Reminders

Great workflow--really useful. Thank you for sharing!

I want to make a minor modification and was wondering if you tell me how. It seems like it would be simple but I'm not very familiar with AppleScript. Currently, if I set a reminder such as r today release the hamsters into the wild, the reminder that gets created has a default alarm set for 24 hours from the current time. The behavior that I am trying to produce with the same command is to set a due date of tomorrow, but with no specific time and no default alarm. 

Thx!

PS I tried changing "reminder date()" to "due date()" in two "set" statements in the Applescript, but to no avail. 

Great workflow--really useful. Thank you for sharing!

I want to make a minor modification and was wondering if you tell me how. It seems like it would be simple but I'm not very familiar with AppleScript. Currently, if I set a reminder such as r today release the hamsters into the wild, the reminder that gets created has a default alarm set for 24 hours from the current time. The behavior that I am trying to produce with the same command is to set a due date of tomorrow, but with no specific time and no default alarm. 

Thx!

PS I tried changing "reminder date()" to "due date()" in two "set" statements in the Applescript, but to no avail. 

The reason the workflow doesn't work like that is because what you're asking for is really more in the realm of iCal than reminders. The purpose of setting a reminder is to be reminded. I therefore consider setting due dates (which I don't even know if you can do in Mavericks any more) to be more advanced functionality.

That said, if you want to edit the files, you just need to edit "alfred_library.scpt", find the function "actionReminderQuery" and change

set theReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:theText, remind me date:theDate, body:theBody}

to

set theReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:theText, due date:theDate, body:theBody}

Which may not work on OS 10.9.

• 1 month later...

This is an amazing workflow! specifically the ability to "r this" an email, saved me from moving to Mail Pilot, Mailbox etc...

Couple of things: 

1. When I "r this" a file in finder, the reminder seems to be created OK, but the link to the file doesn't work. Any idea why?

2. Ability to "r this" a note in notes.app would be super.

Thanks!

This is an amazing workflow! specifically the ability to "r this" an email, saved me from moving to Mail Pilot, Mailbox etc...

Couple of things: 

1. When I "r this" a file in finder, the reminder seems to be created OK, but the link to the file doesn't work. Any idea why?

2. Ability to "r this" a note in notes.app would be super.

Thanks!

Hmm looks like the file protocol changed in Mavericks (let me know if you're not using Mavericks). I'll fix that.

As for notes.app, I can't support it in this workflow because (somewhat unbelievably) its AppleScript support is lacking. It's not possible, for example, to find out what the current note being viewed is. The best I could do is grab the text off the titlebar, but that just doesn't seem good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like the Reminders app to quit after the automation is run. I saw a property closeReminders, but changing it to true didn't do anything for me. I don't know apple script well enough to understand your code; is there anything i do short of telling reminders to quit before every return statement? Thanks!

How it works is that if Reminders was closed when you run a command via alfred, it will close it again after it adds the reminder, if it was already open, then it will stay open. It's by no means foolproof, so if you find a situation where this is not the case, do let me know.

Great workflow! Thank you for creating it!

I have one question: When I input command like "r Laundry Detergent in shopping list", if I don't have "shopping" list in my reminder, nothing happens.

How about letting the workflow check the existence of the list inputted and create it if not it dose not already exist?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK so I managed to get a working script taking reminders from Reminders.app and pasting them to Taskpaper, together with their notes, dates etc.

What I'm missing now is how to change the link to the original mail into something workable in plain-text format such as Taskpaper's.

What I'm getting is e.g. message:%3Ce5cd63a20dd84cda98fa0855b71d944d@vanex03.vanleer.org.il%3E

Any ideas what to do with it? If I can get it to work, I can work out a not-so-elegant workflow sending messages etc. to reminders and automatically exporting them to Taskpaper...

Last update for today: links from Finder and Safari work great.

Here's the applescript, based on Andrew Shuttleworth's script:

# Move Reminders.app inbox to TaskPaper

# Include the due date, if there is one

tell application "Reminders"

tell account "iCloud"

tell list "TaskPaper"

set inbox_contents to (get reminders)

if length of inbox_contents is greater than 0 then

repeat with k from 1 to length of inbox_contents

set this_todo to item k of inbox_contents

set inbox_item to "- " & (get name of this_todo)

set due_date to (get due date of this_todo)

set due_date_string to ""

set done_date to (get completion date of this_todo)

set item_done to (get completed of this_todo)

set item_note to (get body of this_todo)

if item_done is true then

set yc to text -4 thru -1 of ("0000" & (year of done_date))

set mc to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & ((month of done_date) as integer))

set dc to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & (day of done_date))

set done_string to " @done(" & yc & "-" & mc & "-" & dc & ")"

end if

if item_done is false then

set done_string to " "

end if

if due_date is not missing value then

set y to text -4 thru -1 of ("0000" & (year of due_date))

set m to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & ((month of due_date) as integer))

set d to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & (day of due_date))

set due_date_string to " @due(" & y & "-" & m & "-" & d & ")"

end if

set inbox_item to inbox_item & due_date_string & " " & done_string

tell application "TaskPaper"

tell document "test.taskpaper"

make new entry with properties {name:inbox_item}

if item_note is not missing value then

make new entry with properties {name:item_note, entry type:note type}

end if

end tell

save

end tell

end repeat

delete reminders

end if

end tell

end tell

end tell

OK so I managed to get a working script taking reminders from Reminders.app and pasting them to Taskpaper, together with their notes, dates etc.

What I'm missing now is how to change the link to the original mail into something workable in plain-text format such as Taskpaper's.

What I'm getting is e.g. message:%3Ce5cd63a20dd84cda98fa0855b71d944d@vanex03.vanleer.org.il%3E

Any ideas what to do with it? If I can get it to work, I can work out a not-so-elegant workflow sending messages etc. to reminders and automatically exporting them to Taskpaper...

so if you take the bit after "message:%3C", that's the "message id", which you can use to ask Mail.app for the body of the message.

so if you take the bit after "message:%3C", that's the "message id", which you can use to ask Mail.app for the body of the message.

OK I figured out that the address is missing a "//", meaning it should be "message://%3C..." instead of "message:%3C".

Thought I'd just try to automate a "find & replace" in Taskpaper, but I don't know how.

BTW, Is there a way to change the default list for the Reminders workflow, e.g. if I want it to create by default in "Taskpaper" list instead of "Reminders"?

OK I figured out that the address is missing a "//", meaning it should be "message://%3C..." instead of "message:%3C".

Thought I'd just try to automate a "find & replace" in Taskpaper, but I don't know how.

BTW, Is there a way to change the default list for the Reminders workflow, e.g. if I want it to create by default in "Taskpaper" list instead of "Reminders"?

Ok that first thing might be a bug at my end, when you click the mail link in reminders.app does it open?

As for the default list, there's a property for this in the workflow, i think the very first post in this thread should have the details.