Alfred 3.1 pre-release - NEW workflow objects! :)

Hi All,

Just a quick post to let you know of a few new workflow objects in the 3.1 pre-release which is now available.

Alongside the self explanatory new "Dispatch Key Combo" output object and "Hide Alfred" utility object, there is an interesting new "Call External Trigger" output object. The main purpose of this object is to replace using an AppleScript action to call an external trigger to "loop back" in a workflow. It also brings several other benefits. I'll just paste the readme of the new "Call External Trigger" getting started workflow:

Alfred 3.1 adds the ability to call a workflow External Trigger directly using the "Call External Trigger" output object.

This has several advantages over the previous way of calling an external trigger using AppleScript.

1. By not using AppleScript, there is no external dependency on the Alfred app name or version.

2. Call External Trigger can be configured to call an external trigger on 'self', meaning no dependency on the current workflow bundle id.

3. Not only can the input argument be passed through to the external trigger, but also all of the current stream variables.

4. Significantly higher performance, as these calls are made internally and directly as per any other workflow stream connection.

This workflow example demonstrates how the Call External Trigger output object could be used to simulate a function / callback.

If you update to the 3.1 pre-release and add the new "Call External Trigger" workflow getting started guide from the [+] button in Alfred's workflow preferences, you'll see an interesting example of how this can be used to essentially create callback functions.

Cheers,

Andrew

Already using the "Call external trigger" and the "Delay" workflow utility to accept fractional seconds (thanks again Andrew), 

both works like a charm...   :) 

I'm also sure that the  "Dispatch Key Combo" will be super-useful.

Sincerely I didn't got the  "Hide Alfred" object, that's not more or less equivalent of the "Dont't close on actioning"? what's the difference?

thanks for the continuous effort

Giulio

Sincerely I didn't got the  "Hide Alfred" object, that's not more or less equivalent of the "Dont't close on actioning"? what's the difference?

It is equivalent of that, yes... but it allows a scenario where an action after the input can decide if Alfred should be shut or not.

It is equivalent of that, yes... but it allows a scenario where an action after the input can decide if Alfred should be shut or not.

OK.

semi-got it   :)

all in all, I just discovered today the "Dont't close on actioning" option...

time will teach me!

Edited by juliosecco

Goddammit. I've spent the last few days messing around with External Triggers and AppleScript to glue my current workflow together.

Now I'm going to have to remove all the grubby, little hacks and rewrite it all using this faster, more powerful, more resilient and all-round better method, instead.

Thanks, Andrew.

haha sorry for my bad english, Andrew. I cannot make iPhone calls anymore:

I've just thrown together a quick test workflow, and the custom actions still work. If you open up your workflow and show the debugger, then try the action again, you may see some error information relating to this... but it looks like a workflow error at this point.

Let me know :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I've just thrown together a quick test workflow, and the custom actions still work. If you open up your workflow and show the debugger, then try the action again, you may see some error information relating to this... but it looks like a workflow error at this point.

Let me know :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Oh, I had set the wrong action (continuity options instead iPhone call). Sorry for bug you!