I used to be able to find Photoshop by just typing 'shop', now it doesn't work anymore

Hello,

As per the subject line, partial matching doesn’t seem to work anymore for me in Alfred 2 and El Capitan. Is there any setting or tweak I can apply, or custom keyword to add to specific apps, to make it work again? Thank you.

Hello,

As per the subject line, partial matching doesn’t seem to work anymore for me in Alfred 2 and El Capitan. Is there any setting or tweak I can apply, or custom keyword to add to specific apps, to make it work again? Thank you.

Pop up the "Get info" panel for Photoshop and add a Spotlight comment for "shop", which will allow Alfred and other apps to find it based on that keyword:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/file-search/tagging-files/#spotlight

Cheers, :)

Vero

Aaaand… it's not working. I tried both shop and alfred:shop, and clearing Alfred's cache, but no result. Any ideas? I wonder if it's because Photoshop is in its own Adobe folder rather than in Applications but that shouldn't really make a difference once a comment is attached to it, I think. :(

I tried it with a app in a folder in the application folder and it works like this here:

2lnjwcy.png

Unlock it(via the lock at the bottom right) and write something into "Comments" and close it again. After that you can just search with Alfred :)

Edited by FroZen_X

Thank you for this, but it still doesn't work. Tried clearing Alfred's cache, quitting it, reopening it, nothing. The only thing that works is the alfred:ignore command, after which I have to clear Alfred's cache before it works, but custom keyboards in the Comments field are just not picked up by Alfred at all.

Thank you for this, but it still doesn't work. Tried clearing Alfred's cache, quitting it, reopening it, nothing. The only thing that works is the alfred:ignore command, after which I have to clear Alfred's cache before it works, but custom keyboards in the Comments field are just not picked up by Alfred at all.

OS X may be having issues with the comments. You can check whether it's properly registered by doing an mdls on the file:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/indexing/mdls/

For example, I added a keyword "boombox" to a photo, and in the mdls I can see the following line:

kMDItemFinderComment           = "boombox"

Take a look and see if this has been applied, as this is the OS X metadata Alfred will use to locate apps and files using the Spotlight Comment you've used. Sometimes unsetting and re-setting the keyword can help OS X, but unfortunately, that's out of Alfred's control.

If that still doesn't work, you can also create a simple workflow connecting a keyword to a "Launch Apps/Files" object :)

Hope this helps!