Srisri

how to use "in" with file filter

Hi,

I am new to Alfred. I have a small question. I want to search inside documents of a certain file type. I have used the "in" prefix which seems to work, but it does not work along with file filter i created. For example, my filter is extension .gaml which is basically a text file with that extension to suit as a input to a particular open source software. 

While this file filter works, I am unable to use then use the "in" prefix to search inside this gaml files.

could someone suggest how i can use both "in" and file filter?

Thanks

Sri

Edited by Srisri

@Srisri You'll need to configure the search fields for the filter to look at text content. Select the Advanced tab of the file filter config sheet and from the + button, select kMDItemTextContent. Remove the other items so it looks like the following:

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 10.56.29.png

Then, just use the file filter's keyword and search terms.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the quick response. This seems so easy. It works :)

Is there  a limitation on which kind of files can (or cannot) be searched inside of?

Thank you

Sri

@Srisri Alfred uses the macOS metadata store for file search, which acts a bit like a full text search lucene index. As long as the file is seen by macOS as having a style of plain text, it should be indexed and therefore searchable by Alfred with kMDItemTextContent :)

Cheers,

Andrew 

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Srisri You'll need to configure the search fields for the filter to look at text content. Select the Advanced tab of the file filter config sheet and from the + button, select kMDItemTextContent. Remove the other items so it looks like the following:

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 10.56.29.png

Then, just use the file filter's keyword and search terms.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

That is exactly what i needed the other day. Awesome! Now i included it into my Workflows :D Tyvm