Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

Hello,

Thanks for such a great idea! I'm trying to do two seemingly simple things but haven't been able to yet:

1. Create a note with custom text and a custom title in a specific notebook

2. Create a note with no text and a custom title in a specific notebook

However I haven't been able to achieve these seemingly simple tasks. I've attached the raw text that I used to run my Alfred commands, as well as some screen shots to show what happened (please see attached images). Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Running:

OSX 10.11.4

Evernote Version 6.6.1 (453372 Direct)

Alfred 2.8.3

Evernote Workflow 8.992

Raw Text:

Goal1: Create a note with custom text and title in a specific notebook from the alfred.

attempt1: enn @Alfred Demo custom text1 :Custom title1

attemp2: enn custom text2 @Alfred Demo :Custom title2

attempt3: typenote custom text3 @Alfred Demo :Custom title3

Goal2: Create an empty note to open in Evernote in a specific notebook with a custom title

attemp1: enn @Alfred Demo :Custom title1 [enter]

attempt2: enn @Alfred Demo :Custom title2 [ctrl + enter]

attempt3: typenote @Alfred Demo :Custom title3 [enter]

Edited by mbigras

Hi Carlos,

Me too. When I use @notebook it creates the note OK, but creates the note body from the clipboard

Edit: I am using 8.992

Thanks

Nick 

HI Carlos,

I'm having problems creating notes via this workflow. Any idea what i did wrong?

Works - enn :type your note

Problem - enn @My Notebook :type your note.

Edited by nickwild

Hey Carlos-Sz, I just wanted to let you know about something else that has been happening. When you run ens when Evernote is not already running Evernote will automatically boot up (which is really cool) but what ends up happening is Alfred quits before you have a chance to type anything and then the Evernote client will pop up so then you need to run ens again. I think it would be great if Evernote booted up after the Alfred command gets run so you don't have to do it twice and experience the Evernote client jumping into focus. I made a video of this use case that shows what I'm talking about a little more clearly I think.

Video showing ens causing Evernote to boot up and take focus

Man, I'm not sure how to link to my video without you having to download it. So I understand if you don't want to download and watch it but the basic use case goes like

if evernote isn't running and you run ens Alfred will quit before you have a chance to type anything else and then the Evernote client homepage will pop up. You then have to run ens again to be able to search for your note.

I think it would be better if you could run ens when Evernote isn't running and finish typing your query and then after hitting enter have Alfred quit and Evernote boot up with the requested query loaded, if that's possible. 

One thing that I'm thinking is maybe you need evernote to be running in order to be able to display the notes in the dropdown menu (also totally cool). If this is the case do you think it would be possible to: run ens when Evernote isn't running, Alfred does not quit, Evernote boots up in the back ground, and then starts sending it's information over to Alfred so the drop down menu can be populated?

Anyway, thanks for checking it out :) looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi, I love this workflow, but somehow am having trouble getting the append feature to work.

I downloaded both the latest Evernote from their own website as well as the workflow (8.991).

Here's how I tried to do it:

1) trigger Alfred, type in "ent ABC" (assuming ABC is the title of the note)

2) 3 results came back, I use down arrow to go to the correct one, and press cmd+enter

3) a new dialog pops up, the input field has an paperclip icon

4) I type "test" as the note to append, use arrow key to traverse to the option saying "type a text to append", then hit enter.

I check my note and nothing was added.

Please help me figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

hey folks, brand new Alfred user. I've been a longtime LaunchBar user and still really like that app but wanted to explore Alfred 3 and am intrigued by the Workflow functionality. I may just use both apps side by side. 

I'm an Evernote power user and was very interested in trying this workflow but I get the behavior listed above. I'm getting two issues I don't understand:

1. If I type the keyword 'ens', I get prompted to sync Evernote and the search option is not even presented.

2. If I just type 'en' and get to the appropriate search option from this workflow (which shows the 'ens' keyword, by the way), the only search options I'm able to execute are in google, wikipedia or amazon.

Is this a v2 to v3 issue, or am I doing something wrong?

I am having an issue with the workflow. Using Alfred 3, Evernote Version 6.6.1 (453372 Direct).

When type "ens", instead of coming up with "Search evernote", it shows me "evernote Sync". As if it skips that keyword....

So when i type "ens" and then press space to type my query, it shows me "Search Google for...".

Please help. Really need this workflow working.

Ok, I figured out how to fix it on my computer. Hopefully this will work for you guys. Now, first, I'm brand new to Alfred so I didn't have Alfred 2 on my computer. I installed Alfred 3 fresh, then bought the powerpack.

I found the folder that had the script files. Two of them had references to Alfred 2 instead of Alfred 3. I changed those, saved the files, and now the workflow is working for me.

Find the folder that has this workflow's script files. For me, that was in my user library/application support/alfred 3/alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows, then under that last folder there are folders with long text strings for names. I just searched for one of the script files to find the right one. Then in that script file you'll find two files that need modification: en_pref.scpt and q_workflow.scpt. Search for "Alfred" in those files and you should find two references in each to "Alfred 2". Change the '2' to '3' in each instance, save the file and you're done. At least that's what I did. 

I had the same issues as the last few posters, and now it's working perfectly.   hope this helps those of you who also have this issue.  Many thanks to FroZen_X who helped me troubleshoot this and ultimately figure it out. I'd still be stuck without his or her's generous assistance.

Ok, I figured out how to fix it on my computer. Hopefully this will work for you guys. Now, first, I'm brand new to Alfred so I didn't have Alfred 2 on my computer. I installed Alfred 3 fresh, then bought the powerpack.

I found the folder that had the script files. Two of them had references to Alfred 2 instead of Alfred 3. I changed those, saved the files, and now the workflow is working for me.

Find the folder that has this workflow's script files. For me, that was in my user library/application support/alfred 3/alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows, then under that last folder there are folders with long text strings for names. I just searched for one of the script files to find the right one. Then in that script file you'll find two files that need modification: en_pref.scpt and q_workflow.scpt. Search for "Alfred" in those files and you should find two references in each to "Alfred 2". Change the '2' to '3' in each instance, save the file and you're done. At least that's what I did. 

I had the same issues as the last few posters, and now it's working perfectly.   hope this helps those of you who also have this issue.  Many thanks to FroZen_X who helped me troubleshoot this and ultimately figure it out. I'd still be stuck without his or her's generous assistance.

You're welcome :) and I'm a he ;)

For those who are interested the post is here: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/8927-cant-seem-to-get-comics-workflow-to-work/page-2

In my last post i added the changed workflow, i hope that works also for others. Else change things like conejo23 said :)

Glad i could help :)

Edited by FroZen_X

I am having an issue with the workflow. Using Alfred 3, Evernote Version 6.6.1 (453372 Direct).

When type "ens", instead of coming up with "Search evernote", it shows me "evernote Sync". As if it skips that keyword....

So when i type "ens" and then press space to type my query, it shows me "Search Google for...".

Please help. Really need this workflow working.

Issue is resolved for me now.

Any one know how you give an Evernote note made with Alfred a title? I read somewhere that you should write :Title - but is doesnt work.

The work flow idea is great, but it has really no use if you can not give your notes titles.

I've asked a couple of times in the forum how you give notes titles, but no answers. I guess it's just not possible. Now another problem rendered the work flow completely useless: after installing Alfred 3 a box comes up (twice!), every time I try to do something, asking me "where Alfred 2" is.

It's really a pity - Evernote for Alfred would really have been a nice thing if it had worked.

I've asked a couple of times in the forum how you give notes titles, but no answers. I guess it's just not possible. Now another problem rendered the work flow completely useless: after installing Alfred 3 a box comes up (twice!), every time I try to do something, asking me "where Alfred 2" is.

It's really a pity - Evernote for Alfred would really have been a nice thing if it had worked.

As you have Alfred 3 installed, it asks you where Alfred 2 is as it doesn't exist anymore as i assume. I had it installed before. Point it to Alfred 3, so that 

your workflow works again.

kelpie...see my last post above, I'm guessing he followed that advice. Gotta modify a couple of the scripts to point to Alfred 3 instead of 2 and then you're in business.

Hi

Yes, I looked at that but the files you speak of don't exist in that location on my machine

Cheers

if you have this extension installed then they gotta exist somewhere. Do a search on your computer to find the location they reside in, then edit them from there.  I didn't give the exact path because the last folder is some long, cryptic string of characters. You just gotta figure out which one of 'em holds this extension.

if you have this extension installed then they gotta exist somewhere. Do a search on your computer to find the location they reside in, then edit them from there.  I didn't give the exact path because the last folder is some long, cryptic string of characters. You just gotta figure out which one of 'em holds this extension.

I found the prefs in my dropbox folder, I forgot I was syncing via Dropbox, but the q_workflow file is not there

I found the prefs in my dropbox folder, I forgot I was syncing via Dropbox, but the q_workflow file is not there

I posted a link to download the workflow here: 

Yeah like i said before, you have to change every "Alfred 2" to ""Alfred 3" but i couldn't find the q_workflow.scpt that is most important. Readded and there you go  :)

I uploaded a version that hopefully works for others here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/73dhaz0a0c353qi/Evernote.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Gonna link to this thread in the other thread.

The q_workflow is included there