Close All Finder Windows

I'm trying to combine this to my Quit All workflow (but tested it alone), since Finder windows stay open. I've been searching and trying things out for the past hour. I found this thread, but no matter what I do, it doesn't work. Is there a way to make it work? Or is there a working Applescript that can activate Finder and then do Option+Cmd+W?

Doesn't work:

tell application "Finder" to activate
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "w" using {command down, option down}
end tell

Regards.

I tried my code in my first post (copied below) in the Apple Script Editor. It works 100%. If I try it in Alfred, it doesn't work for some reason.

Anyone know why?

It's a basic hotkey to a NSAppleScript. A normal script does the same thing.

tell application "Finder" to activate
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "w" using {command down, option down}
end tell

Well, the above code works. It's just that adding it to an AppleScript in Alfred doesn't work for some reason. 

To make it work, I created a script with Script Editor, saved it, and then did an open file action in Alfred.

Tried your line of kind with every combination (alone, with mine, with end tell), but it doesn't work.

that's very strange

if I setup a workflow with a 'keyword' launcher, that calls a 'Run script' of type osascript(AS),

and I put on it:

on run argv
  tell application "Finder" to close every window
end run

it works just fine and all the finder windows are closed.

did you try to check on the debugger?
Edited by juliosecco

that's very strange

if I setup a workflow with a 'keyword' launcher, that calls a 'Run script' of type osascript(AS),

and I put on it:

on run argv
  tell application "Finder" to close every window
end run

it works just fine and all the finder windows are closed.

did you try to check on the debugger?

Ah, it works. Sorry about that, I am having weird things with script running for some reason. Everything works fine in the Script Editor, but then it doesn't work, as a script file, a NASAppleScript or as a script.

As a rule of thumb, don't use NSAppleScript without a good reason. Use a normal Run Script Action with Language = /usr/bin/osascript (AS) instead.

The latter is run in the background like a normal script. NSAppleScript is run on Alfred's main thread, so it will block Alfred. Because you're calling from another application, rather than a GUI-less background command, it may also do weird things with focus etc.

AppleScript is a weird beast, and some things fail utterly in a Run Script Action, but work in a Run NSAppleScript one. But try to get it to work as a Run Script Action with /usr/bin/osascript (AS) first.

As a rule of thumb, don't use NSAppleScript without a good reason. Use a normal Run Script Action with Language = /usr/bin/osascript (AS) instead.

The latter is run in the background like a normal script. NSAppleScript is run on Alfred's main thread, so it will block Alfred. Because you're calling from another application, rather than a GUI-less background command, it may also do weird things with focus etc.

AppleScript is a weird beast, and some things fail utterly in a Run Script Action, but work in a Run NSAppleScript one. But try to get it to work as a Run Script Action with /usr/bin/osascript (AS) first.

Cool. Thanks for the tip.