Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

I use this workflow every day, multiple times a day. It has revolutionized the way I use Evernote. Thank you.

I have one feature request: partial match of at least ent, maybe ens if it makes sense. For example, if I am looking for the note called "Media Times", "ent me" returns a blank list. I have to type all the way to "ent media" before I get results.

Thanks again.

Thank you Ed.

Right now the note content will also be the note title.

I’m still thinking about an improved way to type note directly from Alfred window. One way would be to create a new line sign (e.g. /nf) this way the workflow would take the first line as the title and format properly into Evernote. Example:

enn Shopping List /nf Milk /nf Eggs /nf Apples

The above command would appear in Evernote this way:

Note Title:

Shopping List

Note Content:

Milk

Eggs

Apples

The advantage of this approach is not only a possible custom title but also create multiple lines notes.

What do you think? Too complicate or it would be nice to have such alternative?

Thanks for the quick reply!  I think that is a great idea. Is it possible to use a shorter "delimiter" for a new line? Typing one character instead of three might be quicker. Something like:

enn Shopping List | Milk | Eggs | Apples @Notebook #Tag1 #Tag2 !Reminder

Would something like that work?

Ed

I use this workflow every day, multiple times a day. It has revolutionized the way I use Evernote. Thank you.

I have one feature request: partial match of at least ent, maybe ens if it makes sense. For example, if I am looking for the note called "Media Times", "ent me" returns a blank list. I have to type all the way to "ent media" before I get results.

Thanks again.

You have two options:

1) type a wildcard e.g. ent me*

Or set the workflow to use the wildcard by default. Show Alfred and type the keyword enpref to run the workflow preferences then in step 2 select Automatic:

enpref-wc.png

Thanks for the quick reply!  I think that is a great idea. Is it possible to use a shorter "delimiter" for a new line? Typing one character instead of three might be quicker. Something like:

enn Shopping List | Milk | Eggs | Apples @Notebook #Tag1 #Tag2 !Reminder

Would something like that work?

Ed

Maybe then a two characters delimiter to the users can use “|” if need it. Here’s something that is fast to type:

enn @Notebook #Tag1 #Tag2 !Reminder : Shopping List /n Milk /n Eggs

The new approach will follow the main Syntax only adding a way to enter a return character.

Here is a new version (still a beta one) that starts to add support for a tag like #ToBuy or a tag like @Home as well as notebooks names that start with a hash or an at sign.

Download Version 8.1 Beta Now

Please, make some tests and let me know. Thank you.

This worked perfectly!  Please include it going forward.  I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now.  You are super responsive, it turns out (and I failed to set up notifications for this thread)!

I note in a download link you put out for someone later in this thread that it doesn't include the above allowance for tags like #@Work, so hopefully it's not a big deal to get what you linked to me above in the permanent branch.

This worked perfectly!  Please include it going forward.  I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now.  You are super responsive, it turns out (and I failed to set up notifications for this thread)!

I note in a download link you put out for someone later in this thread that it doesn't include the above allowance for tags like #@Work, so hopefully it's not a big deal to get what you linked to me above in the permanent branch.

I’m finishing a new version that should be ready next week. It will include tags and notebooks starting with @ or #. :)

Maybe then a two characters delimiter to the users can use “|” if need it. Here’s something that is fast to type:

enn @Notebook #Tag1 #Tag2 !Reminder : Shopping List /n Milk /n Eggs

The new approach will follow the main Syntax only adding a way to enter a return character.

Carlos,

I think that would work and would be very usable! 

Great stuff! Thank you!

Ed

Evernote 8.6 is out

• Release date: 30 Apr 2014
  • Made in OS X 10.9.2
  • Requires Evernote 5.5 from evernote.com
  • Requires Alfred 2.3 or later
  • Download now

What's new?

• Improved reminder time support e.g. Tomorrow at 2:00
  • Added support for tags that start with a hash sign e.g. #Home
  • Added support for tags that start with an at sign e.g. @Work
  • Added support for notebooks that start with an at sign e.g. @Notes
  • Workflow should be faster in most of cases
  • When appending from a search result now you can hold Option key to include current date
  • Type a Note supports multiple lines (first line will be the title) e.g. enn Line 1 /n Line 2
  • New Keyword enl and its hotkey to load the last search query
  • Added support for some of Alfred 2.3 new features

Thank you all for the great feedback!

Edited by Carlos-Sz

Hello,

I'm trying to use your workflow, but it doesn't work. In Alfred's debug windows i got the following error :

Starting debug for 'Evernote'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 0:90: execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get «class plif» "/Users/Ludo/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.sztoltz.evernote/settings.plist" of application "System Events". (-1728)

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ludo

Hello,

I'm trying to use your workflow, but it doesn't work. In Alfred's debug windows i got the following error :

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 0:90: execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get «class plif» "/Users/Ludo/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.sztoltz.evernote/settings.plist" of application "System Events". (-1728)

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ludo

Please, make sure you are using Alfred 2.3 (262) and Evernote from evernote.com.

This Alfred version is required and it is available as a pre-release (not an update).

Here is a link to the previous version if you need it: 8.0 final.

Anyway, I’ll also make some tests to see if I can reproduce the error.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ludo

OK. I’ve found an issue for

Hi,

I'm using the latest V2.3 (262) version of Alfred and V5.5.1 (402629 App Store) of Evernote.

Do you think the problem is caused by my Evernote version from App Store ?

Thanks

OK. I’ve found an issue when using the workflow for the very first time.

Download the new version here.

Some workflow features may not work in Evernote from the Mac App Store. The recommendation is to download Evernote from evernote.com.

Thank you for your feedback.

Evernote's web site brings me back to the app store.

Where's the alfred pre-release? 

:)

Evernote download:

Go to evernote.com/evernote and instead of clicking the big green button click the little white arrow then select Mac OS X.

Alfred pre-release:

Go to Alfred Preferences then Update (at top right) then below where it says Automatically check for select pre-releases. The version required by the latest Evernote workflow version should be there.

alfredpref.png

Not sure what's special about my Evernote installation, but after some debugging I found that appending doesn't work unless I do 

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/
ln -s ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Evernote

( ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote doesn't exist on my computer )

Did I say that this Workflow totally rocks?

Not sure what's special about my Evernote installation, but after some debugging I found that appending doesn't work unless I do 

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/
ln -s ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Evernote

( ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote doesn't exist on my computer )

Did I say that this Workflow totally rocks?

Thank you!

Please, make sure to install Evernote app from evernote.com and not from Mac App Store.

Can you please test the build below? Thank you.

Download Evernote 8.61

Carlos,

I am having some trouble with the Append functionality. Perhaps I am doing it wrong but when I follow the steps in the help section, it doesn't list any notes for me to choose. After I hit command-enter, the only options available are search engines. None of my notes from Evernote are appearing even though I know there are matches to what is typed so far. See image.... (by the way, I switched to Evernote download instead of app store and I just downloaded 8.61 of the workflow with the same results)

By the way... LOVING the new multiline functionality (/n)!!

Evernote_8_6__append.jpg

Edited by edrstone