. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Daniel 

I’m on vacation.

After Evernote app 5.6 I’m kind of holding for a fix (AppleScript find notes command fix at least) to update the workflow.

I had to downgrade my Evernote app in order to properly use it. It’s sad.

Hello. I'm quite new to Alfred's Powerpack and have been experiencing a problem with this workflow.

Sometimes, when I try to create a new note with the keyword 'enn', Alfred doesn't recognize it as a keyword, and takes me to Google Search instead. It's strange because if I type 'en' the first suggestion on the list is 'enn' for a new note. If I press enter or complete the keyword with the last 'n', it completely ignores the keyword and all the Evernote suggestions are gone.

This only happens sometimes, after rebooting. I then open Evernote and even though I'm still not able to use the new note workflow, a few minutes later it starts working. Is there any step I should perform after reboot so I can use the 'enn' keyword? I'm assuming Evernote must be running (which doesn't solve the problem immediately), but 'ens', f.e, launches the app, so I guess that shouldn't be a problem for 'enn'.  Every other action works fine. 

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I've searched through the thread and was able to get it running with 8.94. Maybe it should be available in the first post, to avoid posts like mine.

Evernote app 5.6+ was a very sad update for the workflow. It froze the workflow development and the fix seems far away.

I’m feeling that I lost my time doing the workflow knowing the Evernote app developer, even after some months, didn’t fix what was a very basic AppleScript command.

The same goes for the enu command and the action for opening the note url by pressing function key? Both features no longer work for me.

After Evernote app 5.6 I’m kind of holding for a fix (AppleScript find notes command fix at least) to update the workflow.

I had to downgrade my Evernote app in order to properly use it. It’s sad.

If you can and you need the command please consider downgrade your Evernote app.

I have created an applescript that creates a backup of all of your Evernote notes.  Maybe it is something your library might be interested in using.  It is based on the article Going Paperless: How and Why I've Automated Backups of My Evernote Data by Jamie Todd Rubin.  If you just run the script it backs up your desktop.  It takes an optional parameter of the location you would like to save the file.

on alfred_script(q)

if q starts with "~" then
		set userHome to POSIX path of (path to home folder) as string
		set q to userHome & (characters 3 thru -1 of q)
	end if
	if q ends with "/" then
		set str_total to count of characters of q
		set q to characters 1 thru (str_total - 1) of q
		set q to q as text
	end if

set epoch to (do shell script "date +%s") as string
	set default_location to (path to desktop folder) & epoch & "_Export.enex" as string

if q is not equal to "" then
		set mac_path to POSIX file q as string
		tell application "Finder"
			if (exists mac_path) then
				set back_location to q & "/" & epoch & "_Export.enex"
			else
				set back_location to default_location
			end if
		end tell
	else
		set back_location to default_location
	end if

with timeout of (30 * 60) seconds
		tell application "Evernote"
			-- Set date to 1990 so it finds all notes
			set matches to find notes "created:19900101"
			-- export to file set above
			export matches to back_location
		end tell
	end timeout

set p to POSIX path of back_location
	do shell script "/usr/bin/gzip " & quoted form of p
	set exit_message to "Evernote has been backed up to " & back_location
	return exit_message
end alfred_script
Edited by BigHandsome

I have created an applescript that creates a backup of all of your Evernote notes.  Maybe it is something your library might be interested in using.  It is based on the article Going Paperless: How and Why I've Automated Backups of My Evernote Data by Jamie Todd Rubin.  If you just run the script it backs up your desktop.  It takes an optional parameter of the location you would like to save the file.

Thank you. The main workflow problem is that find notes command returns notes from all notebooks even if a specific notebook is set. 

Thank you. The main workflow problem is that find notes command returns notes from all notebooks even if a specific notebook is set. 

In this case that is okay because I want to back up all of the notes. The conditional is used so that it ensure that all the notes were fetched.  That is why it uses date created with such a date in the extreme past.

The backup script is more of an ax than a scalpel.  I use it to just backup everything.

Carlos,

Is an applescript-based solution required? Without reviewing your code, I'm guessing Applescript is necessary to send commands to the Evernote app to open notes and such.

I'm asking because there is an Evernote plugin for Sublime Text 3 that I use which finds notes from a specific notebook without any problems:

https://github.com/bordaigorl/sublime-evernote

The plugin is written in Python, and I believe it makes calls to the Evernote API instead of communicating directly with the desktop application. So, perhaps this comment isn't of any use at all to you, but I wanted to share it in case it would help. 

Carlos,

Is an applescript-based solution required? Without reviewing your code, I'm guessing Applescript is necessary to send commands to the Evernote app to open notes and such.

I'm asking because there is an Evernote plugin for Sublime Text 3 that I use which finds notes from a specific notebook without any problems:

https://github.com/bordaigorl/sublime-evernote

The plugin is written in Python, and I believe it makes calls to the Evernote API instead of communicating directly with the desktop application. So, perhaps this comment isn't of any use at all to you, but I wanted to share it in case it would help. 

Thank you.

I am trying to get the enn feature to work but am not having any luck:

Evernote: 6.05

Plugin: 8.94

Is the plugin broken?

Make sure to download Evernote app from evernote.com

Unfortunately I’m still using Evernote 5.5+ due the bugs of Evernote 6 that made my workflow almost useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

Make sure to download Evernote app from evernote.com

Unfortunately I’m still using Evernote 5.5+ due the bugs of Evernote 6 that made my workflow almost useless.

Hola Carlos, Quick question, for those who just discovered Alfred and Already have the Evernote MAS Version for Mac, is there any fix we can apply? Or do we need to downgrade to 5.5?

Thank you

Evernote app from Evernote.com is an old requirement due the MAS app limitations.

Evernote 5.6 or greater introduced some bugs that make the workflow almost useless. I've already reported them last year but they didn't reply.

So the only solution right now is to downgrade. That's what I had to do.

Hola Carlos, Quick question, for those who just discovered Alfred and Already have the Evernote MAS Version for Mac, is there any fix we can apply? Or do we need to downgrade to 5.5?

Thank you