Super Newb Question - Creating workflow within application

I'm very new to scripting and programming, so if this is so basic that I need to take an applescript course first, just let me know.

​I'd like to create a workflow in an uncommon application (LightSpeed). When I have the application open, I'd like to create a hotkey or voice command that navigates:

​1. Tools-->Export to Quickbooks

2. then waits for me to specify dates in the window that opens

3. ​then specifies a particular folder and selects enter to save.

I think that would get me to the point that I could teach myself a bit.

Is this kind of thing possible in Alfred? Where should I go for the best crash course to gain the skills I need. Most youtube vids suck and don't explain basic concepts.

Thanks,

Ragnar

I'm very new to scripting and programming, so if this is so basic that I need to take an applescript course first, just let me know.

​I'd like to create a workflow in an uncommon application (LightSpeed). When I have the application open, I'd like to create a hotkey or voice command that navigates:

Hi Ragnar,

I'm not familiar with the app (and can't promise what you're looking for is possible) but could you please provide a link to the right LightSpeed app? There seem to be quite a few very different ones out there.

The first step will be to see whether the app in question offers any kind of AppleScript support (which then allows you to tell the app what to do) 

Cheers,

Vero

Can you create scripts that select certain menu choices within an application, regardless of if that app supports applescript?

Technically yes, but only to an extent and it’s a huge pain.

Part of the reason all the youtube videos suck is that AppleScript itself sucks. It can only do basic stuff and makes you do so in a convoluted way that doesn’t translate well to most other languages. Simply put, most people don’t waste time trying to be proficient with it, because it isn’t worth it. You use it for what’s absolutely necessary and get out as fast as you can.

This isn’t really the full answer to your question, but I strongly advise you to ignore AppleScript when starting out. Resources are few and its power is small. Learn another language first, and then it’ll be easier. Start by learning your shell, bash as it’s kind of a “glue” that can stick together many other apps. You can do real useful things with your files faster, and it will teach you some important concepts.