Search doesn't pick up results where first letter is missing

ajw31

Hi,

When I launch Alfred's search box using a hot key and immediately start typing, my oldish and slowish Mac sometimes misses the first character. When this happens, Alfred does not return expected results.

For example, if I type 'Word' but the 'W' is missed...i.e. Alfred only sees 'ord'...the Word application does not appear in the search results.

I'm surprised at this. I've looked through the settings and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell Alfred to include search results which contain the string even if a file or app doesn't start with the first letter of the string.

Is this hard-coded behaviour, or have I missed something? Or might this be a feature request? 

Thanks,

ajw31

Hi,

When I launch Alfred's search box using a hot key and immediately start typing, my oldish and slowish Mac sometimes misses the first character. When this happens, Alfred does not return expected results.

With a slower Mac, I'd suggest first checking whether you've got background apps running that are unnecessary and may generally be slowing your Mac down.

As soon as OS X tells Alfred to take focus, Alfred listens for your keystrokes, so the quicker OS X is able to do this, the sooner Alfred will be able to pick up the first character of your search term.

Next, in Alfred's Appearance Options, have a look at whether "Fade in Alfred Window" is checked. If so, uncheck it so that Alfred shows up as instantly as possible. You can also change the Focusing option to "Compatibility", which allows Alfred to take window focus more aggressively. 

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero