Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

Hi all.

I absolutely dig Alfred+Evernote workflow! Use it all the time.

Question:

I do a lot of the following:

en tag:1:1 <<type something here>>

or 

en notebook:contacts <<type something here>>

Can somebody point me out to how I can create something so I can perform those things with less typing? 

Not sure if the best thing would be to extend the Evernote workflow for that, or create my own workflow with the things I use a lot, calling out to the existing workflows (such as the Evernote one).

Any help would be highly appreciated. Please, note that I know nothing of ActionScript, so any and all information will be helpful.  :)

Claudio

Hey there! I really love your workflow! Thank you for that!

I got a little suggestion: set another keyword (e.g. "enf") to display favoured notes! That would give quicker access.

Quick question, as you're the evernote + applescript master: 

I wanna create a tiny workflow that opens one specific note in a new window. But I struggle, as I'm new to Apple Script. 

Something like: 

tell application "Evernote"

open note window with note title "notetitle"

activate

end tell

What's wrong with that?

Thanks in advance and best greetings!

If you are already using OS X Mavericks I suggest you to use application ID instead of application in the tell block. Here is an example:

tell application id "com.Evernote.evernote"

set note1 to find notes "My Note Title Here"
        set note2 to item 1 of note1
	open note window with note2

end tell

This should work. I can't test it right now (away from my Mac). Let me know.

Hi all.

I absolutely dig Alfred+Evernote workflow! Use it all the time.

Question:

I do a lot of the following:

en tag:1:1 <<type something here>>

or 

en notebook:contacts <<type something here>>

Can somebody point me out to how I can create something so I can perform those things with less typing? 

Not sure if the best thing would be to extend the Evernote workflow for that, or create my own workflow with the things I use a lot, calling out to the existing workflows (such as the Evernote one).

Any help would be highly appreciated. Please, note that I know nothing of ActionScript, so any and all information will be helpful.   :)

Claudio

Please, check the initial post of this topic. You will see ways to handle notebooks and tags using @ and #.

Let me know if it helped.

I'm sorry, but that didn't help. In my case, there are certain tags and notebooks that I use a lot, so I'd like to create something where I don't have to type those frequent ones all the time. For instance, I'm always looking for something on "notebook:contacts", or tagged "tag:1:1"... I'm trying to avoid having to type that all the time... makes sense?

Hello all,

First of all, fantastic workflow! It is exactly what I have been looking for.

Quick question in regards to appending notes, specifically appending with a date.  Whenever I try to append text to a note, it only takes what is on my clipboard rather than the text I typed after enn and when I dont write any text nothing gets appended (not even whats in my clipboard.

Example 1:

1.  enn < text I wish to append to note >
  2. Hold the appropriate key and see the action change to append to existing note with date, hit return
  3. Search/select note i wish to append to.

Result:  Whatever was in my clipboard gets appended to the note with the date.

Example 2:

1.  enn
  2. Hold the appropriate key and see the action change to append to existing note with date, hit return

Result:  Nothing gets appended but the date.

I would have expected Example 1 to take my text and append it and Example 2 to take my clipboard as default.  I get the same results with a normal append action (no date).

Are my assumptions incorrect? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm sorry, but that didn't help. In my case, there are certain tags and notebooks that I use a lot, so I'd like to create something where I don't have to type those frequent ones all the time. For instance, I'm always looking for something on "notebook:contacts", or tagged "tag:1:1"... I'm trying to avoid having to type that all the time... makes sense?

Using @ or # you will see a list of notebooks and tags that could help you typing less.

But right now, maybe a text expander application could help you here. Do you have something to test? I use aText and it works great.

Anyway, I’ll think about it.

Hello all,

First of all, fantastic workflow! It is exactly what I have been looking for.

Quick question in regards to appending notes, specifically appending with a date.  Whenever I try to append text to a note, it only takes what is on my clipboard rather than the text I typed after enn and when I dont write any text nothing gets appended (not even whats in my clipboard.

Example 1:

1.  enn < text I wish to append to note >

Result:  Whatever was in my clipboard gets appended to the note with the date.

Example 2:

1.  enn

Result:  Nothing gets appended but the date.

I would have expected Example 1 to take my text and append it and Example 2 to take my clipboard as default.  I get the same results with a normal append action (no date).

Are my assumptions incorrect? Am I doing something wrong?

Note that you have to select the proper action (e.g. Type a Text) before holding the appropriate key.

In addition, make sure to use Evernote from evernte.com because the Mac App Store has some limitations.

I did a quick test and it is working.

Finally, try the latest workflow build: Download

Note that you have to select the proper action (e.g. Type a Text) before holding the appropriate key.

In addition, make sure to use Evernote from evernte.com because the Mac App Store has some limitations.

I did a quick test and it is working.

Finally, try the latest workflow build: Download

Ah, yes, I was hitting the shortcut key for what I wanted to do after typing what I wanted to append, rather than selecting the action then holding the key.  Got it working, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I really love this workflow. I use it all the time. Most often I use the typenote hotkey to enter a quick new note that will get picked up by http://www.zendone.com. The problem I have is that the script that is parsing what I type in the alfred text box is responding too slowly. This causes one of two things to happen:

1. The subtitle will continue to say "Loading..." for sometime after I've finished typing the note. Usually this isn't that long but I've seen it take up to 5 seconds to say anything else. During this time I just have to wait.
  2. The subtitle is slightly behind my typing and if I hit return, only the portion of the note that was reflected in the subtitle is sent to Evernote. So if I type "typenote -Call Dad. Tuesday<return>" quickly, often all that gets sent to Evernote is "-Call Dad. Tuesda". I have to wait and make sure all the characters get through the script filter before I hit return. This turns out to be a big problem. My workarounds are to either just be patient before hitting return (I don't always remember this) or to use enn instead of typenote, which is also suboptimal because I have to be sure to choose the "enter from text" option vs selection or clipboard.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks so much!

--dan.

I really love this workflow. I use it all the time. Most often I use the typenote hotkey to enter a quick new note that will get picked up by http://www.zendone.com. The problem I have is that the script that is parsing what I type in the alfred text box is responding too slowly. This causes one of two things to happen:

1. The subtitle will continue to say "Loading..." for sometime after I've finished typing the note. Usually this isn't that long but I've seen it take up to 5 seconds to say anything else. During this time I just have to wait.
  2. The subtitle is slightly behind my typing and if I hit return, only the portion of the note that was reflected in the subtitle is sent to Evernote. So if I type "typenote -Call Dad. Tuesday<return>" quickly, often all that gets sent to Evernote is "-Call Dad. Tuesda". I have to wait and make sure all the characters get through the script filter before I hit return. This turns out to be a big problem. My workarounds are to either just be patient before hitting return (I don't always remember this) or to use enn instead of typenote, which is also suboptimal because I have to be sure to choose the "enter from text" option vs selection or clipboard.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks so much!

--dan.

Interesting. enn script is more complex than the typenote one.

I don’t have any issue with them, there is not a 5 sec lag.

Please, try the latest workflow build and let me know: Download

I'm really excited to use this workflow, but I can't get it to work! When I start with "ENT" Alfred can't find any notes with my search term in the title - even when it's something I know is in a title. Is there some setup procedure I'm missing? I've downloaded two other Evernote workflows and they are able to search and find words in a note's title, but I'm eager to use this one to search by title exclusively. I'm running Mavericks. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

I'm really excited to use this workflow, but I can't get it to work! When I start with "ENT" Alfred can't find any notes with my search term in the title - even when it's something I know is in a title. Is there some setup procedure I'm missing? I've downloaded two other Evernote workflows and they are able to search and find words in a note's title, but I'm eager to use this one to search by title exclusively. I'm running Mavericks. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Make sure to download Evernote from evernote.com and not from Mac App Store.

• 2 weeks later...

2. The subtitle is slightly behind my typing and if I hit return, only the portion of the note that was reflected in the subtitle is sent to Evernote. So if I type "typenote -Call Dad. Tuesday<return>" quickly, often all that gets sent to Evernote is "-Call Dad. Tuesda". I have to wait and make sure all the characters get through the script filter before I hit return. This turns out to be a big problem. My workarounds are to either just be patient before hitting return (I don't always remember this) or to use enn instead of typenote, which is also suboptimal because I have to be sure to choose the "enter from text" option vs selection or clipboard

I also have problem #2 and am frequently submitting truncated notes to ZenDone because of it. The lag is quite short, but it's long enough that if I hit <Return> immediately after typing my note only about half of it gets submitted.

Does this work with OS X Mavericks? I've made sure that the right version of Evernote was installed and that I've used the latest version of the workflow posted here. 

When I type "ent <search string>" the workflow just says "searching", but never returns any results. 

In my case it does work under maverick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so new and totally clueless at all this but:

Alfred makes my switching from pc to mac suddenly make even more sense.

At 70 yrs. old I need all the time consuming mouse moving I can get!!  ;-)

And Carlos-Sz 'gift' of this Evernote functionality within Alfred is beyond wonderful.

Carlos whoever you are, where ever you are THANK YOU!!!!

...from the bottom of my heart.

Name your fave charity so I can send them some $.

...and for all you other Alfred community devs out there. 

THANK YOU 2!!!

Pat

Evernote 7.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Couldn't find if it was asked:

Is it possible to limit Recent Notes (enr command) to look through last day notes only and to sort notes by modify date, so the latest notes would be on top of the list? 

Right now it can’t be changed. The keyword will list recent notes "since last week”. However, it should list most recent notes first. 

I'm so new and totally clueless at all this but:

Alfred makes my switching from pc to mac suddenly make even more sense.

At 70 yrs. old I need all the time consuming mouse moving I can get!!  ;-)

And Carlos-Sz 'gift' of this Evernote functionality within Alfred is beyond wonderful.

Carlos whoever you are, where ever you are THANK YOU!!!!

...from the bottom of my heart.

Name your fave charity so I can send them some $.

...and for all you other Alfred community devs out there. 

THANK YOU 2!!!

Pat

I’m really glad to hear the workflow is useful for you.

Thank you for your kind words, also from the bottom of my heart.

Carlos, thanks for your reply. 

Right now it can’t be changed. The keyword will list recent notes "since last week”. However, it should list most recent notes first. 

I've downloaded the latest workflow.

It shows some notes, but it isn't the last modified notes. Is it possible to sort results by time of last update? 

Carlos, thanks for your reply. 

I've downloaded the latest workflow.

It shows some notes, but it isn't the last modified notes. Is it possible to sort results by time of last update? 

Can you tell which order is displayed, e.g. new (not modified) notes first? Thank you.

Evernote workflow version 7.9 is out:

• Keyword enm
  • keyword enu
  • Several improvements
  • Bugs fixed
  • Removed Alleyoop support

Note: this is the first version that starts to handle Reminders. The keyword enm will list all due reminders. You can select a note and press Command key to set the note status reminder to Done.

The next step is to set a Reminder within Alfred.

Download

enrm.png

Het Carlos,

Thanks for the update. Being able to show my reminders is really great.

I'm not sure if this is a bug that's just been introduced because this is the first time I've tried the feature (didn't realise it was there until I just reviewed the help). When I type "enc" it says "No shortcuts found", but I have 11 of them listed there. All other functions work normally, and I haven't downloaded evernote from the App Store.

Best,

Alex

Het Carlos,

Thanks for the update. Being able to show my reminders is really great.

I'm not sure if this is a bug that's just been introduced because this is the first time I've tried the feature (didn't realise it was there until I just reviewed the help). When I type "enc" it says "No shortcuts found", but I have 11 of them listed there. All other functions work normally, and I haven't downloaded evernote from the App Store.

Best,

Alex

This is a feature not supported by Evernote itself. The workflow tries to parse a file that contains the shortcuts. But it seems that not all files are the same. There is a great chance that I'll remove this feature . Thanks.

Version 7.91 is out

• Hold option key to set a reminder (keywords ensentenrenm or end)
  • keyword end (display to-do notes)
  • Keyword enm (display reminder notes)
  • keyword enu (open note URL instead of note itself)
  • Several improvements
  • Bugs fixed
  • Removed Alleyoop support

Note: this is the first version that starts to handle Reminders. The keyword enm will list all due reminders. You can select a note and press Command key to set the note status reminder to Done.

This is a workflow version 8 pre-release. Please test the new set reminder feature and give some suggestions before the final version. Thanks.

Download

enrm.png

Edited by Carlos-Sz

for the end keyword.. I tried it and It does show  a selection of evernote items with todo items.. But what's the algorithm for which ones it decides to show me?  I'm looking at the list and can't figure why its showing the list I'm getting : it's not the most recent, not the least recent?

Same thing for reminders - I get a list - but what determines the order they are displayed in?