How do I access Preferences now?

In Alfred 2, a small gear appeared in the top right corner of the pop up window that would open Alfred Preferences.

The gear is gone in Alfred 3. I’ve never heard of (or used) Command + to open an app's preferences, but following those directions on another post here, I tried it. Failed again.

How do I access Alfred Preferences in version 3?

In Alfred 2, a small gear appeared in the top right corner of the pop up window that would open Alfred Preferences.

The gear is gone in Alfred 3. I’ve never heard of (or used) Command + to open an app's preferences, but following those directions on another post here, I tried it. Failed again.

Every app on OS/X uses the shortcut ⌘, (command-comma) to open the app's preferences.

There are a few different ways to access preferences:

1. In Alfred's search box
Type "preferences" into Alfred's search box to launch the preferences.

2. From the OS X menu bar
Click on the bowler hat icon in the OS X menu bar in the top right and select "Preferences..."

3. Using the Preferences shortcut
Show Alfred's search box and use Cmd + , (comma) which is the universal OS X hotkey for an app's preferences.

4. Use Alfred Remote
In Alfred Remote, add Alfred Preferences from the + as a button to launch it with a touch.

Whether you prefer to click, type, use a hotkey or touch the screen, there are ways to access Alfred Preferences for everyone! :)

There are a few different ways to access preferences:

1. In Alfred's search box
Type "preferences" into Alfred's search box to launch the preferences.

2. From the OS X menu bar
Click on the bowler hat icon in the OS X menu bar in the top right and select "Preferences..."

3. Using the Preferences shortcut
Show Alfred's search box and use Cmd + , (comma) which is the universal OS X hotkey for an app's preferences.

4. Use Alfred Remote
In Alfred Remote, add Alfred Preferences from the + as a button to launch it with a touch.

Whether you prefer to click, type, use a hotkey or touch the screen, there are ways to access Alfred Preferences for everyone! :)

Thanks, @Vero. I didn't catch the comma in the hotkey combination (seen in another post).

Really miss the gear, but...guess I'll need to memorize (yet another) hot key combo, since my menu bar is already too crowded. 

Thanks, @Vero. I didn't catch the comma in the hotkey combination (seen in another post).

Really miss the gear, but...guess I'll need to memorize (yet another) hot key combo, since my menu bar is already too crowded. 

You can just pop up Alfred and type "preferences" so there's no hotkey combo to remember. Having said that Cmd + comma is a global OS X one useful in every application, so worth remembering :)

Cheers,

Vero
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up switching back to Alfred 2 to get the gear back. I check the 3 changelog, always disappointed :(

I ended up switching back to Alfred 2 to get the gear back. I check the 3 changelog, always disappointed :(

I guess you dont see whats behind the changes, neither know what work it is....Switching back to Alfred 2 only because of a gear is kinda funny, sorry to say. The potential that Alfred has, is pretty huge, but has to be seen and used. Take a look at this thread: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/9089-unhappy-customer/

Alfred has multiple ways to access prefs atm and you can now like with any other software on a mac use the "Command + ," shortcut.

• 7 months later...

Hey Vero,

I have Alfred v3.3 (build 801) running on OS X 10.12.3 - late 2013 Mac Pro - and everything works as expected EXCEPT when I right-click (Crtl-click) on the bowler (using my Magic Trackpad) the hat flashes when I click but the Preference pane doesn't open.  I can open the preferences using the "command+," method though.  Anything you noticed?

3 hours ago, thinkfilm said:

I have Alfred v3.3 (build 801) running on OS X 10.12.3 - late 2013 Mac Pro - and everything works as expected EXCEPT when I right-click (Crtl-click) on the bowler (using my Magic Trackpad) the hat flashes when I click but the Preference pane doesn't open.  I can open the preferences using the "command+," method though.  Anything you noticed?

Ditto here. Would love to Crtl-click the bowler for Prefs to open. 

• 3 weeks later...