Typeface options

I was very excited to be able to choose another typeface in Alfred 2, because of my deeply felt hatred of Helvetica. I had it all planned out: Avenir Medium. It was going to be a thing of beauty. I upgraded my powerpack license, thoughts of beautiful type circling in my head... I punched in my activation code, and... Chalkboard? Marker Felt? Impact? Surely jokes... but no way to set Avenir to be my typeface of choice? Truely, my heart crumpled. I beseech you: please grant me Avenir.

TL;DR: I want to be able to choose Avenir as my theme's typeface. Choosing any font would be my preferred, but just Avenir would be alright as well.

+1!

I was pretty disappointed to be limited to a set of generic system fonts, because I've got a lot of fonts installed and there are some others I'd really like to use. (I fully realize that using nonstandard fonts would make a theme less shareable, but that shouldn't limit what people can do on their own computers!)

I tried to get clever by exporting my theme and then editing the plist contents in a text editor; it's easy to see where the font settings are, but if I change the font name to anything but one of the available ones, it just reverts to Helvetica when I re-import the edited file. :-(

• 1 month later...

+1

I too tried editing the font section of the theme and got Helvetica. Strangely if one of the default fonts is disabled, it doesn't default or warn, just doesn't accept any input

You shouldn't be disabling fonts anyway, not the best of ideas, i've done it.

You shouldn't be disabling fonts anyway, not the best of ideas, i've done it.

What? Actually it is not only a good idea but necessary for people who (like me) do a lot of cartography and design work and have literally tens of thousands of fonts that I need access to on occasion. Having them all enabled all the time is a needless slowdown on my system. When troubleshooting printing problems fonts can also be troublesome so knowing how to safely disable and re-enable fonts is something every use should know how to do. The only danger of disabling fonts is if you muck about in the font directories and move and/or throw away the font files. 

Alfred just needs a warning to reenable a font it needs and/or the ability to fallback to a default font in the meantime.

What? Actually it is not only a good idea but necessary for people who (like me) do a lot of cartography and design work and have literally tens of thousands of fonts that I need access to on occasion. Having them all enabled all the time is a needless slowdown on my system. When troubleshooting printing problems fonts can also be troublesome so knowing how to safely disable and re-enable fonts is something every use should know how to do. The only danger of disabling fonts is if you muck about in the font directories and move and/or throw away the font files. 

Alfred just needs a warning to reenable a font it needs and/or the ability to fallback to a default font in the meantime.

My bad, didn't know, sorry!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Avenir, Avenir Next and Avenir Next Condensed (along with Helvetica Neue and Helvetica Neue Light) are being added to Alfred 2.4, falling back to Helvetica for older version of OS X or if these font's aren't installed.

User defined fonts are coming in the future when I overhaul Alfred's theming system :)

Hmm, Avenir may have to wait as it hasn't been a simple case of adding the font to the list. The baseline is oddly low in an NSTextField vs other fonts which means the descender is cropped. I should be able to work around this, but this will take lower priority vs Alfred Remote which I'm currently working on!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Would be interested in hearing about this too. I’m using Jens Kutilek’s system font version of Fira Sans as my system font, and Alfred now sticks out like a sore thumb… I understand portability is an issue for arbitrary fonts in themes, but could we get an option to use the system font no matter what, maybe?

Edited by kopischke

• 2 months later...

Any breaking news:)? Still looking forward to this. 

Btw. I just noticed how easy you made theming for alfred, respect for this nice approach! Never seen this anywhere like this but I really like it. Now please add a custom font option and I'm happy:)

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I want this too. It really bothers me a lot that I'm forced to use Helvetica/Lucida Grande/Menlo. Why allow us to make extensive custom themes if we just cannot simply adjust a font? If cutted/invisible descenders are a problem, then why not add a special 'only UPPERCASE mode' for when a custom font is selected? Please add an experimental option for the people who really want it, even if it's buggy at first (add a manual 'line-height slider' or something). 

I'm starting to regret my purchase, 24 euro is a lot of money for something that cannot change it's typeface to something else... Sorry for sounding spoiled or negative, it just disappoints me :( (by the way: if you add the new 'San Francisco' font from Apple when it is released, or the new Roboto from Google, then most people would be happy I think)

ps: i wanted to use 'Netto' from Daniel Utz

I intend to completely overhaul the theming system in a future release which will include arbitrary font support and much more control in general.

It's unlikely I'll be changing the font setup before this point as it's not a trivial change, with many things to be considered (weird spacing / descenders on some fonts, exporting and sharing).

Having said that, the SF font will be available in the next release.

Cheers,

Andrew