Alfred 3.1 : new features / improvements questions

MEs

Hi,

New user to Alfred and still in the learning process here.

MAIL

I noticed on of he General Improvements of the 3.1 update was :

Add updated email attachment support for Airmail 3

With Alfred 3, I was able to achieve this by creating a file filter search and also added the folder containing the attachements from Airmail. (Thanks to deanishe)

But in fact, I didn't see any difference with 3.1... See what did change ?

And generally speaking, can Alfred search mails (not attachements, the actual email recipients, subject, content) from Mail.app ? I am doing it through a workflow so far but I am not sure this is the proper way to do it. I understood this was not possible for Airmail since they use a non standard way to store emails.

EXTERNAL TRIGGER and DISPATCH KEY COMBO

Is there any example of workflow using those new features ? Just to grasp the potential here.

Sorry to mix 2 subjects, but since both are about the latest release, I thought it may be a topic for other customers trying this latest release.

Regards

Is there any example of workflow using those new features ? Just to grasp the potential here.

Regards

External Trigger example:

Initially, this workflow was 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr6yqj984t2iyzc/Running.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Install it. Quit a couple of apps with option+return key. And then try the one above.

Disclosure: I am a newbie too.
Edited by rounak

You can take a look at an External Trigger example workflow within Alfred itself.

In the workflows preferences, click the [+] button at the bottom of the sidebar, choose Getting Started > Call External Trigger. The workflow is documented to help you understand what each stream of the workflow is doing :)

Cheers,

Vero

That refers to Alfred's support for sending files as attachments with Airmail 3, not searching Airmail 3's data.

In case Airmail 3 is the default client, to use it with the file action "Email" ? Okay this makes sense. So I will continue tu use my file filter :)

External Trigger example:

Initially, this workflow was 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr6yqj984t2iyzc/Running.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Install it. Quit a couple of apps with option+return key. And then try the one above.

Disclosure: I am a newbie too.

Thank you for those examples.

So if I guet it correctly, with external trigger, you may have a workflow that is able to cal by itself another workflow ? Juste like yours can loop on itself to after quitting an app ?

You can take a look at an External Trigger example workflow within Alfred itself.

In the workflows preferences, click the [+] button at the bottom of the sidebar, choose Getting Started > Call External Trigger. The workflow is documented to help you understand what each stream of the workflow is doing :)

Cheers,

Vero

Thank you, I did find them. Not very easy to understand to be honest. Will see if I have any use case in which this may be helpful or if someone post some workflow that may inspire me :)

I actually just wrote a medium article that discuses external triggers.  My use case was having a task that displays cache results.  Then it runs a background process and if that detects an update is needed to the data, it will use a series of external triggers to cause the alfred to hide and then reload the search results.

You can read here if you like: 

https://medium.com/@Jeef/alfred-today-my-experience-writing-a-plugin-80cbd0fea9c1#.ynbhwyur1

Very cool article. A great example of what can be done with a few Python libraries and a liberal sprinkling of skill.

Seeing how you pull the login credentials from their usual place makes me realise that Alfred-Workflow should probably be able to access other types of credentials, rather than requiring users to duplicate them or workflow developers to re-implement AW's Keychain feature…

May I ask what the attraction of Medium is? I've never really understood why people post their stuff there.

I also noticed a typo in the article: In the "Connecting to Exchange" section, you have "compnay", not "company".

Honestly I don't love medium but it's a good place to "get information out there" and hope that somebody can find it useful. I hate the code formatting on it - thats probably my biggest complaint.  

It would be nice for the workflow package to allow for both system and custom keychain support.