Alfred freeze when opening

schricka

• What you were doing when the issue happened

Hitting my default "open Alfred" keystroke, which is alt+space. Than Alfred freeze, can't imput anything. I can click arround but can't get away teh focus from Alfred (always on to) also i can't type in other applications like Terminal. After a while 1-2minutes Alfred capture all my typing an try to find something.

• Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action

its appears in "random" (yet unknow) circumstances

• Include any screenshots that might help us

You just see the Alfred Prompt

• Include the Alfred version & build number you are using

v2.8.3 (435)

• Include your OS X version

10.113 (15D21)

A few questions...

1. Have you restarted your Mac recently? Try restarting and see if it continues to happen.

2. Does it happen every time you use Alfred or only occasionally? Is your Mac under heavy load when it happens?

3. I can see you've been using Alfred for many years, how long has this issue been going on? Has anything significant changed on your Mac (new apps installed, OS upgrade, etc) at the time you started encountering this issue?

Next time you see the issue, open Activity Monitor, choose Alfred in the Processes and click the cog at the top to choose "Sample Process". Send us the results or paste them here so we can take a look.

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero

1) yes i restart my mac. It appears since the last Update, once or more times a day (with or without restarting the mac on this day doesnt have an effect.

2) occasionally. No my Mac is not under heavy load, the Load Avg: 0.48

3) no nothing updated or installed new, i make all updates from Apple "1Week later" - i think the problem start after teh last Alfred update.

i try to open "Activity Monitor" next time

I'm having the same issue. It gets stuck the first time i try using it after logging in. It will eventually allow me to type. After that first time it seems to work without issue.

Have you had a look at the questions I posted for the previous user? There's no reason Alfred should lag, so it's worth looking at those points, as they might easily allow you to resolve the issue :)

Cheers,

Vero

i happend again, but im not able to open the "Activity Monitor" while Alfred freezing, the whole system ist not responding. After a while Alfred release the freeze and all is fine again. Nothing is logged in any logfile...

And as with the above...

1. Have you restarted your Mac recently? Try restarting and see if it continues to happen.

2. Does it happen every time you use Alfred or only occasionally? Is your Mac under heavy load when it happens?
3. I can see you've been using Alfred for many years, how long has this issue been going on? Has anything significant changed on your Mac (new apps installed, OS upgrade, etc) at the time you started encountering this issue?

And finally, 4. Have you added any external volumes in your default search scope in Features > Default Results? If so, try removing them temporarily to see if that's causing the issue.

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero, i already did answer your question 1-3

1) Seriously? i hate IT Crowd Support.

My post start at 06.04.2016 now it's 12.04.2016, what do you think, do i restart within 6 days? YES I DO!!!

2) see my last answer

3) see my last answer

4) no

My post start at 06.04.2016 now it's 12.04.2016, what do you think, do i restart within 6 days? YES I DO!!!

2) see my last answer

3) see my last answer

4) no

First of all showing some respect would be nice. Vero just wants to help you like other people here.

To Question number 1, a lot of people including me set there mac to sleep when they go to bed or leave a place...i restarted my mac yesterday after 10 days...

Thats why she was asking. Every User is different and no one can read your mind.

Did you check your Console.app when you're talking about logs?

I had a problem of complete system freezing and multiple times of crashing due to my own faults before.

I deactivate Swap and therefore when the Memory was full, the system had to compress or most likely die when it couldn't kill a process.

That kept happening for me as i use Parallels Desktop, which is not a good idea to start when you have 2GB Ram free and it uses at least 4....

I had this Problem for quite a while till i remembered that i deactivated Swap. After reactivating, i never had a problem again. 

I'm having the same issue. It gets stuck the first time i try using it after logging in. It will eventually allow me to type. After that first time it seems to work without issue.

What Programs are starting with Alfred ?

Have your tried switching to a new User on your Mac and does the Problem still persist ?

Edited by FroZen_X

2) see my last answer

3) see my last answer

4) no

First - apologies - I misread your username and I thought I was responding to sk810, who was the last person to ask the same question and has the same grey default icon. It wasn't my intention to ask the same questions a second time.

With regards to restarting, it's quite common for users to sleep their Mac or shut the lid and not restart for weeks. OS X can occasionally get itself into a muddle during that time, and restarting magically fixes it. As such, it's a perfectly fair question to ask.

It's extremely unusual for Alfred to freeze in any way, and without further details about your specific Mac setup, it's very difficult for me to help you. Have you tried what Frozen_X suggests? I would recommend temporarily creating a new user account on your Mac and seeing if you encounter the issue there as well - This will help establish whether the issue is caused by an app running in your primary profile, or a broader issue on your Mac.

Cheers,

Vero

i already tried all those things, even reinstalling the app (and used an app cleaner to fully uninstall it). Running a new maxed out MacPro, so perforce is not even an issue. this only started in the last few weeks, maybe after the last Alfred update.

i already tried all those things, even reinstalling the app (and used an app cleaner to fully uninstall it). Running a new maxed out MacPro, so perforce is not even an issue. this only started in the last few weeks, maybe after the last Alfred update.

Other thing to test that comes in mind would be to do a testing of login and log out several times checking the Console.app for any signs. In addition to that exclude any other app that is starting at this process so 

that Alfred is the only app that starts. 

Then i would test to start Spotlight the same way you start Alfred directly after log in. If this lags too then it wouldn't be Alfred's fault.

Other than that it's really hard to help, as i cannot reproduce this issue. I only get "lags" when my machine is under real heavy load, but then everything does and that's normal (using a mid 2014 Macbook Pro).

Last option would be a clean install. How far back did you upgrade ? I remember that i upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite which wasn't such a good experience yet but then went further to El Capitan Beta until 

the Final release came. I had some issues on the final El Capitan which got fixed by doing a clean install.

Edited by FroZen_X

Even with new user the Problem exist.

We're looking into this and have raised a couple of issues with Apple directly, as Finder is crashing in the latest version of OS X. This will have a roll-on effect for other apps, including Alfred.

We'll update this thread when we have further news, but hopefully Apple will resolve the Finder issues in the next update.

Cheers,

Vero

• 2 weeks later...