Reminders

Excellent! What tools did you use to debug those scary applescripts? I found myself very frustrating on writing applescript. LOL

Well I'd use Script Debugger if it wasn't so madly overpriced, so I'm stuck with plain old AppleScript editor. I generally just copy and paste different blocks of code into new scripts when I want to test them. Having created the "rtest" parameter also has proved to be a big help.

Hi Jack,

I may be missing something but I can't make insertion in a specific list work anymore.

If I write 

r tomorrow at 10:00 to test list Backlog

shouldn't it insert "test" reminder into the list Backlog?

Thanks

Gaetano 

You want:

r tomorrow at 10:00 to test in backlog list

Would it be possible to add relative dates such as 

"remind tomorrow to ..."

"remind on Friday to..."

"remind on thursday at 3pm to ..."

Here, friday refers to next friday, thursday to next thursday... That would be great because I am not very good in calculating the date of next saturday instantly (part of the problem being that I often don't know today's date). 

"remind tomorrow to ..."

"remind on Friday to..."

Here, friday refers to next friday, thursday to next thursday... That would be great because I am not very good in calculating the date of next saturday instantly (part of the problem being that I often don't know today's date). 

I think we've already got that. See: http://d.pr/i/vmy7

"remind tomorrow to ..."

"remind on Friday to..."

As @roccitman says, this is already possible. From the advanced usage section on the first post:

• r today release the hamsters into the wild
  • r tomorrow bring about financial ruin upon my enemies
  • r thursday have a banana
  • r thursday at 15.30 to ask some difficult questions

As @roccitman says, this is already possible. From the advanced usage section on the first post:

• r today release the hamsters into the wild
  • r tomorrow bring about financial ruin upon my enemies
  • r thursday have a banana
  • r thursday at 15.30 to ask some difficult questions

Great, thanks! And sorry for overlooking this. I saw the tomorrow but didn't think the 'thursday' exists...

Does anyone have any issues with your reminders being truncated?

Example:

"r Create a long reminder to see if the reminder works" may come up as "Create a long remind" instead.

Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I can't duplicate it. I ran the rtest and everything comes up ok

Example:

"r Create a long reminder to see if the reminder works" may come up as "Create a long remind" instead.

Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I can't duplicate it. I ran the rtest and everything comes up ok

I believe, in that example at least, that the word 'to' is a reserved word that the workflow uses as a delimiter. Try something like: http://d.pr/i/P1A9

I believe, in that example at least, that the word 'to' is a reserved word that the workflow uses as a delimiter. Try something like: http://d.pr/i/P1A9

I got:

create long reminder see if the reminder wo

I did it a second time and got:

create long reminder see if the reminder wor

...weird.

Edited by Mafamaticks

Example:

For me it works, so it's not an issue with the parser.

Two things spring to mind:

1. Does this occur if you just use the "radd" keyword instead of "r"?
  2. Is reminders open or closed when you attempt to add the keywords.

For me it works, so it's not an issue with the parser.

Two things spring to mind:

1. Does this occur if you just use the "radd" keyword instead of "r"?
  2. Is reminders open or closed when you attempt to add the keywords.

Sometimes it happens when Reminders is open. Sometimes it does it when it's closed. I'm gonna try radd for a while and see how that works. It seems like it happens randomly. I can never duplicate it.

It does it when I use radd as well

Edited by Mafamaticks

Hi, 

Thank you for this as it is very useful, but I am either unable to, or it is not yet supported, add a reminder with the following format.

r on 5/10/13 at 10am to test reminder workflow

it parses the 5/10/13 correctly, but it always shows 12am instead of 10am. i tried 10:00, 10am, 10 am. also, is there a way to default the year to the current year if its not there so I can just input 5/10 instead of 5/10/13?

thank you.

Hi, 

Thank you for this as it is very useful, but I am either unable to, or it is not yet supported, add a reminder with the following format.

it parses the 5/10/13 correctly, but it always shows 12am instead of 10am. i tried 10:00, 10am, 10 am. also, is there a way to default the year to the current year if its not there so I can just input 5/10 instead of 5/10/13?

thank you.

@yoose:  I can confirm this. Same happens here.  I've also tried taking away the word "at" but still shows 12am

Hi, 

thank you.

so this _should_ work, but probably doesn't in your case:

r on 5/10/13 10:00 to test reminder workflow

Can you run "rtest", paste the results into a document, and then post the "Current date" line. This will tell me how your system formats (and interprets) dates, and we can go from there.

so this _should_ work, but probably doesn't in your case:

r on 5/10/13 10:00 to test reminder workflow

Can you run "rtest", paste the results into a document, and then post the "Current date" line. This will tell me how your system formats (and interprets) dates, and we can go from there.

Hi, thank you for the reply. You are correct it does not work, it shows it at 12:00am.

"r tomorrow at 10am to test workflow" works correctly.

The current date line from rtest is:

Current date: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:28:53 PM

Hi, thank you for the reply. You are correct it does not work, it shows it at 12:00am.

"r tomorrow at 10am to test workflow" works correctly.

The current date line from rtest is:

Current date: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:28:53 PM

so it looks like 

r on 5/10/13 10:00 am to test reminder workflow

(note the space before "am") might work in your case.

This is somewhat out of my control because date formats will vary between systems, so I just use applescript to figure out the date based on what you type. I'm in the UK, so "10/5/13 10:00" works for me. For things like "tomorrow at 10:00", etc. I've coded the time calculations myself, so I know how they should behave.

This was a great workflow, thank you for building it. I'd love to see some more flexibility in what you can enter, e.g. r thursday 3.30pm, rather than needing to include AT every time etc, but otherwise, I'll be using it a lot. 

Unfortunately that's just not going to happen, as the code is currently at the point where I don't want to add more complexity to the interpretation system if it's not needed, not to mention that building a decent natural language interpreter in applescript is just too hard for me ;)

r on 5/10 12:00am to test reminder workflow

@yoose:  I can confirm this. Same happens here.  I've also tried taking away the word "at" but still shows 12am

@drking thanks for confirming this, looks like we may have a solution though

so it looks like 

r on 5/10/13 10:00 am to test reminder workflow

(note the space before "am") might work in your case.

This is somewhat out of my control because date formats will vary between systems, so I just use applescript to figure out the date based on what you type. I'm in the UK, so "10/5/13 10:00" works for me. For things like "tomorrow at 10:00", etc. I've coded the time calculations myself, so I know how they should behave.

thanks for this jack. it works with or without the space, 10:00am and 10:00 am. I am not sure why i did not try those combinations. However, it does need to year. Is there any way to parse it so the year is not required? when i use

r on 5/10 12:00am to test reminder workflow

it parses it to 5/10/12 and then defaults to 12:00pm

otherwise, it seems to work well. thanks again for the great work.

Is there any way to parse it so the year is not required?

Nope, sorry this is one for Apple. "5/10 is not a date applescript understands".

I'll consider porting that part of the code to PHP instead, but only if there's enough people requesting this to make it worth the effort.

Nope, sorry this is one for Apple. "5/10 is not a date applescript understands".

I'll consider porting that part of the code to PHP instead, but only if there's enough people requesting this to make it worth the effort.

ah, i see. well i will just have to type in those few extra characters! thanks.