Secure Text Entry locked

vBAq

@Doberman Did you read my suggestions above your post? I've provided all the steps you can take to establish which app or browser plugin is the likely source of your issue.

As we don't have access to your Mac and don't know your exact setup, you'll have to take the steps above in order to work out which app or plugin is locking secure input.

Cheers,
Vero

Hi Vero,

So aI am clear, I quit all apps using quit all apps. Same issue. 

When you say quit all services, what do you mean by that? I disabled all my startup items. When I run system monitor I have 512 services running. 

Thank you

Also, I just installed Web Root which I can not quit/exit. You think that may be causing the issue?

Edited by Doberman
12 hours ago, Doberman said:

When you say quit all services, what do you mean by that?

Quit everything that doesn't need to be running.

One of your other applications has a bug and is failing to disable Secure Entry. You need to identify the buggy app and do something about it because snippet expanders like Alfred can't work if Secure Entry is on.

This is not a bug in Alfred, and it can't be fixed from Alfred's side. Only the app that turned on Secure Entry can turn it off again.

I'll add one further observation but apologies if it doesn't help in this specific case. I've previously discovered that, on occasion, unlocking a MacBook Pro using an Apple Watch will leave secure input enabled. When that happens to me I simply lock the machine and then unlock it again using Touch ID. That invariably fixes the problem for me. Sorry again if it doesn't help you.

(There is a method of checking whether secure input is enabled—because, if it is, for some mysterious reason holding down a key will not display alternative accented characters associated with that key.)

Stephen

3 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

for some mysterious reason holding down a key will not display alternative accented characters associated with that key

That's a handy trick for quickly checking if Secure Input is the problem. The reason for it is presumably the same reason snippets don't work: the subsystem responsible for showing the accented characters can't monitor your keystrokes when Secure Input is enabled.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

The reason for it is presumably the same reason snippets don't work: the subsystem responsible for showing the accented characters can't monitor your keystrokes when Secure Input is enabled.

Ah yes, indeed: thanks for the explanation.

Stephen

• 1 year later...