Please allow to set two same hotkey triggers in Alfred

nikivi

I have a workflow that selects text from selection and runs a script :

jEGv74C.png

However due to nature of vim, selection in OSX does not work. I can get around that by having two hotkey triggers, one when iTerm is active and one when it is not however I cannot set the same hotkey to it, it doesn't allow me to. Is this a bug or it is intended? 

If it is intended, can you please change it as it is really annoying. I would really love to have the same hotkey working but doing different actions depending on what app is active.

Thank you. 

+1

I have a few "helper" workflows for different apps, and I like to use the same Hotkey for each one, cos it'd be daft to have to memorise a different Hotkey for each app.

But Alfred won't allow you to use the same Hotkey twice, even though the two Hotkeys are scoped for different applications and thus do not conflict.

As a result I have to use Keyboard Maestro, which doesn't have this restriction, to call Alfred.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this a bug or it is intended? 

Top tip in https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/triggers/hotkey/ 

Top tip: You can use the same hotkey for multiple actions within a single workflow. For example, you can set a hotkey to perform action A only when your browsers are in focus, while performing a different task when Mail is in focus. This can only be done within a single workflow, not across multiple ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you update to Alfred 3.2 pre-release, you now have the option to pass the active app out of the hotkey object which means you now have control over context. For example, you can have multiple connections out of a hotkey connected into filter objects which filter by the bundle id.

• 9 months later...

Just adding my +1 to allow the same hotkey in different Workflows. I understand that this wouldn't be wanted for global hotkeys (same hotkey in different workflows that work for any application), but it would be great to allow directly in the Workflow editor to set a hotkey with the same key configuration when both are restrained to different applications. Right now it's possible to do it by modifying the plist, but it would be easier and faster to do it directly in the Workflow editor.

Or even better, it would be great to remove this restriction completely and do something like Keyboard Maestro where a list of actions could pop when multiple hotkey objects interferes...

Well, in short, just adding my vote to improve this feature and make it easier :) I like having keyboard shortcuts, but this restriction makes it a little more limited in Alfred. Or, just giving an idea, what about showing a warning to the user when he is trying to set a hotkey that is already used (and maybe specifying which Workflow uses it or if it's a standard OS shortcuts) and asking him if he want to set it anyway...

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2016 at 1:03 PM, Andrew said:

If you update to Alfred 3.2 pre-release, you now have the option to pass the active app out of the hotkey object which means you now have control over context. For example, you can have multiple connections out of a hotkey connected into filter objects which filter by the bundle id.

Given that Alfred is a workflow program, I have to say this is a terrible workflow solution. Only in a minority of the cases the same shortcut in different programs is part of a single workflow. In most cases we need to set shortcuts in different programs, and they do different things in different workflows. The whole point of shortcuts is being context-dependent. Right now I have no sane shortcut left anymore, and I only have a handful of workflows (but heavily shortcut-dependent). I want to be able to get rid of most of my automator workflows (which are essentially apple scripts in disguise, just for shortcut purposes), and have everything at the same place in Alfred.

Moreover, Alfred already knows which app is the active app. Who should it force us to recheck the app when we are creating app-dependent shortcut?! It sound a bit redundant, doesn't it?

Any news about allowing the same shortcut for different apps in different workflows?

Btw, for all the others on this thread: Just edit the `Info.plist` files for your different workflows externally, and assign whatever shortcut you want. The restart Alfred, just to be sure. Alfred imposes the shortcut limitations only at  the workflow creation interface. It won't recheck possible redundancies when reloading the workflows. 

Edited by retrography

4 hours ago, retrography said:

Given that Alfred is a workflow program, I have to say this is a terrible workflow solution.

That's not what it's for. It doesn't solve the problem of not being able to assign the same Hotkey in different workflows, but it's very handy for context-dependent behaviour in a single workflow.

4 hours ago, retrography said:

Who should it force us to recheck the app when we are creating app-dependent shortcut?!

It doesn't force you to recheck. It allows you to do different things depending on which app is active.

• 11 months later...

Locking and marking this one as a duplicate of another post. Yes, I realise this one is older, but that’s the reason. The newest post has the context of Alfred 4 and already has a participation by @Andrew as well. It’s better to not split the conversation over multiple posts.

• vitor locked this topic