FroZen_X

Indexing Folder on work Server that has strict permissions

Hello everyone,

currently I'm bringing my Mac to work and will continue as its a huge pain in the ass to work with windows(idk how everyone can overall). Like productivity especially with Alfred and Keyboard Maestro(which i bought and use heavily cause of you guys) goes beyond anything else. Well i use parallels in coherence mode but that's it and only for office tools. Anyway to the topic.

At work we have a Server with a bunch of folders which have strict permissions. I got access there and wanted to index the Folder right away. However i failed miserably. Like i tried things like this here: https://jonathansblog.co.uk/how-to-enable-spotlight-indexing-on-a-network-drive and this here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24401/spotlight-reports-indexing-and-searching-disabled-in-lion

Nothing of this seems to work as i don't have access to everything. I couldn't even make a File Filter as that relies on Spotlight. My current "workaround" is to use Launchbar aside of Alfred, because it can index on its own. Is there any way to force spotlight to index a special folder on a server? Or is there a way to feed Alfred with an index or let it make its own :/

Another workaround that i use in combo with Launchbar is, that i use a "List Filter" with all the main paths that then let me open the paths in the file view of Alfred. But yeah i can't filter the way i would like, as that doesn't provide any subfolder search uff.

As I'm typing however I see that snippets still have expanding issues :/ as a "don't" becomes a " don't".

Well I hope that someone knows a workaround/fix or idk. Launchbar is a way for the moment but I'm only on the test Version asking me to buy it every view actions lol. Buying it just for this meh....<.< >.> Alfred is faster tho and not that heavy resources wise.

Cheers everyone,

FroZen

Edited by vitor
Fixed line breaks.

You can only index AFP network drives with Spotlight.

If the files on the share don't change super-often, and you're only interested in the filenames, you could use locate to index it and plug that into a workflow.

On 28/09/2016 at 10:21 AM, deanishe said:

You can only index AFP network drives with Spotlight.

If the files on the share don't change super-often, and you're only interested in the filenames, you could use locate to index it and plug that into a workflow.

Waking this thread up from the dead :) I'm still at this issue...I have been using launchbar sometimes, but hate it...the performance is pure....when working with 

huge Indexed data and always crashes....

I just love Alfred for his performance and overall what you can do with him.

To my still persisting issue. I tried to use the locate function that you talked about @deanishe but ran into this issue:

58a4c7f343476_ScreenShot2017-02-15at22_21_44.thumb.png.5d3029267b25ba076c4be7fd578389a9.png

Telling me i don't have access even tho i do have...i can browse through everything. However i do have to sign in to get access to the server itself and 

have just permission to view one folder structure but there all the parent directories.

Could it be that I'm doing something wrong? Locate works on my local machine tho. Is there maybe another easy way?

Cheers,

Frozen