Some Alfred snippets unintentionally trigger "Create snippet" in Slack

I have a few Slack snippets set up to automatically expand when I type the keyword.

Screenshot%202016-06-09%2011.06.50.png

I like to use these shortcuts in Slack, however some of these trigger the "New snippet" dialog box in Slack, and others do not.

For instance, the "-->" shortcut will trigger the "New snippet" box, but not the "<--" shortcut. See this screen capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p683hcb371090z/alfred-slack-01.mov?dl=0

The "" shortcut also triggers it.

The Slack documentation says the keyboard shortcut for "New snippet" is CMD + ENTER (on Mac). Could Alfred be triggering this through a hidden keyboard command?

I'm using Alfred 3.1 (build 671) on Mac OS X 10.11.5. Slack version is 2.0.2.

Edited by astanush
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a few Slack snippets set up to automatically expand when I type the keyword.

Launch Alfred's Prefs to the Snippets tab and click the cog in the top right. There you'll be able to add Slack to the list of apps in which Alfred doesn't expand. If I understand correctly, Slack have their own expansion as well, resulting in a conflict when both Alfred and Slack try to expand a shortcut. :)

Cheers,

Vero

This doesn't really solve my problem, since Slack is definitely one of the apps where I want my Alfred snippets to auto-expand. However, I didn't think about how Slack might have it's own expansions.

It turns out Slack doesn't, but OS X does include some by default, like "Smart quotes" and "Smart dashes". See this tweet:  https://twitter.com/slackhq/status/588839335748837376

CCv6QVdUgAAqBX1.png

"Smart dashes" turns two dashes (--) into an en dash (–), which my arrow shortcut does include. I tried turning "Smart dashes" off, but I still get the "Create snippet" Slack dialog when I try to use my Alfred snippet.

The hunt continues, but I feel like we're getting closer.

Edited by astanush