Rename files based on content

I have about 200 files, all called item.html, each in a folder with a unique name.

I would like to rename the file or enclosing folder, based on the content of the file. I know that each file contains title="xxxx-xx-xx" where x is a digit 0-9

Is there already a workflow that will look for a target within a file? I couldn't see one.

If not, any idea how I might do this? I suppose I could open each file in something like BBEDIT, but that seems awfully difficult.

Thanks

Should be easy enough. However, there’s two things (I can think of right now) I need to be able to help:

• What exactly do you want (is it to rename the file, the enclosing directory, or both)?
  • Can you show me the contents of at least one of the files? I don’t need everything, but at least the line with title, one above and one below. It can be fake data, but the structure needs to be faithful to the original.

Also, as a kind of 2a, seeing as I don’t have access to the files I need to be sure they’re structured exactly the same way, at least in what pertains to title (title ="4444-44-44" is different from title="4444-44-44" (different spacing around = sign) or title='4444-44-44' (different quote types)).

Based on your specs, this php snippet (not fully tested) should do the trick:

<?php

// Only deals with first level directories
// Get all the directories in the main directory, excluding '.' and '..'
foreach ( array_diff( scan_dir( $main_dir ), [ '.', '..' ] ) as $dir ) :

// check to make sure that the dir is a dir and that item.html exists
	if ( ! ( is_dir( $dir ) && file_exists( $dir . '/item.html' ) ) ) {
		continue;
	}

// grab the contents of the file
	$contents = file_get_contents( $dir . '/item.html' );

// regex pattern to catch stuff with weird spacing. Add in more quotation types
	// if you need them
	$pattern = '/test[ ]*=[ ]*[\'"]([0-9]{4})-([0-9]{2})-([0-9]{2})[\'"]/';
	// match all the contents
	preg_match( $pattern, $contents, $matches );

// the first match isn't what we want
	array_shift( $matches );

// we could use a join, but there is a possibility that more things would match further down,
	// so we'll just manually use the first three.
	$name = $matches[0] . '-' . $matches[1] . '-' . $matches[2];

// If you want a dry run, comment out the "rename" functions and uncomment the next two lines:
	// print "Renaming {$dir}/item.html to {$dir}/{$name}.html\r\n";
	// print "Renaming {$dir} to {$name}\r\n";

// rename the file
	rename( $dir . '/item.html', $dir . '/' . $name . '.html' );

// rename the directory
	rename( $dir, $name );
endforeach;

Read through the comments to understand it better.

Unless you use this often, then you needn't create a workflow but can just run the script. If you're doing the latter, then just copy/paste that into a file called, say, "renamer.php" and drop it into the directory above all the other ones. Then open a terminal and run "php renamer.php", and you should be done. If you want to test it out first to make sure it does what you want, then comment out the "rename" lines and uncomment the "print" lines above it.

The regex used should account for the minor variation that Vítor mentioned in his 2a.