Searchio! Auto-suggestion from search engines in different languages

23 hours ago, deanishe said:

I've pushed an updated version to the develop branch with GOOGLE_PLACES_LOCATION and GOOGLE_PLACES_RADIUS options in the workflow configuration sheet. You must set both for it to work, and the location must be in decimal format, e.g. 51.450833,7.013056, and the radius is in metres.

Hey deanishe, I have built the workflow from the source folder, as the binary file was not updated by you in GitHub, and can't see these options in the configuration sheet.

Edited by xilopaint

Right. I thought you were talking about the UID.

You're right. The language codes are wrong, and I'm certain there are more such errors.

I will fix them eventually, but as noted, I haven't nailed down the format yet, so I'm not going to spend a few hours checking language vs country codes when it's likely that I might be redoing the whole lot anyway. 

7 hours ago, deanishe said:

In that vein: do you know a search phrase I can use to check whether I'm getting Brazilian results vs Portuguese ones?

I can hardly tell Portuguese from Spanish, let alone the difference between dialects. 

Can it be a word? If you try canalizador you will have mostly plumber related videos in pt-PT results and mostly random results in pt-BR.

If you type the letter v, PT-pt results will display a hip hop Portuguese singer in the first result:

r8sRXRl.png

But not in pt-BR in which a trending Brazilian song (a terrible one) is displayed in first place:

RphHNw0.png

Edited by xilopaint

Yes it does. Btw, it's a case in which the translation was made literally. In most cases the "translation" for the Brazilian market gives some really stupid titles to the movies.

"The Hangover", for example, was translated as "If you drink, don't get marry".

"Lost in Translation" was translated as something like "Matches and Mismatches" (the idiot was literally lost in translation).

They have to "translate" even a title that is a character's name like "Annie Hall", "translated" in Brazil as "Neurotic fiance, nervous bride".

A ~tech related~ case is "Fear Dot Com", translated to Brazil as "Fear Dot Com Br" (yes, as it were not enough ridiculous adding the "Br", the genius forgot to include one more "Dot" to make "Dot Com Dot Br").

So I think you don't have much to complain about the English movie titles. lol

Edited by xilopaint
17 hours ago, xilopaint said:

A ~tech related~ case is "Fear Dot Com", translated to Brazil as "Fear Dot Com Br" (yes, as it were not enough ridiculous adding the "Br", the genius forgot to include one more "Dot" to make "Dot Com Dot Br").

Haha!

The Germans do that a lot, too. Almost none of them realise Mission: Impossible is based on a TV show, 'cos it was called "Take over, Cobra" here. And, there are about ten shows called "<name of main character> für alle Fälle". What a creative bunch they are.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, xilopaint said:

I'm having issues with Google engines and Amazon

Thanks. I'd already fixed Google, but I wondered how many other engines might be affected. Turns out Amazon is also fixed.

The code in the repo has eliminated this bug but I haven't built a new release yet.

Also, I've fixed your Brazilian vs Portuguese thing with YouTube (as far as it can be fixed).

Edited by deanishe
  • 4 months later...

Looks like Google Maps now requires a API.  Is there a way to add an API to the workflow?

12:57:19 search.go:181: querying "Google Maps (English)" for "sprat " ...

12:57:19 search.go:133: response={

"error_message" : "This service requires an API key.",

"predictions" : [],

"status" : "REQUEST_DENIED"

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to encourage you to officially support Amazon Smile searches, deanishe. I love using Searchio for Amazon searches, but 3 out of 4 times I forgot to switch to the Smile version of the product page before placing the order, so for most orders, the charity of my choice did not receive any money, which is not great.

It took me a bit to figure out how to manually add Smile support by changing the right json file. I first tried editing "./Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.9B99D5C0-6A24-4093-99C6-88AE3F131D9C/lib/searchio/engines/amazon.json", but that did not have any effect.

Here is what you need to do to make the Amazon searches for your country yield the smile versions of the product pages (in Searchio v2.0.0-rc1):

- Create the Amazon search for your country from within Searchio

- Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Workflow Data/net.deanishe.alfred-searchio/searches/ and open the amazon json file with your country code in a text editor (e.g., BBEdit)

- Now change the "www" in the "search_url" parameter to "smile" (so that the whole line looks something like: "search_url": "https://smile.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords={query}"), and then save the file

I hope this helps others who come to this thread looking for a way to make Searchio do Smile searches. And again, if you could officially support Smile searches, deanishe, that would be awesome, because having to manually edit a json file might be a bit too much for novice users.

Edited by Blake
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, xilopaint said:

Any news here?

Umm, it looks like something I've fixed but haven't released:

image.png.0e27cf4d6cd6b1e9f4e9f67a3ff69cbd.png

If you can build the workflow from the develop branch, it should work as expected.

Beyond that, I'll try to release a new RC at the weekend. There are a few fixes/enhancements in develop and Niki has started posting duplicates of his own issues on the Searchio! repo.