Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

Carlos-Sz, thank you for great workflow!!

I just made a small modification to it, perhaps someone else will benefit from it as well. The objective is to retain file creation date when creating a note from selected Finder file.

In file "create_evernote.scpt" I added a line "set theFileDate to creation date of theFile" and few other words "set n to create note title sText from file x created theFileDate".

If you find it useful, probably you can update the workflow in next version.

Carlos-Sz, thank you for great workflow!!

I just made a small modification to it, perhaps someone else will benefit from it as well. The objective is to retain file creation date when creating a note from selected Finder file.

In file "create_evernote.scpt" I added a line "set theFileDate to creation date of theFile" and few other words "set n to create note title sText from file x created theFileDate".

If you find it useful, probably you can update the workflow in next version.

Great idea. You can count on it in next update along with: (1) improved multiple files from Finder; (2) add new note from Mail app messages; (3) a lot of improvements… :)

By the way, if you’d like to test a pre-release let me know.

Can someone explain how to append to a note? Specifically, nothing happens after this step

hold fn key (the subtitle will indicate the appending operation) and hit return key

I can create notes in the Evernote app fine. However, the fn key followed by the return key does not trigger any notes to append to

Can someone explain how to append to a note? Specifically, nothing happens after this step

hold fn key (the subtitle will indicate the appending operation) and hit return key

I can create notes in the Evernote app fine. However, the fn key followed by the return key does not trigger any notes to append to

after you press enter you should be back in alfred with the text "* note" in which case you can type to search the note you want to append to. however, there should be some notes that are shown in the alfred result list.

after you press enter you should be back in alfred with the text "* note" in which case you can type to search the note you want to append to. however, there should be some notes that are shown in the alfred result list.

Thank you yoose.

Here is a step by step:

1. select some text in e.g. Safari

2. bring Alfred and type the keyword ennew

3. highlight the item New Note from Text Selection

4. hold fn key and hit return key

5. now, as yoose said, you should see Alfred again with the text ❊ note and a list of Evernote notes

6. select a note and hit return key

7. now wait a bit because the workflow will copy the text and append to the selected note

If you are not seeing step 5 please reinstall the workflow. If you are still having problems I can send you the current in progress version that already has several improvements.

Help - I can't get this workflow to work - what am I doing wrong?  I put in ennew but as soon as I type the w it  starts to search Google, etc.  It's the same when I try ent as soon as I press the space bar and then a letter it begins to search Google, etc 

Help - I can't get this workflow to work - what am I doing wrong?  I put in ennew but as soon as I type the w it  starts to search Google, etc.  It's the same when I try ent as soon as I press the space bar and then a letter it begins to search Google, etc 

There is a good chance that your problem is the same that we discussed in the previous page.

Please go to System Preferences, Accessibility and check Enable access for assistive devices:

access.png

In the next workflow version this system feature should not be necessary.

Have enabled access for assistive devices quit Alfred2 and restarted it.  Deleted evernote workflow and reimported it but it has made no difference.

1. Make sure Evernote is updated; try to restart Evernote too.

2. Make sure to update Alfred 2

3. If you have some free time you can try to see if there is an error message following the instructions in post #98

2. Finally, you can try the version 5.7 beta of the Evernote workflow that is still in progress: download now

Everything is up-to-date.  Have tried running your script but get Syntax error - expected "," but found property or key form.  Nothing showing in result box.  Tried to post a screen shot but am not allowed to.  When I do ennew it doesn't give me the options it only says create a new note in Evernote and search Google Amazon and Wikipedia so I can't add something from clipboard. 

Everything is up-to-date.  Have tried running your script but get Syntax error - expected "," but found property or key form.  Nothing showing in result box.  Tried to post a screen shot but am not allowed to.  When I do ennew it doesn't give me the options it only says create a new note in Evernote and search Google Amazon and Wikipedia so I can't add something from clipboard. 

Did you also try version 5.7 beta?

Are you running OSX 10.8.3?

When you see the error in that script is any line of the script highlighted?

Would you mind to send the screenshot and talk about the issues using an email? You can contact me at carlos.sz at gmail dot com.

Thank you.

Thank you yoose for the detailed instructions. Thank you Carlos-SZ for providing the 5.7beta and the suggestions to quit Evernote and Alfred 2. I can now append text to existing notes. This is really helpful to my daily workflow. So appreciate this

Great to hear and thank you for your feedback!

By the way, version 6 is coming soon:

• Easily import selected messages in Mail
  • Imporved New Note from Text Selection if topmost application is Mail
  • URL and email URL added to source URL field of the note (instead of appended to the end of the note)
  • Improved support for multiple selected files in Finder
  • New Note from Finder Selected Files: note creation date will be the file one (thanks to dantetemp)
  • Removed dependency from OSX preference Access for assistive devices
  • Several internal improvements including support for Alfred 2.0.3 (187) that fixes some issues regarding AppleScripts

Thank you yoose for the detailed instructions. Thank you Carlos-SZ for providing the 5.7beta and the suggestions to quit Evernote and Alfred 2. I can now append text to existing notes. This is really helpful to my daily workflow. So appreciate this

no problem, happy to help and glad to hear you got it working

Great to hear and thank you for your feedback!

By the way, version 6 is coming soon:

• URL and email URL added to source URL field of the note (instead of appended to the end of the note)
  • New Note from Finder Selected Files: note creation date will be the file one (thanks to dantetemp)
  • Removed dependency from OSX preference Access for assistive devices
  • Several internal improvements including support for Alfred 2.0.3 (187) that fixes some issues regarding AppleScripts

hi carlos, thanks for the nice workflow, the updates look great. is there a way to add an option for appending to the beginning of the file instead of to the end? thanks. 

hi carlos, thanks for the nice workflow, the updates look great. is there a way to add an option for appending to the beginning of the file instead of to the end? thanks. 

Evernote does not have a prepend command only an append one.

I think it would be possible to do it manually (and I’ll make some tests) but for now I’d like to use only Evernote native commands.

Version 6.0 is out:

• List all notebooks and search from one of them: use keyword en then type a hash sign e.g. en #

New list notebooks feature:

en_notebooks.png

​Search within a selected notebook:

en_nbsearch.png

Evernote does not have a prepend command only an append one.

I think it would be possible to do it manually (and I’ll make some tests) but for now I’d like to use only Evernote native commands.

ah I see. thanks for looking into it.

Just installed Alfred V2 and the 6.0 workflow. Adding a note from Finder selection doesn't seem to do anything for me...

Make sure to check the selected files in Alfred window:

en_finder_selected.png

Above I have 2 files selected.

Finally, try to restart Alfred 2 and Evernote.

If you’re still having problems please give me more details about your Mac, OSX, if Path Finder is replacing Finder, if Note from Selection or Clipboard are working, if searching is working (keyword en) and so on. You can contact me at: carlos dot sz at gmail dot com

Thank you.

I love this Workflow but have never yet gotten 'Add file' to work.

I'm running OSX 10.8.3, Evernote 5.0.7, Workflow 6.0 and Alfred 2.0.3 (187).

I've now resorted to using a Finder sidebar folder monitored by Hazel. I just drag a file onto it and Hazel pops it into Evernote.

I love this Workflow but have never yet gotten 'Add file' to work.

I'm running OSX 10.8.3, Evernote 5.0.7, Workflow 6.0 and Alfred 2.0.3 (187).

I've now resorted to using a Finder sidebar folder monitored by Hazel. I just drag a file onto it and Hazel pops it into Evernote.

When you are adding a file do you see it in Alfred? Something like this:

en_finder_selected.png

Can you add other type of notes? Like from Text Selection?

If you have time I can send you a script to execute so we can try to catch an error? Finally: do you have Google Chrome installed?

Thanks.

Yes. I can add New, From Selection and From Clipboard. It's just 'File' that doesn't work.

I do have Chrome installed.

I'll gladly give the script a go.

Many thanks.

Great. Please:

1. download and unzip in a folder (there are two files) the test: download now

2. open en_addnote.scpt in AppleScript Editor

3. select a file in Finder to add in Evernote (make sure nothing is also selected in the Desktop due a bug in Finder)

4. Click the AppleScript Editor Run button or hit Command+R

5. take a screenshot of the error and the Result

Here is an AppleScript Editor screenshot showing the Run button and the Result window at bottom:

aseditor.png

Edited by Carlos-Sz