On 11/17/2020 at 1:38 PM, hugobert said:

After installing Big Sur the iMessage workflow I used since 2013 broke, so I started looking for an alternative workflow.

This one looks promising, but sadly its not working with Big Sur.

If I type im or sms and the phone number it works fine but with im or sms and the contact name it opens the messages app and starts a new message to an unspecified contact.

Would love to get this one working.

So, I have been maintaining this workflow for a few years now in a forked branch from the main repo. This year I have just started a new workflow based on the previous one. 

I just finished this today, so let me know if you encounter any issues. It's working fine for me on Big Sur. 

On 11/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, gcagora said:

Interesting....It seems to be working okay for me on Big Sur. I, too, had been using a different workflow "iMessage to Friend" multiple times a day for years and years. It doesn't work with Big Sur, unfortunately.

The biggest difference with this one, is that before I could literally type my message in the Alfred pop up window. This workflow, while great, only seems to open up the contact I type in Messages. I then have to have exit out of the Alfred window to begin typing my message. Is there a way to actually type the message in the initial window?

I read your comment a few days back, and it inspired me to add this feature in along with some other changes.

I am posting the link to Workflow on Github while I wait for the Packal submission to finish. 

Call or Message Contact

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 3:05 AM, emckillen said:

Dying for this work! Been wanting this for some time...

But, as it is now, "TEL" and "CALL" just opens Facetime (only exception is when when I call myself - that works)

Same for "MSG"

Me too, it only open Facetime or imess, i can't call [name], when i searching call name (name not appear)

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this out on Monterey today and works like a charm 👍. Note: I had to use Fixum once I downloaded it to make it work though. 

Question:

@amoose136 & greater Alfred community, it looks like this workflow & Alfred 4 are using Python 2, and should be updated to use Python 3 soon as they will become obsolite?

On 1/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Le Tien said:

Me too, it only open Facetime or imess, i can't call [name], when i searching call name (name not appear)

Yea I had this problem too. I was able to fix it by allowing Alfred access to my contacts in the security settings. Does this fix it for you?

10 hours ago, leland said:

it looks like this workflow & Alfred 4 are using Python 2, and should be updated to use Python 3 soon as they will become obsolite?

Regarding the Python 2 deprecation, see the knowledge base article and Making Python 2 Workflows work on macOS Monterey 12.3 and above.

Regarding this specific Workflow, it won’t be updated. The author has officially deprecated it over a year ago and recommends Call or Message Contact instead. That Workflow uses AppleScript throughout, so it won’t be affected by the Python deprecation.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Fabio said:

Hi,

Any new workflow to make FaceTime with Alfred?

You don't necessarily need a workflow for FaceTime. You can add a custom action in Features > Contacts, so that when you open a Contacts card for a friend, you can set the default or alternative action to be as follows:

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 13.32.21.png

You can then search for your friend's name in Alfred, open their contact card, choose the email address (or phone number if that's what you have set up, you'd just need another custom action for that) and use your combo (in my case Cmd + Return) to launch Facetime.

You'll still need to click the green button to start the call but it's still very quick :)

Cheers,
Vero

• 7 months later...

Thanks @Vero. One thing of note that the workflow does is allow you to call any number by typing for example "call 18004444444" instead of only your contacts. I use this all the time with Handoff at my Mac to never have to pickup my iPhone to call my contacts but also any number, as well as answering incoming calls.

I've tested on macOS 13 Ventura and the workflow still functions. However, the FaceTime app opens in the foreground and starts the camera (just like the native Alfred call function does). In Big Sur, it did not do this. It would just leave the FaceTime app in the background and not turn on the camera.

Edited by petebocken

Hi. I have used this workflow for a long time and it worked perfectly in Alfred 5 / MacOS Monterey.

Now I have updated to Macos Ventura, and now the "call [contact name]" doesn't work. I tried 'resetting' all of Alfreds Permissions. The workflow shows names of my contacts, but when I select one it just opens Facetime and then nothing else.

The workflow works fine if i use "call [Number]".

I'm using Alfred 5.0.4 on MacOS Ventura 13.0. And this is the version of the workflow: https://github.com/c-stephens/Call-or-Message-Contact

Edited by Joachim
21 hours ago, Joachim said:

Hi. I have used this workflow for a long time and it worked perfectly in Alfred 5 / MacOS Monterey.

Now I have updated to Macos Ventura, and now the "call [contact name]" doesn't work. I tried 'resetting' all of Alfreds Permissions. The workflow shows names of my contacts, but when I select one it just opens Facetime and then nothing else.

The workflow works fine if i use "call [Number]".

I'm using Alfred 5.0.4 on MacOS Ventura 13.0. And this is the version of the workflow: https://github.com/c-stephens/Call-or-Message-Contact

Same here. The debugger output the following messages.

[01:24:44.503] ERROR: Call or SMS contact[Run NSAppleScript] {
    NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Contacts;
    NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Contacts.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Contacts.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = "-1743";
    NSAppleScriptErrorRange = "NSRange: {262, 5}";
}

It seems that the applescript that extracts the phone number does not work anymore.

Does anyone knows how to fix it? Thanks!

on alfred_script(q)

if application "Contacts" is not running then
    do shell script "open -j -a 'Contacts.app'"
end if

tell application "Contacts"
 set q to text ((offset of "Metadata/" in q)+9) thru ((offset of "." in q)-1) of q
 set phonenumber to value of phone of person id q  set phonenumber to item 1 of phonenumber
end tell

tell application "Contacts" to quit

return phonenumber
end alfred_script

query="{query}"

phone_num=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Print:Phone' "$query" | grep -o -m 1 '^[[:space:]]*\(+\?[[:digit:][:space:]-]\+\)[:space:]\?$')

echo -n $phone_num

I have temporarily fixed the problem by replacing the appleScript to extract a phone number with the above bash script.

Hope this helps :)

Reference: https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/19240-search-and-pass-contacts-phone-number/

Edited by pdy
15 hours ago, pdy said:
query="{query}"

phone_num=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Print:Phone' "$query" | grep -o -m 1 '^[[:space:]]*\(+\?[[:digit:][:space:]-]\+\)[:space:]\?$')

echo -n $phone_num

I have temporarily fixed the problem by replacing the appleScript to extract a phone number with the above bash script.

Hope this helps :)

Reference: https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/19240-search-and-pass-contacts-phone-number/

Which does this script go?