Simple Open Specific Chrome Profile Workflow

Hey Guys,

I was inspired to create my first workflow to open a new window in a specific Chrome Profile since I work between several profiles and have certain permissions in certain profiles.

This simple workflow was inspired by @Balverine commenting on another Chrome profiles workflow that no longer works.

How It Works

This is a very simple workflow that will open different chrome profiles using a simple Alfred command. Each time you use the command, a new chrome browser window will open for the specified profile.

The workflow is built with pre-defined arguments 1, 2 and 3. "cp 1" opens the first chrome profile (usually called "Default" by chrome), "cp 2" the second (called Profile 1 by chrome) and so on.

[cmd arg] = [chrome profile name]

cp 1 = Default
cp 2 = Profile 1
cp 3 = Profile 2

This workflow will require some simple customization to function properly with your Chrome-assigned profile names IF they differ from the above or you want to change the associated argument (i.e. you want Profile 2 to open with cp 1)

Find your Chrome Profile Name

In the workflow, you will need to change the [Profile #] in each Run Script to match the Chrome-created profile name you want to open. The "profile name" used in this workflow is NOT the chrome profile name you created/defined; it is the name in the profile pathway and assigned by Chrome.

To find the proper profile name for each Chrome Profile:

Step 1: open chrome://version/ while in each Chrome profile you have

Step 2: Find "Profile Path" and copy the end of the pathway: /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Profile 5 

In the above example, the proper profile name is: "Profile 5"

Step 3: In the workflow, you will need to update the profile name in each /bin/zsh to match yours.

For example, in the top /bin/zsh:

/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --args --profile-directory="Default"

384169247_ScreenShot2022-01-22at8_47_45PM.thumb.png.58adcdf31bac244b41a03f18bca3a065.png

changes to

/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --args --profile-directory="Profile 5"

1726943552_ScreenShot2022-01-22at8_48_40PM.thumb.png.099c61ae8edec6005566e852aae868b7.png

I hope those of you will multiple profiles will find this useful and others will take it and improve on the functionality. I am not a coder so hopefully someone will expand this workflow to do a lot more things.

Link to download:

https://github.com/alexxonly/SimpleChromeProfiles

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...