Reminders

Hi,

I am still getting Reminders staying open and being at 99% CPU. I ran radd something and rshow all and they both worked, but reminders stayed open. radd something was actually a lot faster at creating the event then just 'r' - that normally takes 5 or 10 seconds. So I ran the test, and reminders opened and nothing happened. After a while I quit reminders, and the test finished at the point. As you can see that was after about 3 minutes!

I did it again, and again it didn;t complete until I quit reminders. HEre are the results, and as you can see there is an error in there.

Test results:
OS version: 10.8.3
Current date: Wednesday, 10 April 2013 18:45:03
Initialize workflow path: /Users/steve/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.D1FEB2E5-71B1-455A-AE8C-55EC20AA9793
Initialize alfred-library: OK
Initialize update-library: OK
Initialize wf-library: OK
Reminders.app state: Not running
Fetch reminder count: 493
Fetch reminder info: OK
Fetch reminder list count: 16
Fetch reminder list info: OK
Run cache process: ERROR: /Users/steve/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.D1FEB2E5-71B1-455A-AE8C-55EC20AA9793/cache-reminders.scpt: execution error: Reminders got an error: Connection is invalid. (-609)
Fetch cache timestamp: Monday, 8 April 2013 21:28:03
Fetch cached reminder count: 488
Test basic query: OK
Test today query: OK
Test tomorrow query: OK
Test in n minutes query: OK
Test in n hours query: OK
Test in n days query: OK
Test at time query: OK
Test in x list query: OK
Subtitle generation: OK
Test basic reminder filtering: OK
Test remind today reminder filtering: OK
Test due tomorrow reminder filtering: OK
Test reminder list filtering: OK
Test version-check response: OK
Current unix time: 1.365616074E+9
Simple JSON: OK
Test execution time: 171 seconds

Hi,

I am still getting Reminders staying open and being at 99% CPU. I ran radd something and rshow all and they both worked, but reminders stayed open. radd something was actually a lot faster at creating the event then just 'r' - that normally takes 5 or 10 seconds. So I ran the test, and reminders opened and nothing happened. After a while I quit reminders, and the test finished at the point. As you can see that was after about 3 minutes!

I did it again, and again it didn;t complete until I quit reminders. HEre are the results, and as you can see there is an error in there.

EDIT: It's possible there's another cause for this. Can you try the new version I just uploaded?

Based on your test log, it looks like Reminders is crashing.

This is probably due to the high number (~500?) of incomplete reminders you seem to have, not having a test size that large to work with it's hard to know for sure.

If you think it would be useful to you, I can modify the workflow so that you should at least be able to just use "radd" without it crashing.

Edited by Jack James

EDIT: It's possible there's another cause for this. Can you try the new version I just uploaded?

This is probably due to the high number (~500?) of incomplete reminders you seem to have, not having a test size that large to work with it's hard to know for sure.

If you think it would be useful to you, I can modify the workflow so that you should at least be able to just use "radd" without it crashing.

Yes, that latest version seems to have fixed it! Takes about 20 seconds for reminders to close, but it does close. I tried just 'r' and 'r in 5 mintes...' and both were fine. Thanks so much for sorting it.

Yes, that latest version seems to have fixed it! Takes about 20 seconds for reminders to close, but it does close. I tried just 'r' and 'r in 5 mintes...' and both were fine. Thanks so much for sorting it.

Unfortunately that hasn't quite fixed it yet; you'll find that the process simply timed out after loading 100 reminders, so "r all" will not actually show all the reminders.

However, now I know that it should work I can tweak the parameters a little. Can you try the latest version? This one should allow up to 10,000 or so reminders to be processed, assuming it doesn't crash, of course-- reminders should stay open for no longer than 2 minutes.

Edited by Jack James

Unfortunately that hasn't quite fixed it yet; you'll find that the process simply timed out after loading 100 reminders, so "r all" will not actually show all the reminders.

However, now I know that it should work I can tweak the parameters a little. Can you try the latest version? This one should allow up to 10,000 or so reminders to be processed, assuming it doesn't crash, of course-- reminders should stay open for no longer than 2 minutes.

Yes, that works and took about 1 1/2 minutes to close - all the time at 99% CPU though. To be honest I am not fussed about the 'r all' command, having so many it would be of no use. So I would personally be OK if it did time out after 100.

Yes, that works and took about 1 1/2 minutes to close - all the time at 99% CPU though. To be honest I am not fussed about the 'r all' command, having so many it would be of no use. So I would personally be OK if it did time out after 100.

You'd still need the cache to run successfully even just to be able to search for any existing reminders. The way it works now is that the cache will run every time you update any reminders using the workflow, or manually using the "r refresh", or otherwise if it hasn't been run for 2 hours. There's not much I can do to stop the CPU peaking, that's just how applescript works.

EDIT: The latest version reduces the timeout to 10 seconds or so.

Edited by Jack James

Yeah, tested it with Chrome and Mail.Really nice! 

Vienna (RSS Reader) doesn´t work.

I would love such a workflow for Wunderlist!

Domenic

edit: Yes, just wanted to edit my post that I´ve seen Wunderlist is not scriptable.Thank you for the fast answer! I seriously consider to change to Reminders...This workflow is gold :)

Added support for Vienna. See the latest version.

Awesome idea with set reminder in number of minutes or days. I think it would be more awesome if use both parameters at same time. Like this:

r in 2 days 5 hours to Call Lucy

or

r in 2d5h to Call Lucy

What do you think?

Now that the bugs are gone I feel ok about adding new stuff.

Added "r in x days y hours" and "r in x hours y minutes" patterns to the latest version.

dear jack james,

as a passionate procrastinator, something like this would come in really handy for me :

r tomorrow 11:00 milk the goat

The latest version will allow you to do "r tomorrow at 11:00 to milk the goat".

Tip: due to supporting both 12 and 24 hour clocks, you will get more predictable results when using "11am" instead of  "11:00"

Edited by Jack James

This is great! Can you add support for the WebKit Nightly <http://nightly.webkit.org> for `r this`? It should be identical to Safari.

If the source is up somewhere I can look into making whatever changes are necessary. I didn't see any links to the source though.

Added support for webkit nightly, grab the latest version.

In terms of access to the source, everything should be readily available inside the workflow's bundle (once it's installed). The only other thing that I could do is provide the applescript in text format, but this would be a bit of a headache for me as I'd have to remember to save two copies of everything. The compiled applescript files that are included (*.scpt) *should* be editable by users, do let me know if that's not the case.

One thing I haven't done, which perhaps I could, is to include some rudimentary documentation for the inner workings. I don't know if enough people would be digging around in this to make it worth my time though?

I'm new to Alfred and workflows so if this is a newbie question forgive me.

I installed the R workflow and attempted to create a new reminder by entering "r Call Dr Hurley today at 11am"

Nothing happened.

I run OSx Lion 10.7.5 and have Reminders embedded in iCal - not stand alone app.  I have two Reminders list in iCal, one exchange and one iCloud.  Neither are populating when I run command.  

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks and I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into making all of our lives a bit easier.

I'm new to Alfred and workflows so if this is a newbie question forgive me.

I installed the R workflow and attempted to create a new reminder by entering "r Call Dr Hurley today at 11am"

Nothing happened.

I run OSx Lion 10.7.5 and have Reminders embedded in iCal - not stand alone app.  I have two Reminders list in iCal, one exchange and one iCloud.  Neither are populating when I run command.  

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks and I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into making all of our lives a bit easier.

When you say "nothing happened", did you get a notification in Alfred, below what you were typing, of what was going to happen?

Did you get any messages via growl after pressing enter (if you have growl installed)?

Edit: I think I see what you're saying. This workflow is only for the standalone reminders app. I don't think you'll see anything in ical.