Kill Process Workflow

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2015 at 8:31 AM, Smith007 said:

Can we please have an option to relaunch an app, not just kill it? For example if we hold the Shift key with "kill" the workflow can forcequit and relaunch the app, that would be very useful!

On 3/5/2015 at 8:56 AM, ngreenstein said:

That's a great idea! I'm afraid I don't have time to add this at the moment, but, if anyone feels up to it, they're more than welcome to submit a pull request on the GitHub repo. Thanks!

6 years late, but I just came across this workflow and I really like how well-designed it is, so I've submitted a pull request to add the kill-and-relaunch feature. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any way to do it without changing the output format from XML to JSON (see relevant bug report), which meant dropping support for Alfred 2. The workflow can be downloaded here.

Edited by Mingwei
  • 11 months later...

Hello There,

I'm new on Workflows and know nothing about Ruby.
So I was wondering if is possible to setup a keyword that can kill  a group of pre-selected apps.
For example:

I use a keyword to launch my Work Environment:
   - launch Excel 
   - launch WinWord
   - launch my company web site. 

When I'm launching my Personal Environment, I want the script or the keyword to: 
  - kill Excel
  - kill Winword
   - Launch my Notes App
 - launch my personal website

Its that possible? I'm using Alfred5 currently.

I found Kill Process Workflow great to use, but I can't set to kill multiple process with a single keyword

Edited by Rigonatti

@Rigonatti This is quite an old thread and Alfred has evolved a lot since then :)

You should be able to do exactly what you want without a single line of code using Alfred's Automation Tasks:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/automations/automation-task/

You can start your workflow with a keyword for work and connect it to the "Launch Apps / Files" object to launch the apps you need for work (and ahem, quit any distracting personal ones if needed ;) )

Do much the same when setting up your personal environment, but use Automation Task (Under Core Automation Tasks > macOS, choose either the Quit Apps or Quit All Apps, with Exceptions) to quit any apps you no longer want active.

image.png

Start creating your workflow and, if you need any help, share your workflow-in-progress and we'll be happy to help :)

8 hours ago, Vero said:

@Rigonatti This is quite an old thread and Alfred has evolved a lot since then :)

You should be able to do exactly what you want without a single line of code using Alfred's Automation Tasks:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/automations/automation-task/

You can start your workflow with a keyword for work and connect it to the "Launch Apps / Files" object to launch the apps you need for work (and ahem, quit any distracting personal ones if needed ;) )

Do much the same when setting up your personal environment, but use Automation Task (Under Core Automation Tasks > macOS, choose either the Quit Apps or Quit All Apps, with Exceptions) to quit any apps you no longer want active.

image.png

Start creating your workflow and, if you need any help, share your workflow-in-progress and we'll be happy to help :)

Hi @Vero 

Thank you so much for the tips. 

I've created and workflow using (only) Alfred's Automation Tasks. 

I'm glad that you answered so I also included a small thank-you note on the credits mentioning you.

(Please, let me know if the links are correct).

I'm gonna try to figure out the best language to create a script to build a setup menu that can't customize the 'Workspaces Names'  and also show a list of apps  installed that can't be added to the workspace trough Alfred spotlight. 

If you have any other suggestion to improve or correct anything. Just let me know. 

Here is the WorkFlow Momentum Workspace Launcher

Txs again,