Search contacts with argument

Misha

Hi guys, is there any way to only search for contacts if you for instance type "c" first (or any prefix). Like "c john smith" would give me the contact viewer with john smith, while just "john smith" would simply launch the browser/search engine?

(I don't want to enable "contacts" in default search results, because it would clog up the results, but I would also like the built-in contacts handlers).

Hi @Misha,

The simplest way to do this is to type the name of your contact and:

• Press return to launch it in Alfred's Contacts Viewer
  • Press Cmd + O to open it in the Contacts app :)
  • Hold Ctrl + press return to perform a search using your default fallback search (usually Google)

You can find out about holding Cmd, Ctrl and Alt, and set your preferred modified actions in Alfred's Advanced preferences in the right column of settings :)

Cheers,
Vero

Hi Vero, thanks a lot for your quick response. I knew about these moves, it's just that I don't want the contacts to always clog up the lists of results. I only want the contacts to be in the results list when I for instance type a "c" first. Is that possible?

@Misha Yes, you can use a File Filter workflow for this - here's one I've created that uses the keyword "co" and searches for text within the contact's details (I think the objective was to search the associated notes). Feel free to modify it in any way you like to suit your needs, of course.

Here's the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnwnnaga3hvyda7/Contacts Filter for Text Content.alfredworkflow

Cheers, :)

Vero

• 9 months later...