Apple Music search with Alfred

1 minute ago, gingerbeardman said:

Yes, you're missing folders to store the thumbnail images.

See my previous message.

Fair enough 😉

I made the folder and it works now. Only caveat is that it takes a long time (30 - 120 s) every time I search for a new song, so it only really works with songs you've already searched for in practice. I'm just thinking, is it then really worth it to cache all those thumbnails? Why not just do like with artist, no thumbnails? 1) It's instant and 2) Works out of the box without need to manually create a new folder in `~/Library/Cache`

Something is wrong if it is taking 30 to 120 seconds for you. 

For me it generally (depending on the complexity of the query) takes a few seconds, and one of those is a wait before we actually begin the query.

That said, things (Apple's server?) never used to be this slow, so I think it's good to have faster options.

So I've uploaded 2.3 which defaults to skipping thumbail images.

https://www.gingerbeardman.com/alfred/

The keywords for song/album with thumbail images are still there, but renamed as isong and ialbum, for people who wish to use them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by gingerbeardman
21 minutes ago, gingerbeardman said:

Something is wrong if it is taking 30 to 120 seconds for you. 

For me it generally (depending on the complexity of the query) takes a few seconds, and one of those is a wait before we actually begin the query.

That said, things (Apple's server?) never used to be this slow, so I think it's good to have faster options.

So I've uploaded 2.3 which defaults to skipping thumbail images.

https://www.gingerbeardman.com/alfred/

The keywords for song/album with thumbail images are still there, but renamed as isong and ialbum, for people who wish to use them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ah I was on VPN before, now it's only 10s, and without thumbnails 3s. I still prefer without thumbnails though. Thanks :)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 AM, gingerbeardman said:

It does, I use it with Alfred 4 every day. 

What made you think that it didn't work with Alfred 4?

Probably just because I cant get it working, but I have zero clue.... will keep trying, thanks again

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just a small question from a noob.
I have some trouble to run your workflow because "python command not found".
I use homebrew to handling those kind of software and I try to replace your script with the interpreter python3 and it didn't work. 
Can I ask which version of python is required to run your workflow ?
Please do not hesitate to give me some documentation to read to improve myself.

Kr,

Edited by sqll

The easiest way to get this working again is reinstall python2 as here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/kb/python-2-monterey/

And then change all script filters in the workflow to call /usr/local/bin/python rather than just python. I just did that and it's now working for me.

Ideally, I would rewrite it in Python3 but I probably won't find the time in between paid work. I did try and got quite far but some arcane errors halted my progress. It's probably due a 10 year anniversary rebuild from scratch.

Edited by gingerbeardman
On 3/28/2022 at 1:34 PM, gingerbeardman said:

And then change all script filters in the workflow to call /usr/local/bin/python rather than just python.

That won’t work for people on Apple Silicon. The more versatile option is to prepend export PATH="/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:${PATH}" and then call python (no full path). Like so (linked removed because fix was added officially).

Edited by vitor
  • 1 month later...