Searching using path

Hi there,

Is there a way in Alfred to search using path information?  For example, if I want to find this file

/Documents/Papers/MedievalBasketWeaving/NinnyNumnuts_2009.pdf

I'd like to search using things like "Medieval Ninny" or "Basket 2009".

This is how "goto anything" seems to work in Sublimetext, and I find it pretty useful.

Thanks for any help and hope I didn't overlook something already in the forum

- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Is there a way in Alfred to search using path information?  For example, if I want to find this file

/Documents/Papers/MedievalBasketWeaving/NinnyNumnuts_2009.pdf

I'd like to search using things like "Medieval Ninny" or "Basket 2009".

This is how "goto anything" seems to work in Sublimetext, and I find it pretty useful.

Thanks for any help and hope I didn't overlook something already in the forum

- Jeff

This doesn't work from what i know. What does work is for instance "Ninny*2009" which would provide you the file.

Thanks very much!   But no way to use the _path information_ as part of the search?  E.g. "Papers" or "Medieval"?

Fuzzy matching only exists for File and Foldernames yet. Here is a workflow that works the way you want: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/4042-fuzzy-folders/

If you're under Alfred 3, you have to go to the workflow folder and open "ff.py", replace "Alfred 2" with "Alfred 3" to make it work.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by FroZen_X

Fuzzy matching only exists for File and Foldernames yet. Here is a workflow that works the way you want: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/4042-fuzzy-folders/

If you're under Alfred 3, you have to go to the workflow folder and open "ff.py", replace "Alfred 2" with "Alfred 3" to make it work.

Hope that helps :)

Does that actually make it work on Alfred 3? I figured that one would need a lot of work because it messes around with its own info.plist a lot.

I haven't really got round to updating my workflows for Alfred 3 yet. I'm still digesting the new features and what I can do with them, and pondering how to alter the self-updating mechanism to prevent workflows running under Alfred 2 to update to Alfred-3-only versions.

Does that actually make it work on Alfred 3? I figured that one would need a lot of work because it messes around with its own info.plist a lot.

I haven't really got round to updating my workflows for Alfred 3 yet. I'm still digesting the new features and what I can do with them, and pondering how to alter the self-updating mechanism to prevent workflows running under Alfred 2 to update to Alfred-3-only versions.

I just tested it, you also have to change the "workflow.py". There is another "Alfred 2" that has to be changed to "Alfred 3".

I'm on the way atm, but ill post a pic later :)

Thanks! I've installed it and updated ff.py, and I am working on figuring it out now. 

To check the help use "fzyhelp". And like i said change "workflow.py" too, forgot that :/

Edited by FroZen_X

If you update to the b655 pre-release from Alfred's update prefs and install the "Dynamic File Search" workflow example from the workflow prefs + button, this is a pretty simple example of how you could build a dynamic search.

This example is only one level deep, but with keyword "ff" you'll be able to first search for "Medieval", then press enter on the folder, then search for the file by typing "Ninny"

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Andrew