Hatticus24

Import TextExpander snippets into Alfred v3

This should help you to get started with it: https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/installing-node

Here is Node.js: https://nodejs.org/en/

After that download the zip from github and unzip it in your downloads folder.

Now you should have a folder named "textexpander-to-alfred3-master" in your downloads folder.

Open Terminal → Type "cd Downloads" and press "Enter" to get into your downloads folder → then "cd textexpander-to-alfred3-master" press "Enter"

to get into the folder of the textexpander converter.

After that type "sudo npm install -g textexpander-to-alfred3" → you will have to type in your password (it won't show any signs or stars, so don't wonder)

Type in your password and press enter. It should run your command and give you something like this:

/usr/local/bin/textexpander-to-alfred3 -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/textexpander-to-alfred3/textexpander-to-alfred3.js
/usr/local/bin/te2a3 -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/textexpander-to-alfred3/textexpander-to-alfred3.js
/usr/local/lib
└── textexpander-to-alfred3@0.0.3 

After that you're almost done. Export groups from TextExpander and copy pasta them into the folder "textexpander-to-alfred3-master".

As you're still in that folder via Terminal you just have to type in something like "textexpander-to-alfred3 Signatures.textexpander" depending on your exported filename. It will create a file for Alfred that you can double click and you're done :)

Hope that helps ^^

Edited by FroZen_X

Anyone know how to get this type of script from TextExpander working in Alfred 3 snippets?

%filltext:name=test%

+1 for this, if anyone knows how to do it?

Anyone know how to get this type of script from TextExpander working in Alfred 3 snippets?

%filltext:name=test%

You can't.

Currently, Alfred can do dates and times and insert the clipboard, but no other dynamic values are supported in snippets. You can't even place the cursor yet.

On 19/05/2016 at 9:19 PM, danieldiekmeier said:

Hey Guys! I am the creator of the script, and I just released it as a web app, so people not familiar with Node should have no problem converting their files: http://alfred.danieldiekmeier.de/

Thanks for your interest! <3

After receiving an email from Frown-on-my-mac this morning, and realising textexpander was disabled. I was a bit stunned. Fortunately this thread and Daniel's web app (URL in his thread above) for converting my multitude of textexpander shortcuts to Alfred snippets - solved it - and worked a treat. First time,  I lost all my folders, however by quickly re-outputting them all from inside textexpander I was able to maintain folder structure as well. Brilliant thank you.

Hi there, 

as a user of Typinator - is there a similar tool to import existing Typinator lists (file.tyset) to Alfred snippets?

Or - perhaps more simple - to import csv-files or txt-files to a new snippet collection?

Best regards,

StDt

On 2016-05-19 at 4:19 PM, danieldiekmeier said:

Hey Guys! I am the creator of the script, and I just released it as a web app, so people not familiar with Node should have no problem converting their files: http://alfred.danieldiekmeier.de/

Thanks for your interest! <3

I'm looking into Alfred as a replacement for Textexpander which renewed my subscription without warning. I tried your script however, the file format for exporting textexpander is (now or is there another way to export from textexpander than what they provide?) .csv rather than .textexpander and the web app doesn't work.

@clancularius Welcome to the forum! Could you please fill in your Powerpack email address in your forum profile?  This is only visible to admins (Andrew and I) and allows us to confirm your Powerpack user status. :)

Cheers,
Vero

1 minute ago, Vero said:

@clancularius Welcome to the forum! Could you please fill in your Powerpack email address in your forum profile?  This is only visible to admins (Andrew and I) and allows us to confirm your Powerpack user status. :)

Cheers,
Vero

I haven't purchased anything yet so I don't know that I have a "Powerpack email address". I'm trying to learn whether the snippet features found in Alfred compare well enough to make that purchase and how difficult it might be to transfer existing textexpander snippets over.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2016 at 3:19 PM, danieldiekmeier said:

Thanks for your interest! ❤️

I'm a little late to the party, but this is no longer working. I tried installing the script via npm; that also did not working. I tried installing the script directly, and then running it, but apparently I was missing some dependencies.

Edited by adamrice