deanishe

I Sheet You Not: Plug Excel into Alfred

Hello! This workflow is absolutely ridiculous, unbelievably useful- so thank you once again, @deanishe! It almost made me throw my keyboard out the window when I realized how easy and powerful this could be.

So after diving in, I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to use multiple columns in one of the fields (title, subtitle)? The motivation here is to quickly see more info from the spreadsheet, but also to not have to 'fix it' with formulas on the spreadsheet itself.

2. Is there a good way to set the MATCH variable to only match if it is an exact result? I only need this for instances where I'm passing a number to the spreadsheet, but if I pass '1' to it, it's currently finding 12, 133, etc. I tried looking up the python formatting that you link to in your documentation, but it's all a bit over my head.

Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, joeynotjoe said:

Is it possible to use multiple columns in one of the fields (title, subtitle)?

No, afraid not.

6 hours ago, joeynotjoe said:

Is there a good way to set the MATCH variable to only match if it is an exact result?

Also no, I’m afraid. Alfred is filtering the results, not the workflow. It doesn’t know anything about numbers, so the query “1” means “words starting with the character ‘1’”.

Hi !

I am very very interested in this tool as I am a heavy Excel user, and I believe it would make me gain a lot of time.
I cannot get it to work with Alfred 4 though. I read through this thread quickly but I don't think this has been discussed.

Is this workflow compatible with Alfred 4 ?

I cannot populate the fields "Date_format" / "Doc_path" ... as whenever I write something in there it goes blank as soon as I press enter.

Also, when I try to create a workflow with iSyn, whenever I select an excel file it does not create the workflow.

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks !

I haven't really tested this workflow with Alfred 4, but I believe it should be compatible.

1 hour ago, Flow said:

I cannot populate the fields "Date_format" / "Doc_path" ... as whenever I write something in there it goes blank as soon as I press enter.

That should definitely not happen. It sounds like you may have a permissions issue, i.e. Alfred can't write to the workflow's info.plist.

Which version of macOS are you running? Have you tried deleting and re-installing the workflow?

I am running MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

Alfred 4 fully up to date. Should I revert to Alfred 3 maybe ?

In other workflows I have the same issue of not being able to write in those fields.

I have tried reinstalling the workflow multiple times, yes.

If I can give you any more information, please tell me.

Alfred is authorised to modify stuff on my computer :

Screen-Capture-1.png

7 minutes ago, Flow said:

I have tried reinstalling the workflow multiple times, yes.

And what happened?

Like I said, it sounds like you have a permissions issue. That means the files are not writable. It is not the same as the Security & Privacy settings you're looking at.

13 minutes ago, Flow said:

Just installed Alfred 3, and it works.. :)

Alfred 3 uses different directories, and you appear to have incorrect permissions on your Alfred 4 directories.

2 hours ago, Bernardo_V said:

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a match column on the sheet or if the workflow will always match the title only.

You can't directly specify a particular column, no. ISYN supports setting a match field, but it uses interpolation of extracted variables, rather than a specific column, as you might will often want to match across multiple columns without having to alter the spreadsheet.

Matching is fairly well documented, and the included isyncdemo quakes Script Filter shows it in action.

I happened to be working on extracting some data from an .xlsx file earlier and ended up using python & openpyxl - just wondering why you used xlrd instead @deanishe.  I'm sure you have a good reason & I know you know python way better than me....

4 minutes ago, dfay said:

just wondering why you used xlrd instead

I don't remember, tbh. Looking at the openpyxl description, it was likely because xlrd also supports .XLS files, not just .XLSX.

Hello, I hope I'm not missing this elsewhere—I've read through the documentation, but I'm not having success with exporting a date format. I've included the DATE_FORMAT in the environment variables, and even tried additionally including it in the Script area of the filter I'm using the date for:

Environment Variables:

image.png.76ad75cb68d52babd9b1e8091aa56b9f.png

In the specific script filter

image.thumb.png.ee8de9f23362a9b839619a61235887a3.png

I've tried having the date column in the workbook set as a Date in the YYYY-MM-DD as well as having it set as "general" non-specified.

Regardless, I have the same result where what is copied to the clipboard is not formatted. Example:

Date Published: 2014-09-24

When copied through the workflow, it goes to the clipboard as: 41906

I'd appreciate any help getting the YYYY-MM-DD to copy properly. Thank you!

If it's needed:

I have Alfred 4.0.4

Running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G8030)