can't search for files containing dots in there names

depressiveRobot

Description
========

When searching for files containing dots in there names, the part after the first dot is not matched.

Steps to Produce/Reproduce
---------------------------------

Consider the following file name: prefix-foo.suffix_bar.extension

When searching for 'prefix' or 'foo' the file will be shown by Alfred. But if I enter 'suffix' or 'bar' the file is not shown.

Expected Results

--------------------

The file is shown as match when I enter 'bar'.

Workarounds
---------------

When I enter '*bar', the file is shown.

Other Information
--------------------

Alfred version: v2.8.2 (432)

OS X version: 10.11.3

• 2 weeks later...

Description

========

I've picked a png file and named it exactly what you'd named yours (except for .extension as it was already a .png) and have no issues searching for the file by "prefix", "foo", "suffix" or "bar". What file type were you searching for and where/how?

It may be an issue with that specific file rather than anything to do with the particular naming. Are you able to replicate the issue with other files?

Cheers,

Vero

• 3 months later...

Here is the exact problematic filename: `eccenca-DataPlatform-v6.0.0-pre-76-g349dd38-SystemManual.txt`

I can search for everything before `v6`, for terms after it I need to prepend an asterisk. Spotlight finds it without problems.

I've experimented using your exact file name, and it seems that Alfred and Spotlight behave in the same way:

1. File name exactly as you provided: "eccenca-DataPlatform-v6.0.0-pre-76-g349dd38-SystemManual.txt"

Alfred and Spotlight use the same word boundaries and find the file in the same situations:

- "eccenca" and "DataPlatform" find the file

- "pre-76" and "SystemManual" do not

2. File name where dashes are replaced by spaces: "eccenca DataPlatform v6.0.0 pre 76 g349dd38 SystemManual.txt"

Alfred and Spotlight both use spaces as word boundaries, finding the file based on any of the words.

This confirms that neither Alfred or Spotlight are affected by the dots in the file name; Rather, dashes aren't treated as word boundaries. Using the asterisk adds a wildcard to the search term, allowing it to ignore the word boundaries.

Cheers,

Vero

• 4 weeks later...