Ulysses workflow

4 hours ago, robwalton said:

How would a ulysses temporary 'context' work?

I'm finding myself spending more extended periods working in one group than I used to. I'm imaging two new commands:

usc -- Select a group to act as a search-limiting context and open that group; no argument to clear.

uc -- Open a sheet or group from within the search-limiting context; warns if no context set.

Would anyone else use this? or any better suggestions!

I can see the usefulness, but right now it's not a big factor for me. The fact that searching groups searches the group tree enables me to drill down pretty quickly to child groups if that makes sense.

There is one enhancement that would help me a bunch--the ability to open a sheet or a group in a new Ulysses window. I uses Ulysses for enough things that I frequently need to open something but not lose the sheet I have open already. I have a work around, but it would be great to have a modifier key or something that enabled opening a selected group or sheet in a new Ulysses window.

21 hours ago, alfredclough said:

There is one enhancement that would help me a bunch--the ability to open a sheet or a group in a new Ulysses window. I uses Ulysses for enough things that I frequently need to open something but not lose the sheet I have open already. I have a work around, but it would be great to have a modifier key or something that enabled opening a selected group or sheet in a new Ulysses window.

I've added a ticket to GitHub as this is a good idea: Add modifier key to open group or sheet in new window .

• 1 month later...

This looks like a really useful workflow, thanks for making it! Quick question: Can I use the un command to append text to an existing sheet? In the description on GitHub it looked like that was possible, but I can't get it to work. Creating a new sheet works great, though. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... I would appreciate any help =)

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2018 at 2:13 PM, JPal said:

Can I use the un command to append text to an existing sheet? In the description on GitHub it looked like that was possible, but I can't get it to work. Creating a new sheet works great, though. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... I would appreciate any help =)

HI @jpal, unfortunately the `un` command does not append. I've removed the suggestion that it does from the doc.

It would be a great feature, but I recall it being very difficult to add. The workflow reverse engineers the data structure stored on disk, and this does not give access to Ulysses note's UUIDs required for appending to a note via x-callback. Sorry. If I start using Ulysses again sometime in earnest I'll give it another shot.

• 1 month later...

It's not working for me using the new Ulysses 13 (new as in about a week ago). I'm getting `workflow.py:2243 ERROR    not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 9` and I've made an issue on GitHub here: https://github.com/robwalton/alfred-ulysses-workflow/issues/10

On 5/31/2018 at 7:30 PM, Altimor said:

Am I the only one for whom this workflow doesn't work anymore?

I've had problems with this too.  It's been going on for months.  It thought it was because I was on the Beta for Ulysses, but it should be working now, right?

I've attached a screenshot of what I get as error message. Can't find any discussion of this.  Help would be much appreciated, because I really rely on Ulysses for quick notes, and will do at least until Drafts 5 comes to the Mac…

Ulysses Workflow for Alfred gives error message with %22un%22 Screenshot 2018-06-09.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Altimor, @dfay, @EvanLovely & @Joel a,

Thanks for the error reports. I've fixed this in v.1.0.4 to GitHub. Please let me know if it all works as expected and I'll push to packal.

(The update to Ulysses 13 changed the file format of the plist file used to describe each group to a binary format not supported by the built in python library. At some point this thing will probably fail terminally as it ties in below Ulysses' supported API.)

Edited by robwalton
link formatting
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a challenge for robwalton.  Could you try and find the time to write a script that would: 1.  Open an Excel workbook, copy all of the spreadsheets within, and paste to a new Excel workbook, then close both files and Excel.  2,  Open a Word document, copy everything, open a new document, paste everything (including formatting and macros), Save both, close both.  3.  Open a PowerPoint presentation, copy all, open a new PowerPoint template, paste everything (including formatting and macros) to a new  PowerPoint presentation, and close both.

Author an action item dialog that would do that, separately for Excel, Word and PowerPoint.

That would be of real help to me, running workflows that merely post text to the clipboard or to an unneeded black text file or play a sound is for children; I find that many of the examples on Alfred are not practical workflows that offer the user real work answers to real challenges.

If I know how to code, I would write the script myself, unfortunately, I am too old and set in my ways to embark on such a challenge as learning code now. (64)

I would be greatly appreciative if you did that; that would be some real-world problem-solving.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:05 AM, PAUL R FONTENOT said:

I would be greatly appreciative if you did that; that would be some real-world problem-solving.

Thanks for the challenge. I only work on projects which I have some personal interest in though; and I have plenty of 'real-world problem-solving' to get on with already! Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob, thanks for your work on this! I have tried the workflow for a couple of days and I cannot seem to make the UN + Group work. When I write UN [+text] and choose a group to add the new sheet to, the alfred dialogue box disappears but no new sheet is added to the group. Am I doing something wrong? Or could you modify the workflow to make it work?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I've noticed that since the Ulysses 15 update, new sheets appear as "Unknown Type" in the search filter output. Digging around, this appears to be because the .ulysses document bundles now store their data in a Content.xml file, whereas parse_ulysses.py expects the contents in a plain Text.txt file. Has anyone worked up a patch yet, by chance?

Edited by Andy Matuschak
  • 1 month later...

Am I the only one for whom it doesn't work? Ulysses 15.2, Alfred 3.8.1, workflow 1.0.4.

Zrzut ekranu 2019-05-13 o 17.43.53.png

Edit:

1. What I wanted to achieve: to use any of the commands.

2. What happened instead: the error message above pasted, similar to those mentioned in posts from last year.

3. What does debugger show:

Starting debug for 'Ulysses'

[2019-05-13 20:43:15][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 20:43:15 workflow.py:2225 DEBUG    Workflow version : 1.0.4
20:43:15 workflow.py:1628 DEBUG    Reading settings from `/Users/jakub/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Workflow Data/com.github.robwalton.alfred-ulysses-workflow/settings.json` ...
20:43:15 workflow.py:2509 INFO     Checking for update ...
20:43:15 background.py:178 DEBUG    Command arguments cached to `/Users/jakub/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/com.github.robwalton.alfred-ulysses-workflow/__workflow_update_check.argcache`
20:43:15 background.py:182 DEBUG    Calling [u'/usr/bin/python', '/Users/jakub/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7AAE523C-004F-4FC5-AB3D-FC4B2F0E5B7D/workflow/background.pyc', u'__workflow_update_check'] ...
20:43:15 workflow.py:2225 DEBUG    Workflow version : 1.0.4
20:43:15 background.py:187 DEBUG    Executing task `__workflow_update_check` in background...
20:43:15 ulysses_items.py:59 INFO     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20:43:15 ulysses_items.py:60 INFO     ulysses_items.main(wf): args = 
Namespace(kind='group', limit_scope_dir=None, query=u'', search_content=False, search_ulysses_path=True)
20:43:15 ulysses_items.py:61 INFO     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20:43:15 workflow.py:2444 DEBUG    update_data : None
20:43:15 ulysses_items.py:86 INFO     Added iCloud items from '/Users/jakub/Library/Mobile Documents/X5AZV975AG~com~soulmen~ulysses3/Documents/Library/Groups-ulgroup'
20:43:15 workflow.py:2243 ERROR    
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/jakub/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7AAE523C-004F-4FC5-AB3D-FC4B2F0E5B7D/workflow/workflow.py", line 2236, in run
    func(self)
  File "ulysses_items.py", line 89, in main
    include_sheets)
  File "ulysses_items.py", line 149, in parse_ulysses_for_groups_and_sheets
    groups_tree = parse_ulysses.create_tree(root_dir, None)
  File "/Users/jakub/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7AAE523C-004F-4FC5-AB3D-FC4B2F0E5B7D/parse_ulysses.py", line 140, in create_tree
    child_group = create_tree(join(rootgroupdir, child_groupdir), group)
  File "/Users/jakub/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7AAE523C-004F-4FC5-AB3D-FC4B2F0E5B7D/parse_ulysses.py", line 140, in create_tree
  File "/Users/jakub/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.7AAE523C-004F-4FC5-AB3D-FC4B2F0E5B7D/parse_ulysses.py", line 126, in create_tree
    assert 'Info.ulgroup' in filelist
AssertionError
20:43:15 workflow.py:2246 INFO     For assistance, see: https://github.com/robwalton/alfred-ulysses-workflow
20:43:15 workflow.py:2267 DEBUG    Workflow finished in 0.710 seconds.

Edited by Jakub Sypiański
2 hours ago, Jakub Sypiański said:

Am I the only one for whom it doesn't work? Ulysses 15.2, Alfred 3.8.1, workflow 1.0.4.

Zrzut ekranu 2019-05-13 o 17.43.53.png

Jakub, unfortunately "it doesn't work" and "Error in workflow" are not actionable descriptions of an issue. Please read the stickied post on posting useful error reports. You're much more likely to get a useful answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question--that said, I am an absolute beginner: is there a way to have a Hotkey that would open up a mini app in Alfred that would have all the commands from this Ulysses workflow. It would look like the one for Spotify Mini Player [like when you push command+option+s], and I also copied one to the Things workflow [I set to command+option+t], .  

Edited by the.actual
  • 1 month later...

@Jakub Sypiański I've been having the same problem for months. Ulysses changed their file format around the new year, and the workflow doesn't support the new one.

I went ahead and added support this morning. I've opened a pull request with the change. You can subscribe to it here to know when it's been merged into the main workflow, or if you're able, you can run the updated workflow directly from my fork.

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2019 at 4:55 PM, Andy Matuschak said:

@Jakub Sypiański I've been having the same problem for months. Ulysses changed their file format around the new year, and the workflow doesn't support the new one.

I went ahead and added support this morning. I've opened a pull request with the change. You can subscribe to it here to know when it's been merged into the main workflow, or if you're able, you can run the updated workflow directly from my fork.

Absolute beginner here, I've tried to get Andy's version working but it seems no matter what I do I get a "The workflow you are trying to import is invalid." error when I try to install. Alfred 4 here. Can anyone point me to anything that might help? (Is there a logfile that would help identify the error more?)