Navigation into app to show recent documents

rounak

Currently, .app file behaviour for right and left arrow keys is same as for folder navigation. It would be more useful to see recent documents instead with the right arrow. 

Then how are you supposed to use any of the other File Actions apart from Recent Documents…?

Just use Recent Documents… a couple of times, and it will rise to the top of the File Action list.

Then how are you supposed to use any of the other File Actions apart from Recent Documents…?

With the Action key.

Right arrow is not my action key. I don't know if its the default or not (If it is the default action key, I don't mind using tab for viewing Recent Documents. Its better to have keys do more than the same tasks). In Navigation shortcuts, I have checked left and right arrows for folder navigation. 

Edited by rounak

I don't know if its the default or not

Yes, it is.

It sounds an awful lot like you're saying, "I've selected left and right arrows for folder navigation and now I don't like that right arrow navigates into the folder".

TAB is always used to expand the query to the title of the currently-selected item (by default). Making TAB behave in a context-sensitive manner makes Alfred more confusing.

There is definitely value in applications having a one-step option to show recent files, but what you're suggesting is, imo, half-baked.
Edited by deanishe

It sounds an awful lot like you're saying, "I've selected left and right arrows for folder navigation and now I don't like that right arrow navigates into the folder".

I am only saying this for .app files (or folder, whatever).

It would be context-specific behaviour but result in more productivity.

Also, though not consistent with Alfred's behaviour, it would be more consistent with Mac OS behaviour which does not allow "ready" browsing of .app files.

This is exactly how it is implemented in LaunchBar.

Before calling an idea half-baked, maybe, you could try passing it through a though process which does not have an exit statement on encountering an error. Instead, handle the error and see what advantages comes out of it. Then weigh it against the disadvantages. That would give you a better perspective.

Edited by rounak

I am only saying this for .app files (or folder, whatever).

It would be context-specific behaviour but result in more productivity.

Also, though not consistent with Alfred's behaviour, it would be more consistent with Mac OS behaviour which does not allow "ready" browsing of .app files.

OS X also doesn't show you recent files via an .app package, so again I'm not following your "more consistent" argument.

This is exactly how it is implemented in LaunchBar.

Indeed. But Alfred's "equivalent" of Launchbar's → menu is File Actions, which is where its Recent Files… feature currently resides. And indeed, that's precisely where → takes you using Alfred's default options.

Before calling an idea half-baked, maybe, you could try passing it through a though process which does not have an exit statement on encountering an error. Instead, handle the error and see what advantages comes out of it. Then weigh it against the disadvantages. That would give you a better perspective.

Surprisingly, that process is precisely how I came to the "half-baked" conclusion.

Like I said, I think a way to go directly to Recent Documents… from an .app package would be a very useful feature. I just don't think your suggested implementation is a good one. For a start, it's based on your non-standard configuration.

How would this work using the default settings?

Is it only for the special "arrow keys for folder navigation" mode?

What happens when you're in the Recent Documents list? Is that just a shortcut to the existing File Action or some extension of Navigation Mode where the recent files are treated like other files in Navigation Mode, so you could open the File Actions list on them?

OS X also doesn't show you recent files via an .app package, so again I'm not following your "more consistent" argument.

I mentioned clearly, in my previous post, in what way it is consistent and in what way it is context-specific.

But Alfred's "equivalent" of Launchbar's → menu is File Actions, which is where its Recent Files… feature currently resides. And indeed, that's precisely where → takes you using Alfred's default options.

Wrong. LaunchBar does allow actions on .app with the Tab key whereas it show recent files on right arrow key. (Two different keys performing two different actions)

Is it only for the special "arrow keys for folder navigation" mode?

Yes. The thread title reads "Navigation" (Alfred>>Preferences>>File Search>>Navigation)

What happens when you're in the Recent Documents list? Is that just a shortcut to the existing File Action ....

Yes.

Edited by rounak

I mentioned clearly, in my previous post, in what way it is consistent and in what way it is context-specific.

As best as I can tell, the only thing it's actually consistent with is Launchbar. Is that what you meant?

Wrong. LaunchBar does allow actions on .app with the Tab key and show recent files on right arrow.

I think you must have misread the right arrow symbol I used as the one for tab.

Yes. The thread title reads "Navigation" (Alfred>>Preferences>>File Search>>Navigation)

I did't say "Navigation Mode", I said "arrow keys for navigation" mode. They're not the same thing. The latter is not the default.