Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

I posted the reason behind this problem a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the forum.

The app store version of Evernote is sandboxed. As such, it can only access files in certain folders. I and others have the same problem with Scansnap software. If you use their "scan to Evernote" function, you have to make sure the scan goes to folders like Documents or Pictures, otherwise it won't work. If you look in the console log when you attempt to save a file to Evernote via this workflow, you'll see sandbox errors. You can verify this by creating a note from a file in, say, the Documents folder. That will work. But try a file from, say, Dropbox, and it won't.

I think the only solution is to use the downloadable version of Evernote rather then the app store version. Not sure of the process to revert to that yet. But then you'll also get back the "print PDF to Evernote" function, which is good!

When the workflow sent the file Evernote didn’t create a note for some reason. The error occurs after that when the workflow expects a note and tells Evernote to change its creation date.

Did you download your Evernote from Mac App Store? 

Can you try the version from Evernote site?

[update] I installed the Mac App Store version and I can’t add a file anymore. Evernote does not send an error though. In resume, if you’d like the feature it seems you have to install Evernote from evernote.com.

I posted the reason behind this problem a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the forum.

The app store version of Evernote is sandboxed. As such, it can only access files in certain folders. I and others have the same problem with Scansnap software. If you use their "scan to Evernote" function, you have to make sure the scan goes to folders like Documents or Pictures, otherwise it won't work. If you look in the console log when you attempt to save a file to Evernote via this workflow, you'll see sandbox errors. You can verify this by creating a note from a file in, say, the Documents folder. That will work. But try a file from, say, Dropbox, and it won't.

I think the only solution is to use the downloadable version of Evernote rather then the app store version. Not sure of the process to revert to that yet. But then you'll also get back the "print PDF to Evernote" function, which is good!

Thank you. I was not aware of this kind of limitation.

Edited by Carlos-Sz

I’m not sure how Evernote is consistent regarding its local note storage path. But if there is a common path to go then preview is coming to Evernote workflow. Here is a screenshot from a HTML preview (instead of tiny Evernote image preview): en_quicklook.png

Of course it is possible to use Evernote default preview but I’m not sure how useful it is to have an image of part of the note instead of having the entire note in HTML.

Any thoughts? :)

Here is the same note with the Evernote default preview:

en_spotlight.png

Edited by Carlos-Sz

Create new note from selected file in finder is just not working with this workflow. Any tips?

New Note from Finder and the upcoming preview feature requires Evernote from evernote.com. The Mac App Store version of Evernote, due the application sandbox, does not work.

Great workflow thanks! 

How about a "scan to evernote" feature in this workflow? Here is a very simple manual how to.

Image Capture does not have an AppleScript dictionary which means the only thing I could do is open the application. Or do you have something else in mind? :)

Image Capture does not have an AppleScript dictionary which means the only thing I could do is open the application. Or do you have something else in mind? :)

A pity, but maybe better than nothing. But what about this?

Edited by Davide

A pity, but maybe better than nothing. But what about this?

That would work for an English system. Anyway, what would the workflow look like?

1. you place a paper on a scanner

2. you bring Alfred and type enscan (for example)

3. then Evernote workflow would start Image Capture and click Scan button

Is that all?

I’ll consider it but it seems it will only work in an English system and Image Capture should be configured before.

I was wondering: Is there a way to make Evernote automatically open when I create a new note using Alfred? 

Other than, this is a great workflow and I can only recommend anybody who daily use Evernote to try it.

Thank you.

Do you mean create a new note then see it in Evernote right away?

That would work for an English system. Anyway, what would the workflow look like?

1. you place a paper on a scanner

2. you bring Alfred and type enscan (for example)

3. then Evernote workflow would start Image Capture and click Scan button

Is that all?

I’ll consider it but it seems it will only work in an English system and Image Capture should be configured before.

Your description is exactly my idea! Thank you, for your wonderful support.

I use a German system, is there a chance that this script will work with "some" German words at the right place? I made this experience already

with other Apple scripts. E.g. this workflow

Yes, exactly.

Your description is exactly my idea! Thank you, for your wonderful support.

I use a German system, is there a chance that this script will work with "some" German words at the right place? I made this experience already

with other Apple scripts. E.g. this workflow

OK. Here is a beta version for you to test:

• keyword ennew: hold command key to create a new note and open it right after
  • keyword enscan: it will start OSX Image Capture, wait for it to get ready (it usually scans a preview) and then click the Scan button (no matter what language) automatically*
  • keyword en: it is possible to preview (SHIFT key) the note in Alfred window; the preview is in HTML which shows all note instead of a small screenshot of it

* To use scanning feature please check Enable Access for Assistive Devices in the Accessibility in System Preferences

* Don’t forget to set Image Capture to work with Evernote. See a good tutorial here. In resume, drag Evernote.app (from Applications folder) into “Scan To” pop up control of Image Capture window.

Download Evernote 6.5 beta 2 now

Thank you aleksanderrosenkilde and Davide for your great feedback.

Edited by Carlos-Sz

Thanks so much Carlos!

It works almost perfect but I get the message "Evernote is not set as scan destination in Image capture" but it is. If I press the Scan button manualy it works fine.

Edited by Davide

This seems like an awesome workflow, but I'm having problems getting it working on one machine. :( It appears it's not able to connect or read anything from Evernote.

- Evernote is installed (from the site, not the app store) and working

- I'm able to run the workflow from another machine (Alfred settings synced through Dropbox)

- Both machines running latest OSX and Alfred versions

- Both machines using Evernote 6.0 (I tried the beta version as well to no avail)

- I tried reinstalling Alfred and the Evernote workflow

- I tried rebooting my machine

- I tried Clearing Application Cache and Rebuilding OS X Metadata from in Alfred's advanced settings

Any ideas?

This seems like an awesome workflow, but I'm having problems getting it working on one machine.  :( It appears it's not able to connect or read anything from Evernote.

- Evernote is installed (from the site, not the app store) and working

- I'm able to run the workflow from another machine (Alfred settings synced through Dropbox)

- Both machines running latest OSX and Alfred versions

- Both machines using Evernote 6.0 (I tried the beta version as well to no avail)

- I tried reinstalling Alfred and the Evernote workflow

- I tried rebooting my machine

- I tried Clearing Application Cache and Rebuilding OS X Metadata from in Alfred's advanced settings

Any ideas?

The last problem reported here was due an OSX account issue.

You can test by creating a new user account in your Mac then trying the workflow.

We can also make some tests to see what is the error reported by the system. Please contact me: carlos.sz at gmail dot com

By the way, in the previous page I posted a test that you can try too. Link.

Search doesn't seem to work for me. I have had a lot of workflow issues with Alfred 2 and other workflows. I'm wondering if its because I have two internal drives and my home folder is stored on one and my startup disk is another. 

Does this sound possible?

Search doesn't seem to work for me. I have had a lot of workflow issues with Alfred 2 and other workflows. I'm wondering if its because I have two internal drives and my home folder is stored on one and my startup disk is another. 

Does this sound possible?

It is possible. If the workflow can get, for some reason, a normal path to the home folder then it may not work indeed.

Are you using version 6.0 or 6.5 beta of the workflow?

If you’d like to make some tests please email me at carlos.sz at gmail dot com 

The search doesn't work at all for me :(

I type "en keyword" and it just says "Searching..." and that's it. I have a standard installaton of Evernote 5.1.3, Mac OS X 10.8.3 and Alfred 2. I tried your regular and beta versions both give the same result

UPDATE: Everything is working after I updated to Alfred 2.0.3

Edited by Cobraman

The search doesn't work at all for me :(

I type "en keyword" and it just says "Searching..." and that's it. I have a standard installaton of Evernote 5.1.3, Mac OS X 10.8.3 and Alfred 2. I tried your regular and beta versions both give the same result

UPDATE: Everything is working after I updated to Alfred 2.0.3

Great to hear. A new version of the workflow is coming soon.