Checkbox to escape backslash in {query}

This is kind of an edge case for me, but I could't find a way to solve it. Since Alfred doesn't give to option to scape backslash, I cannot parse specific Windows paths (or anything that might end with a backslash). Basically an ending backslash automatically escapes the single quote or double quote and thus breaks the syntax of any of the scripting languages allowed. I tried with Ruby's <<SOMETHING string delimiter, but the backslash, since it's not escaped, it's treated as an escape character and it's not shown.

Hope it makes sense

Thanks!

Ramiro

the thing is: I need to copy huge Windows Paths I get from other colleges, and convert them into Unix paths for us the Mac boys to browse. I can't manually replace every backslash with double backslash.

It's an edge case in my case, but I don't see why not add the escape option since the backslash is such a special character in most languages.

the thing is: I need to copy huge Windows Paths I get from other colleges, and convert them into Unix paths for us the Mac boys to browse. I can't manually replace every backslash with double backslash.

It's an edge case in my case, but I don't see why not add the escape option since the backslash is such a special character in most languages.

I was referring to doing it with a script, not manually.

ahah, ok. I'm a little lost here. I found that I cannot receive the string content 100% sure, since I need to parse it in, say, Ruby, and the backslash character might escape my last single quote, and thus break the syntax. It's like chicken and egg. How can I parse the string and escape the backslash character if it breaks the syntax of the parser? :D

Btw, I'm into PHP, Ruby and Python, but not much sh, so there might be ways of receiving that string information and escaping it that I might not know.

Thanks

ahah, ok. I'm a little lost here. I found that I cannot receive the string content 100% sure, since I need to parse it in, say, Ruby, and the backslash character might escape my last single quote, and thus break the syntax. It's like chicken and egg. How can I parse the string and escape the backslash character if it breaks the syntax of the parser? :D

Btw, I'm into PHP, Ruby and Python, but not much sh, so there might be ways of receiving that string information and escaping it that I might not know.

Thanks

Ah gotcha, I see what you are saying now. I'll look into this, thanks

This is kind of an edge case for me, but I could't find a way to solve it. Since Alfred doesn't give to option to scape backslash, I cannot parse specific Windows paths (or anything that might end with a backslash). Basically an ending backslash automatically escapes the single quote or double quote and thus breaks the syntax of any of the scripting languages allowed. I tried with Ruby's <<SOMETHING string delimiter, but the backslash, since it's not escaped, it's treated as an escape character and it's not shown.

Hope it makes sense

Thanks!

Ramiro

This tiny ruby script:

x = 'c:\path1\path2\path3\file.doc'
puts x

Will print:

c:\path1\path2\path3\file.doc

Because single quotes (') don't honor escapes. So if you used this:

x = '{query}'

Then you will get the query without issues.

Be aware however that you will need to treat that string carefully. If you insert it into a double-quoted string or command string (`) then Ruby will attempt to process the slashes as escapes.