Frustrated with the Powerpack Upgrade Cost

It's frustrating to see the high upgrade cost for powerpack after I recently purchased it. I know Alfred 2 is a complete rewrite, but I would encourage the developers to lower the upgrade cost. I'm stuck now between staying on v1 or not using Powerpack. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for it.

It's frustrating to see the high upgrade cost for powerpack after I recently purchased it. I know Alfred 2 is a complete rewrite, but I would encourage the developers to lower the upgrade cost. I'm stuck now between staying on v1 or not using Powerpack. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for it.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear you're frustrated about Alfred v2's upgrade price. Alfred v1 had been out for 2 1/2 years when we announced v2 in December. We set the price to ensure that users were able to upgrade at an affordable and fair price, and were generous with the grace period for those who had bought most recently (3.5 months up to release).

We aren't funded by some big mega-corp or VC funding, so the Powerpack means that Andrew and I can ensure Alfred will live on and be there for a long time, rather than a flash-in-the-pan application that gets dropped like yesterday's socks because the developers can't sustain its development.

As you mentioned, you can continue to use v1, which is just as good as it was the day you purchased it. Otherwise, if you have concerns about future upgrade, the Mega Supporter is great value as you upgrade once then get a lifetime of free upgrades, and is only £5 more than if you'd chosen the Mega Supporter originally 7 months ago.

Vero, as a Mega Supporter from the earliest days, may I just say that I would much rather you had a business model that meant you could keep working on Alfred and make a good living from it instead of abandoning it or having to sell out to a large corporation.

You guys are awesome and I appreciate your work greatly and you deserve to be rewarded for it.

Remember, folks, if you don’t support independent developers, you won’t have any independent developers. I, for one, am grateful that we have an alternative to the Google Readers, Sparrows, and Adobes and Microsofts of the world.

Keep up the great work!